hsc scam? (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
How is it a 'scam' that private schools set different trial exams? The moderation process means that all that would affect is the relative assessment mark between different students at the same school. And there's no real benefit in having an easy trial paper, because when it comes to the HSC exam, having more practice will always bring better results.
it's the closest thing to a scam that could exist. i don't believe in any of this special provisions bull shit or any scam at all for that matter

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
Rubbish. It is a scandal these private schools using their rich resources to rort the system. Can you believe that one school was given special consideration for over 40% of its students sitting this year's HSC. Special consideration for such frivolous reasons as poor handwriting (learn how to write!), emotional disabilities (it is so hard to verify this; Psychology is not exactly an exact science; you have the money you can get a psychiatrist/psychologist to vouch for the condition) etc etc. You can have a look at the students as they stream out of that school and tell yourself: do they look any different from you? Can you believe over 40 % have some disability or other? You'd think many of the rich private schools are schools for the disabled. They probably have a whole department handling such rorts. What becomes of many of these privileged students? They go into society thinking it is the right thing to do to exploit every loophole to the hilt in order to get ahead in life.

It seems perverse that students from generally more privileged backgrounds should have a higher incidence of disabilities.
lolololololol I disagree with you so so so much. retard haha

HSC
Rubbish. It is a scandal these private schools using their rich resources to rort the system. Can you believe that one school was given special consideration for over 40% of its students sitting this year's HSC. Special consideration for such frivolous reasons as poor handwriting (learn how to write!), emotional disabilities (it is so hard to verify this; Psychology is not exactly an exact science; you have the money you can get a psychiatrist/psychologist to vouch for the condition) etc etc. You can have a look at the students as they stream out of that school and tell yourself: do they look any different from you? Can you believe over 40 % have some disability or other? You'd think many of the rich private schools are schools for the disabled. They probably have a whole department handling such rorts. What becomes of many of these privileged students? They go into society thinking it is the right thing to do to exploit every loophole to the hilt in order to get ahead in life.

It seems perverse that students from generally more privileged backgrounds should have a higher incidence of disabilities.
you are one of the biggest fucking idiots i have ever heard of.

jet

Banned
HSC
everyone here is missing where the scam is. apart from independent schools and catholic systemic schools that get the independent and cssa trials (i don't know about public schools) but alll private schools make their own trials. i've seen their trials and to be honest they are quite easy compared to what is in the cssa and independent papers. but then again not even some independent or catholic systemic schools are exempt from this because some actually go through two sets of trials (the first either the independent/cssa paper and the second the one the school makes themselves). so the scam is in the internal marking. plus i'm quite sure there are some teachers out there in all kinds of schools that mess with internal marks.

for some private schools (i won't name any), the way they ensure good marks is making sure every student is up to par by repeating them if they're not.
You obviously don't know much about how internal marks are used.

philphie

Banned
HSC
You obviously don't know much about how internal marks are used.

despite moderation i still think if an administrative scam was even possible it would have to exist in the internal marking. i can't see a way for private school administrations to have any effect on external marking.

plus if you wanted to cheat the hsc it wouldn't really be that hard anyway. during my tests the BOS supervisors spent most of their time talking amongst each other so i could've easily read any notes if i did have notes with me

jet

Banned
HSC
despite moderation i still think if an administrative scam was even possible it would have to exist in the internal marking. i can't see a way for private school administrations to have any effect on external marking.

plus if you wanted to cheat the hsc it wouldn't really be that hard anyway. during my tests the BOS supervisors spent most of their time talking amongst each other so i could've easily read any notes if i did have notes with me
The only thing for private schools to mess with is the assessment rank order of students. That's it. And even then, we check them to make sure they're right.

The actual marks which they give BOS are not used at all, just the relative gaps between them.

And the fact that you can cheat because the supervisors aren't watching is not the school's doing, the supervisors are hired by BOS (or CEO).

spazamataz

HSC
Many students at my school got special provisions (its private), while some of my friends from public schools told me that they didn't even know how to apply for special considerations, and though it was only for severely disabled people.

jet

Banned
HSC
We were told we couldn't unless it was genuine. Had to have all these sessions with school counsellor and stuff.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
What special provisions are we talking about? Readers and writers are so not special provisions since I can probably write faster than any writer and am capable of reading.

I can't see any advantage to anything else really?

jet

Banned
HSC
What special provisions are we talking about? Readers and writers are so not special provisions since I can probably write faster than any writer and am capable of reading.

I can't see any advantage to anything else really?
Typing on laptops? Extra breaks for sore hands + extra time?

timote

HSC
Due to my illegible hand writing I was provided a writer for my exams. You try telling someone what to write, it was a very painful ordeal.

Internal marks mean nothing if your entire year fails the final exams due to the school setting easy trials/assessments @_@

philphie

Banned
HSC
The only thing for private schools to mess with is the assessment rank order of students. That's it. And even then, we check them to make sure they're right.

The actual marks which they give BOS are not used at all, just the relative gaps between them.

And the fact that you can cheat because the supervisors aren't watching is not the school's doing, the supervisors are hired by BOS (or CEO).
yes i know that, that's why i said BOS supervisors??? that argument had nothing to do with schools cheating, i was simply making a point on easier ways to cheat

dog on heat

check it out uh uh uh uh
HSC
I have heard stories from 3 of my teachers about how at their old schools large amounts ("nearly all" of one GPS school) of kids accessed special provisions to get extra time and such even if they didn't need it, it doesn't happen at my school so I can't say I've seen it 1st hand but I personally believe the system is frequently exploited.

Some of the ones I have heard of are a joke, like extra time for 'sore hands' and such, I did my SC with a fractured thumb AND a boxer's fracture (5th metacarpal), both on my writing hand and I didn't ask for extra time or anything, just took a few painkillers and removed my splints for the exam. I think people that deserve provisions should most definitely get them, the rest should not.
have a whinge
pay more for schooling, or just apply for special provisions you penk.

philphie

Banned
HSC
I have heard stories from 3 of my teachers about how at their old schools large amounts ("nearly all" of one GPS school) of kids accessed special provisions to get extra time and such even if they didn't need it, it doesn't happen at my school so I can't say I've seen it 1st hand but I personally believe the system is frequently exploited.

Some of the ones I have heard of are a joke, like extra time for 'sore hands' and such, I did my SC with a fractured thumb AND a boxer's fracture (5th metacarpal), both on my writing hand and I didn't ask for extra time or anything, just took a few painkillers and removed my splints for the exam. I think people that deserve provisions should most definitely get them, the rest should not.
haha this reminds me of my mate's audition for the con and i was there accompanying him. he was trying to get extra sympathy by explaining his apparent hernia. then the interviewer just went off talking about how his dad had a hernia and three triple bypasses and that apparently his dad thought the hernia was worse.

i also remember for my trials during my modern exam i needed to go to the la vatory so bad (for a no. 2) but the teacher wouldn't let me, 2 hours later i got tothe point where i decided to shit myslef and my writing was so erratic but i asked her one more time, she smiled, then finally let me go. that lady was evil!!!!!

philphie

Banned
HSC
the OP's source is from channel 9, most likely from A Current Affairs, so all this is bullshit anyway if Tracey Grimshaw reported on it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)