HSC POETS 09! Unite! (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Cmon, there has to be more than one of me.
What's everyone doing?
Hows the logbooking going? (ughhh)
How did everyones proposal go?

aindeed

HSC
I'm doing poetry...completely and utterly regret it.
It's like drawing blood from a freaking stone.
Thinking of swapping

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Yeah everyone laughed at me for picking poetry. Literally, scoffed in my face. Which really enthused and encouraged me.

I don't reckon it's hard, really. I've certainly learnt that you can't manufacture creative energy. But when i get into a concept i just go for it, and it's great.
I just wait to be inspired!

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
Ah, count me in to the countless hours of frustration!

Waiting to be inspired doesn't quite work for me, unfortunately, I simply end up doing nothing. Thus, my logbook is quite light as of the moment -_-

But wondering if you may have any recommendations on good resources/texts concerning poetic structures and forms?

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I didn't really use any texts on poetic structure etc, as i knew what i wanted to do (structurally) from the get go.
I'd just go to your local library and type 'poetry' into their database. I definitely saw some at my local library (Warringah) when i was looking for Australian poetry. Theres heaps of 'How to write Poetry' and 'Enjoying and Appreciating Poetry' books out there :)

catherinet

HSC
*Feels like i belong*
Oh God! "belonging"
:devil:

I have found that it really helps to only wirte when you are inspired, because otherwise it jus sounds superficial and forced.
Also, when you have an idea, write the poem THAT day! Because otherwise, you write it in your journal and then forget what you mean...

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
AHHHH BELONGING!
Yeah, although i have written some goodies after not thinking i was wholly inspired, and just 'going with the flow'.

It all depends on your style really. And just the way you work.

devinevitriol

HSC
I'm doing poetry, having actually written anything
But my journal is almost FULL of research ^^;

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
I'm doing poetry, having actually written anything
But my journal is almost FULL of research ^^;
haha oh my you remind me of myself

pro tip: start writing, right now. who gives a damn if it's bad, just that down. get all of those 3500 words (minimum) down and then re-draft.

repeat x as much as possible.

research is great for the viva and for foundations to give you your bearings
but at the end of the day
you need a major work.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
sup homedog.

i'm kinda at an awkward standstill right now. writers block! oh and the fact that i have 532375072 assessments.

hows you?

nicole.r.2009

HSC
I'm doing poetry too. Nearly finished my first draft, I'm around 3200 at the moment, just wondering whats the word limit? I know its meant to be around 3500, but it that minimum, maximum or approx. ?

Asubmarine

HSC
ts up?

I'm in the midst of a first draft, can't handle not editing what I write though so its going a bit slow lol.
probs about 500 words behind where i'd like to be.

Am interested in what everyone's reading as background. Who's everyone influenced by? Do you guys think you write like anyone in particular?

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Background reading i'm doing is mostly Beat poets of the 60's Allen Ginsberg, Kenneth Rexroth, Jack Kerouac.

My MW is a suite of poems that discusses and contemplates the societal effects of consumerism, and the future of our consumerist society. It's very contemporary, both in style (postmodernism- woo!) and topic. So far, i've loved the process, and loved letting my creative juices flow. I gave myself alot of freedom, which i think is the way to go.

I have developed two distinct writing styles. I either write really colloquially, but kind of honestly and simple. Or i write really eloquently and lavish my poems with heavy metaphor and complex simile. I fluctuate between the two, which is frustrating, especially midway through a poem!

Anyway tell me about yours. How long does it take for you guys to write one poem? And what are you guys doing? Epics, Ballads, Haikus? haha.

Asubmarine

HSC
It makes me happy that you're a beat fan. Have you listened to Ginsberg read? I've got a recording of him reciting "Kaddish" (amongst other things) and it's fantastic.
I'd probably claim the beats as one of my main influences on how i try to choose words and arrange my poems rhythmically, Ginsberg and Gary Snyder are prob the two i read and enjoy most. And although he's not a beat I find myself similarly inclined towards the poetry of Charles Bernstein. I've also drawn alot from the images of culturally different poets like Garcia Lorca and Basho.

Consumerism sounds interesting. One of those areas that is open to alot of innovative interpretation because its a new concept, but would also be easy to slip into cliche. From your other posts I have no doubt you'll take the innovative route lol.

My MW is a collection of relatively short free verse poems (some haikai) that try to combine the philosophies on nature of different cultures' poetic movements. It's a re-interpretation of traditional eastern views on the connection between man and nature.

I'm not really regular in the time it takes to write a poem. On a good day i'll get 2 or 3 poems done like 100-180 words (maybe a little more) but then will find myself cutting it down for the next week. This is probably because of the shortness of the poems and how much i find myself just skimming through and wanting to make changes. Am currently at the 1700 word mark.

Last edited:

catherinet

HSC
sup homedog.

i'm kinda at an awkward standstill right now. writers block! oh and the fact that i have 532375072 assessments.

hows you?
Dude, bro, mate,

I'm going verrrryy slowly...

I have done 3 poems, out of 14...

hmm...

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Dude, bro, mate,

I'm going verrrryy slowly...

I have done 3 poems, out of 14...

hmm...

I reckon it's better to go slower and produce something fantastic.

Don't do what I did the other day, and write a piece of shit because I felt an immense amount of pressure from my teacher.

It just came out rubbish. I thought it was rubbish, and my teacher thought it was rubbish (which didn't at all help my mental state).

Anyway, I have my Viva tomorrow. Better be off!

catherinet

HSC
I reckon it's better to go slower and produce something fantastic.

Don't do what I did the other day, and write a piece of shit because I felt an immense amount of pressure from my teacher.

It just came out rubbish. I thought it was rubbish, and my teacher thought it was rubbish (which didn't at all help my mental state).

Anyway, I have my Viva tomorrow. Better be off!
:( , I'm sure that you're an awesome writer.

Good luck for your Viva :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)