HSC Standard Mathematics Predictions / Thoughts (1 Viewer)

DaBossMan

HSC
yayy well done mine was about the same but i was definitely being kind to myself! hahah probably a realistic 85 or so
I don't really know why you are all so angry about the difficulty of the exam. Firstly scaling will sort a certain amount of it out and secondly in past years it has been so easy that so many people were getting band six's and it was stupid mistakes rather than knowledge and skill separating people at the top.

teddy123

HSC
I don't really know why you are all so angry about the difficulty of the exam. Firstly scaling will sort a certain amount of it out and secondly in past years it has been so easy that so many people were getting band six's and it was stupid mistakes rather than knowledge and skill separating people at the top.
I'm personally not angry at the difficulty more so the lack of knowledge going into the exam. The questions were nothing like NESA had supplied or that we have seen in class which led to many students getting stumped on how to handle them. Also the wording on a lot of the questions added extra confusion.

DaBossMan

HSC
I'm personally not angry at the difficulty more so the lack of knowledge going into the exam. The questions were nothing like NESA had supplied or that we have seen in class which led to many students getting stumped on how to handle them. Also the wording on a lot of the questions added extra confusion.
I can see where your coming from but they aren't really obliged to say how difficult the exam is going to be, and a maths exam is meant to test a persons problem solving ability not just knowledge. And if you got 90 it is more than likely the difficulty of the exam was to your advantage.

teddy123

HSC
I can see where your coming from but they aren't really obliged to say how difficult the exam is going to be, and a maths exam is meant to test a persons problem solving ability not just knowledge. And if you got 90 it is more than likely the difficulty of the exam was to your advantage.
Your probably right about it being to my advantage and I agree that it should test problem solving ability, I personalty liked the decagon and cricket questions. However I also believe NESA should also have provided more appropriate sample material and had better communication to teachers over the scope of possible questions.

DaBossMan

HSC
Your probably right about it being to my advantage and I agree that it should test problem solving ability, I personalty liked the decagon and cricket questions. However I also believe NESA should also have provided more appropriate sample material and had better communication to teachers over the scope of possible questions.
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I think its a good idea throwing a few curve balls, like I mentioned it is a better test of problem solving skills and how people react to seeing something they haven't seen before. It may not be how the HSC exams usually work but it happens in life and I think exams like that better reflect a persons ability, not only to study hard and get a good mark but actual skills that will carry over into real jobs.

DaBossMan

HSC
okay yes agree with curveballs being a feature of life and something we should learn how to cope with BUT at the same time you said it yourself hahah it's not how the HSC works and I personally don't see it as fair to mess with the students like that after something they've prepared for for so long and are trying to do well in. What you said about it being a good idea throwing in questions students haven't seen before I completely disagree with though, because while maths is definitely about problem solving, I don't think its in anyway fair to throw in questions that the students haven't been prepared for and are way out of the students' capability - those students are in that class for a reason, and so should be tested accordingly. idk though just an opinion :)
Well if everyone knows exactly what to expect its not as good a test of problem solving IMO.

DaBossMan

HSC
ofc they aren't gonna tell us exactly what's in the exam- then there'd be no point in sitting it at all but I just think they should have tested us on what we've been taught
All the questions were on things that can be tested...
I didn't come across anything I hadn't been taught, the only thing I wasn't sure how to do was the last one and that can probably be put down to studying the day before.

HSC
I was telling my friend a 'draft' for a meme I thought of and it went like:

Yr 12 Students: Nesa will def make the exam easier for us, cos like oof we went thru all that.

Nesa: "Teehee" ☺

sarah10123

HSC
All the questions were on things that can be tested...
I didn't come across anything I hadn't been taught, the only thing I wasn't sure how to do was the last one and that can probably be put down to studying the day before.
oh idk about that haha lot's of teachers (mine included) seem to think otherwise
and that's great for you, I really struggled with the cricket one

DaBossMan

HSC
oh idk about that haha lot's of teachers (mine included) seem to think otherwise
and that's great for you, I really struggled with the cricket one
I'm not bragging I'm just trying to make the point it wasn't beyond what we were taught, it just required a lot of problem solving. Yeh it took me a while to get that, actually pretty simple but it was rather confusing how it was worded.

sarah10123

HSC
I'm not bragging I'm just trying to make the point it wasn't beyond what we were taught, it just required a lot of problem solving. Yeh it took me a while to get that, actually pretty simple but it was rather confusing how it was worded.
alr then we'll agree to disagree on that one

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
itute solutions for standard 1: https://www.itute.com/wp-content/uploads/2020-NSW-ESA-Mathematics-Standard-1-Solutions-1.pdf

As far as I know these are the only solutions on the net so far for standard 1.

If I am right, then today is the first day we now have complete online solutions to all the 2020 maths HSC exams.
Actually I was wrong. Here is another published before this one: https://www.apexmath.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2020-hsc-mathematics-standard-1-solutions.pdf

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)