HSC Pathways. (1 Viewer)

pandaaMONIA

HSC
I've been ill for a lot of my HSC, and lost my father from suicide late last year. Up until now I have been struggling, albeit passing HSC subjects.
I've come to the conclusion that pathway might be an option for me, as of now.
I just have a few questions...

Currently I do Japanese Extension, English Extension I, Mathematics and Society and Culture. I finished the Chemistry and Mathematics Extension I preliminary courses.
Does this mean that for example, I could do:
2010 -
Japanese Continuers, English Extension I, Society and Culture. (7 units)
2011 -
Japanese Extension, Mathematics Extension I, Chemistry (6 units)

I'm not sure If I'll do it yet, so discussing the pros and cons would be a good idea. I just haven't been at school for the past few days, and It's just hit me how much this whole deal is actually starting to affect me. :/

Edit:
Also, would it be possible to do, say, Biology next year? Even though I have not completed the prelim HSC? thankyou.

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
From my experience it should be possibe to complete both the preliminary and hsc courses in one year, this is probably an easier option.
Here's what i do/have done:
2009 - HSC & PRELIM Biology and Mathematics
PRELIMINARY IPT, Business Studies and SOR II
2010 - HSC & PRELIM English Advanced
HSC IPT, Business Studies and SOR II

Of those subjects I do IPT and Business Studies by distance education and the extra (2nd) unit of SOR II in my own time (e.g. in studies, at home)

Last year I found it was a lot easier to flow straight from preliminary and into HSC for mathematics as it cut out a lot of needless relearning of stuff I would have otherwise forgotten. It also allowed me to focus a lot more on just biology and mathematics rather than having to study for 5 different subjects and having to prep for 6 exams.

The main downside would probably be the pressure. For Biology we ran behind schedule and ended up cramming the entire HSC course into the final term of year 12 which was really stressful (probably wouldn't happen if it ws organised well).
Also for Advanced English I have an assessment due every two week s without fail from now until the trials + twice as many lessons each week. This can make the subjects seem to drag out forever because there's little variety, but at the same time it makes it easier to focus since there's only one task at a time. The workload is also increased in a way because you have two years worth of studying out of school compressed into one year.

The main pro would probably be a decreased stress at having to focus on less subjects and being able to sit a decreased amount of exams.

note: This is the model in which my school does the HSC 'cause it's really tiny.

Good Luck with it, i'm sure however it turns out you'll do fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)