• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Human Beings Were Nearly Extinct 70,000 Years Ago (1 Viewer)

Gay Captain

HSC
Zrap said:
I have a bacteria in my stomach, i am superior :D
You don't have one

You have about 500 species

And there's about 10 times as many of them as there are of your own cells :D

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
wuddie said:
this gives raise to another thought - what if there was another specie of intelligent being on earth, one which is of higher order, lived at the same time as our ancestors. but maybe they've extinct for whatever reason. human have always seen themselves as the head honcho of the animal kingdom, but what if that wasn't the case x years ago?

it is fasincating. anyone wants to contribute to this thought?
H. neanderthalis.

Shoubadoo

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Zomg, we're all related. :D
Wow, and there we were all laughing at that daughter and father incest story, when really, we're ALL related. Whooopeee.
I blame it partialy on the polygamist sects.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Oh and the fact that we all evolved from the same single cell organism on the bottom of the ocean? And thus as a result, the first set of humans (lol adam and eve if you believe in that stuff) are the "parents" of all humanity.

I don't believe that we first came from the bottom of the ocean, I believe we came from planted apple seeds.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
Wow, and there we were all laughing at that daughter and father incest story, when really, we're ALL related. Whooopeee.
I blame it partialy on the polygamist sects.

That's not funny anymore. What about the story today that was on the news that a father kept his daughter locked up for 24 years and had 7 kids with her own father!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
wtf? that can't be right. I refuse to believe that I am part black

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
wuddie said:
this gives raise to another thought - what if there was another specie of intelligent being on earth, one which is of higher order, lived at the same time as our ancestors. but maybe they've extinct for whatever reason. human have always seen themselves as the head honcho of the animal kingdom, but what if that wasn't the case x years ago?

it is fasincating. anyone wants to contribute to this thought?
Neanderthals lived until 25,000 years ago and were as smart as humans. They had tool use and social groups but we're not sure yet if they had structured language. Their brain size was 10 to 20% bigger. They couldn't run well, and it is assumed they killed prey by leaping on it, as evident by the many healed fractures in in the skeletons found (including on the skull).

The reason human survived as the dominant species isn't due to intelligence, just luck and potentially outbreeding.

There was a large degree of interbreeding between homo species after they diverged though. Even in the case of chimps and Homo, they were interbreeding for something like 5 million years after they started split as species (which accounts for something about the X chromsome being genetically more similar to chimps than any other chromosome apparently, since males don't pass on their X chromosome). Interbeeding between chimps and Homo likely stopped for a few reasons: a) genetic similarity became to small... e.g. it would have been hard or impossible after our two chromosome 2's merged, b) social differences... maybe humans found apes unattractive, or apes found humans to have an unpleasant odour, due to hair loss, other genetics, etc.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
wuddie said:
i put it down to luck, pure luck. surely human didn't know what was going on back then, so how can they do anything to prevent from extinction?
Slidey said:
Neanderthals lived until 25,000 years ago and were as smart as humans. They had tool use and social groups but we're not sure yet if they had structured language. Their brain size was 10 to 20% bigger. They couldn't run well, and it is assumed they killed prey by leaping on it, as evident by the many healed fractures in in the skeletons found (including on the skull).

The reason human survived as the dominant species isn't due to intelligence, just luck and potentially outbreeding.

There was a large degree of interbreeding between homo species after they diverged though. Even in the case of chimps and Homo, they were interbreeding for something like 5 million years after they started split as species (which accounts for something about the X chromsome being genetically more similar to chimps than any other chromosome apparently, since males don't pass on their X chromosome). Interbeeding between chimps and Homo likely stopped for a few reasons: a) genetic similarity became to small... e.g. it would have been hard or impossible after our two chromosome 2's merged, b) social differences... maybe humans found apes unattractive, or apes found humans to have an unpleasant odour, due to hair loss, other genetics, etc.
so i was right? i don't know, i only guessed a scenario. so we ARE the products of luck.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Er, yeah, sure! I wasn't disagreeing, just posting about biology because it is fun.

Exphate: aw thanks. Wish I could figure out a way to put my brain to use (say, make lots of money) instead of reading the methodology & conclusions of the latest articles submitted to Nature and co to keep boredom at bay.

If only I could find the motivation to learn SQL... then I could take that introductory database job at the nearby CSU campus which is desperately seeking basic SQL programmers to maintain help CSU's records :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)