Hsc mc 2004 q13 pom (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
A student used the apparatus to determine the molar heat of combustion of propanol.

Results:
Mass of 1-propanol burnt = 0.60g
Mass of Water heated = 200g
Initial Temp of Water = 21 C

The molar heat of combustion of 1-propanoil is 2021 kJ mol-1, Assuming no heat loss, what would be the final temperature of the water?

My Attempt:
AFIK we have to find T from the q=mCT equation.

The answer for some reason omits the 10^3 from the denominator, giving it to be around 24 C, therefore the final is C, 45 degrees.

EDIT: I found my 'error'. The mass described in q=mCT seems to be separate, so it's in kg rather than g corresponding to the molar mass found. So when you use the n = m/mm formula and use grams, you don't convert it into kg?

Attachments

Last edited:

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
A student used the apparatus to determine the molar heat of combustion of propanol.

Results:
Mass of 1-propanol burnt = 0.60g
Mass of Water heated = 200g
Initial Temp of Water = 21 C

The molar heat of combustion of 1-propanoil is 2021 kJ mol-1, Assuming no heat loss, what would be the final temperature of the water?

My Attempt:
AFIK we have to find T from the q=mCT equation.

The answer for some reason omits the 10^3 from the denominator, giving it to be around 24 C, therefore the final is C, 45 degrees.

EDIT: I found my 'error'. The mass described in q=mCT seems to be separate, so it's in kg rather than g corresponding to the molar mass found. So when you use the n = m/mm formula and use grams, you don't convert it into kg?
You need to convert grams into kg :)

Just saw your edit :)

mm is given in grams/mol rather than kg/mol. So, mass in that eqn is given in grams :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)