HSC Subjects for University Course (1 Viewer)

perilakon

HSC
I know that with a lot of Uni courses, there are prereqs for them. I'm aiming to get into Arts/Law, with the Arts in Classical languages. I've chosen my subjects for Year 11 already, but I'm not sure what I want to keep, because I have 14 units and I want to drop at least 1 subject. I've chosen Adv. Maths, Adv. English, Latin, Chemistry, Physics and Modern History. If I dropped Chemistry (which I want to, because I don't like it all that much), would that impact my chances in any way? I don't see how Chemistry is related to Law, but people tell me it's important to do Chemistry.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
perilakon said:
I know that with a lot of Uni courses, there are prereqs for them. I'm aiming to get into Arts/Law, with the Arts in Classical languages. I've chosen my subjects for Year 11 already, but I'm not sure what I want to keep, because I have 14 units and I want to drop at least 1 subject. I've chosen Adv. Maths, Adv. English, Latin, Chemistry, Physics and Modern History. If I dropped Chemistry (which I want to, because I don't like it all that much), would that impact my chances in any way? I don't see how Chemistry is related to Law, but people tell me it's important to do Chemistry.

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
That is not true.

Most Uni courses have 'recommended studies' which would be courses which would relate and be beneficial for your studies in University. However you don't have to sit them during your Prelim + HSC year. So with the HSC just choose the subjects which you'll enjoy. Obviously with a Law/Art degree there are some subjects you SHOULD do - such as English (Adv).

As with Chemistry - that has nothing to do with law, and will not affect you in getting into law in any way. Chemistry is probably only important if you wanna do science related subjects. So drop chem - because when i started the prelim I had 14 units - however I ended up dropping to 12.

perilakon

HSC
the-derivative said:
That is not true.

Most Uni courses have 'recommended studies' which would be courses which would relate and be beneficial for your studies in University. However you don't have to sit them during your Prelim + HSC year. So with the HSC just choose the subjects which you'll enjoy. Obviously with a Law/Art degree there are some subjects you SHOULD do - such as English (Adv).

As with Chemistry - that has nothing to do with law, and will not affect you in getting into law in any way. Chemistry is probably only important if you wanna do science related subjects. So drop chem - because when i started the prelim I had 14 units - however I ended up dropping to 12.
Hey, thanks a load for that!

So, you're saying that to do Law, I don't actually have to have any other subjects as a prereq, other than English, to benefit my chances? Taking a gaze, I'd then assume Modern History would be useful as in time past, there are debateable trials and cases in history that have set examples for the present, would that be right?
So would you then advise me to drop Chemistry as a Prelim course, or as when I get to the HSC? I'm worried a lot about my workload and how beneficial the units system will be in terms of time management for success. I really want to drop Chemistry, so I'm debating whether now or later is better, because later, I will need to still battle with the workload in the short run before I do drop it.

Thanks again!

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
nope, for law theres no assumed knowledge of any sort (i dont think)
obviously legal studies MAY help, but it wudn't be of a great benefit, (u'd probably learn the basic stuff in the first few weeks anyway)

chemistry definitely wudn't affect u if u wanted to do law...and even if there was assumed knowledge there would be bridging courses or similar so dont worry.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
perilakon said:
Hey, thanks a load for that!

So, you're saying that to do Law, I don't actually have to have any other subjects as a prereq, other than English, to benefit my chances? Taking a gaze, I'd then assume Modern History would be useful as in time past, there are debateable trials and cases in history that have set examples for the present, would that be right?
So would you then advise me to drop Chemistry as a Prelim course, or as when I get to the HSC? I'm worried a lot about my workload and how beneficial the units system will be in terms of time management for success. I really want to drop Chemistry, so I'm debating whether now or later is better, because later, I will need to still battle with the workload in the short run before I do drop it.

Thanks again!
Yeah - I would advise you to drop Chemistry now. Because there's no point in taking up an extra 2 Units in year 11 - if you're not intending on keeping them in Year 12 anyway. As i said - I had 14 units, and it was pretty heavy. So you're better off just keeping 12 units.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
perilakon said:
If I dropped Chemistry (which I want to, because I don't like it all that much), would that impact my chances in any way? I don't see how Chemistry is related to Law, but people tell me it's important to do Chemistry.
People tell you it's important to do chemistry probably because it's a central and important subject to do if you want to do the sciences, like dentistry, physio, med, veterinary science etc. So if you dropped chem, it would probably cut you out of many of those career options in terms of prerequisites into these university courses.

But if you're absolutely sure you're not interested in these careers, or that you won't change your mind later, then by all means drop chem and do something you're more interested in.

perilakon

HSC
Hey, thanks all for your replies!

People tell you it's important to do chemistry probably because it's a central and important subject to do if you want to do the sciences, like dentistry, physio, med, veterinary science etc. So if you dropped chem, it would probably cut you out of many of those career options in terms of prerequisites into these university courses.
RogueAcademic - I have got interests concerning the sciences subjects, but I honestly don't think I am forged for a career in the sciences. After Law as a preference, I have interests economics and political science or international law and relations, although I don't see how chemistry would affect that too. Although, these subjects would be similar, no? Perhaps striving for diplomacy, you'd need a second language, where I speak Thai, so that could compensate?

nope, for law theres no assumed knowledge of any sort (i dont think)
obviously legal studies MAY help, but it wudn't be of a great benefit, (u'd probably learn the basic stuff in the first few weeks anyway)

chemistry definitely wudn't affect u if u wanted to do law...and even if there was assumed knowledge there would be bridging courses or similar so dont worry.
Timothy.Siu - thanks a load too =D However, unfortunately, my school doesn't actually offer Legal Studies, and applying to TAFE courses is a hassle and I thought it wouldn't be too beneficial considering that what you would cover in the next two years would probably be crammed into being six weeks, two months maybe at Uni. So going for Legal Studies may not really impact it, if, of course, there are bridging courses?

Yeah - I would advise you to drop Chemistry now. Because there's no point in taking up an extra 2 Units in year 11 - if you're not intending on keeping them in Year 12 anyway. As i said - I had 14 units, and it was pretty heavy. So you're better off just keeping 12 units.
The-derivative - I think it may well be the result that I drop Chemistry, as it is heavy, and as you say, 14U is a bit full on. THere is no real point to me keeping it as I will not need it in the long run then. People say that you should just keep it til Year 12, then drop it then, but I see no real point in doing that if you're just going to put money and time into it, then drop it. Thank you too!

Thanks a lot all, you're all really helping me out a load here! I'm currently away on exchange, where I missed out the last weeks of school where we were all informed of our subjects choices, so thank you!

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Very few degrees actually have HSC prerequisites.
Many have recommended/assumed knowledge, mainly degrees involving maths and science. This knowledge can be easily gained through a bridging course.

Chemistry will be of little value to an Arts/Law degree, so i'd advise that would be what you drop. However, besides degrees with assumed knowledge, you'll be at no disadvantage if you haven't done an HSC subject in the area. The uni will start on the assumption of no prior knowledge.

Legal Studies will be of zero benefit for a law degree. You'll be at absolutely no disadvantage. What is of benefit for law is English. English Adv should bring your english skills up to an acceptable level.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
RogueAcademic said:

But if you're absolutely sure you're not interested in these careers, or that you won't change your mind later, then by all means drop chem and do something you're more interested in.
Not true. It would be beneficial to do Chemistry as it gives you ground knowledge but in most cases it's just recommended studies and not a pre-requisite - therefore you can just sit a bridging course, however if you are planning to do a science related degree in university - chances are you'd enjoy and be good at chemistry - therefore it would be beneficial for you to choose it.

Also @ perilakon - you're welcome :)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
Not true. It would be beneficial to do Chemistry as it gives you ground knowledge but in most cases it's just recommended studies and not a pre-requisite - therefore you can just sit a bridging course, however if you are planning to do a science related degree in university - chances are you'd enjoy and be good at chemistry - therefore it would be beneficial for you to choose it.
I'm getting ahead of myself, you're right. I was thinking more of specific courses like these:

Course description

perilakon

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
I went to a lecture regarding Law entry at University once, and the guy said: 'Do whatever you need to get the UAI'. In most cases, this means 'do whatever you're good at and get the UAI, then do a bridge in course at Uni'. I suggest for that reason that you keep Chemistry because it scales high (if you perform well) unlike other subjects such as Modern History. In saying that, in no way am I telling you to drop Modern History, but it's a just a suggestion that you should keep Chemistry - for now at least. I don't know how good you are in all of your subjects, but if you are finding that you cannot manage then drop it. But for now, I'd keep it.
Thanks for that! However, looking at my marks from the passing years, I am quite the bit better at any other subject than I am at Chemistry. I don't qite understand this whole scaling thing, because there is a rumour that if you do Latin and get 60% in it, you'll still do well due to scaling as not many people do it, and of the people who do it, they do very well, however, I've also heard that is untrue, so what is the truth about this? I'm doing Latin because I do well at it and I like it, so with Chemistry, what sort of scaling is it? I hear a lot of people do Chemistry, so like say, Visual Arts, wouldn't that bring down the scaling to make it low?

georgefren

HSC
Do stuff that your good at. Then choose the ones that you like. Then the ones that scale well.

In that order.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
That is some very good advice. With my subjects I chose them according to: scaling, liking, then good at. Teehee~
Yeah - choosing subjects based on scaling, isn't the best thing to do in my opinion, because if you don't like the subject - you'll probably do bad in it anyway and therefore will be scaled down for doing poorly.

I chose my subjects based on interests - that's why I have a balance of high and low scaling subjects.

perilakon

HSC
georgefren said:
Do stuff that your good at. Then choose the ones that you like. Then the ones that scale well.

In that order.
THat is actually a pretty good idea, georgefren. I guess, if you do well at something, then you'll do well at it, then you'll be at the top, so if you're at the top, you'll get a good mark.

I guess the only subject I've chosen outside of my interests in Chemistry and MAthematics, however, Mathematics is sort of required and doing Ext 2 Maths would be a good scaling subject, thus, so. I'm aiming only to do a 13 Unit max. course for Year 12, so I'm only doing the others to fill up my units as we cannot do less than 12 unit at my school. My friend at Sydney Grammar just finished his HSC and he did 13 and it seems like just the right amount to me, and adding up my units for Yr 12, it seems to be right.

I'm not too familiar myself about the scaling system, but I do know because Chemistry attracts high calibre students it scales better than a subject like VA which is believed to attract 'low' calibre students. I think from memory the scaling for Chemistry was around the 32/50 mark - which is the highest for an science. But in saying that, scaling changes from year to year depending on the chort. However, I do not believe you should continue doing Chem if you find that you cannot do it - or if you're doing better in it than Latin. Latin is after all a language and can therefore be demanding, but if you do Latin you get the opportunity to do Latin Extension which has a scaling (from previous years) very close to Mathemathics Extension 2.
Also, what does that mean, when you say '32/50'? Do all subjects have a similar rating with higher ones with higher numbers?

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
perilakon said:
THat is actually a pretty good idea, georgefren. I guess, if you do well at something, then you'll do well at it, then you'll be at the top, so if you're at the top, you'll get a good mark.

I guess the only subject I've chosen outside of my interests in Chemistry and MAthematics, however, Mathematics is sort of required and doing Ext 2 Maths would be a good scaling subject, thus, so. I'm aiming only to do a 13 Unit max. course for Year 12, so I'm only doing the others to fill up my units as we cannot do less than 12 unit at my school. My friend at Sydney Grammar just finished his HSC and he did 13 and it seems like just the right amount to me, and adding up my units for Yr 12, it seems to be right.

Also, what does that mean, when you say '32/50'? Do all subjects have a similar rating with higher ones with higher numbers?

THANKS AGAIN ALL!!!!
That's the average scaled mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)