I am confused (1 Viewer)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
erm said:
how about you read the module document before jumping to conclusions?
I have, all that ive mentioned in my previous posts has revovled around what i have bene taught based on the module rubric

*Baby-K*

HSC
Guys you can still talk about how the interpretation of the text changes with context just don't name your productions, or mention the word reading - they are interpretations. That's what the module is about so u need to include 3- personal and 2 other ones of your choice. You also need at least 2 themes. If the question asks about specific extract, emphasise one u use in your interpretation for quotes and stuff or if it's about relationship between characters- same thing.

Good luck

tau281290

HSC
So can we name the Live production of KL we were forced to watch in our essay?

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
For one thing, the ones who are confused are thinking critically ;)

Because they are not blindly believing whatever they see and hear from one source

erm

HSC
Ok i think it's safe to say that you need to focus on the original text, form your own opinion, then compare that to other perspectives which "should enhance rather than overshadow a student’s personal engagement with and close analysis of the prescribed text."

Also note that:
"The syllabus does not require students to engage with particular critical theories in
order to generate possible ‘readings’ of the text. Exposure to specific critical theories,
such as feminist theory, postcolonial theory or New Historicism, is not a requirement of the English Stage 6 Syllabus in any of the compulsory English courses and
modules. A focus on ‘readings’ of a text without a student’s personal engagement
with and understanding of the text does not constitute a critical study of text, as required by this module
."

In the past there's been too much focus on productions/readings and hence the student's response hasn't come through properly. That's prob why they released that document.

*Baby-K*

HSC
tau281290 said:
So can we name the Live production of KL we were forced to watch in our essay?
I asked my tutor about it because I totally freaked out too and she told me not to mention the word production or any names or authors of the production - it's an interpretation of King Lear and interpretations shift with context

erm

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
I asked my tutor about it because I totally freaked out too and she told me not to mention the word production or any names or authors of the production - it's an interpretation of King Lear and interpretations shift with context
I know that interpretations shift with context, but how do you get away with mentioning an interpretation without naming it?

do you say something like: "Recently Lear has been interpreted in this way...blah blah" "another interesting adaption changed this part blah blah etc"

is this right?

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
I think she might mean not to mention in the introduction?

tau281290

HSC
Now I go back to the band 5/6 KL essays in 2001, they are full of productions and critical readings. It is so obvious that these responses were highly pre-prepared.

It is much harder now :<

*Baby-K*

HSC
erm said:
I know that interpretations shift with context, but how do you get away with mentioning an interpretation without naming it?

do you say something like: "Recently Lear has been interpreted in this way...blah blah" "another interesting adaption changed this part blah blah etc"

is this right?
In my essay I would start off with something like:
Personal interpretation- as a female living in the 21st century, the world which I am living in is highly concerned with materialistic needs, protection of the society...etc The interpretation of KL in the context of 21st century, therefore, shifts the focus to how the social conditions are reflected in character's relationships, language and behaviour.
Marxist- A Marxist interpretation on the other hand diverges from such a personal reading due to the differing context of the audience which becomes more deeply aware of the formal class distinction etc
Feminist- a feminist critique concerns itself with the relationship between men and women etc

tau281290

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
I don't want to include it anyways. THe live production did not enhance my personal response whatsoever. It was just a piece of :spam:

erm

HSC
tau281290 said:
Now I go back to the band 5/6 KL essays in 2001, they are full of productions and critical readings. It is so obvious that these responses were highly pre-prepared.

It is much harder now :<
do note that that support document was published 4 September 2007, hence the information in there did not apply to them.

tau281290

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Personal interpretation- as a female living in the 21st century, the world which I am living in is highly concerned with materialistic needs, protection of the society...etc The interpretation of KL in the context of 21st century, therefore, shifts the focus to how the social conditions are reflected in character's relationships, language and behaviour.
Marxist- A Marxist interpretation on the other hand diverges from such a personal reading due to the differing context of the audience which becomes more deeply aware of the formal class distinction etc
Feminist- a feminist critique concerns itself with the relationship between men and women etc
The syllabus document also says:

Exposure to specific critical theories,
[FONT=AJDOFJ+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDOFJ+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]such as feminist theory, postcolonial theory or New Historicism, is not a requirement of the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=AJDOME+TimesNewRoman,Italic,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDOME+TimesNewRoman,Italic,Times New Roman]English Stage 6 Syllabus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=AJDOFJ+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=AJDOFJ+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]in any of the compulsory English courses and [/FONT][/FONT]modules.

So, i suppose we can cut all that fem.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
So you don't need a personal engagement with the readings anymore? The past student responses (from 2003? or 2004?) full on did.

erm

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
edit: dw

tau281290

HSC
erm said:
do note that that support document was published 4 September 2007, hence the information in there did not apply to them.
Yea, so it was much easier for them to just regurgitate everything about contexts and productions. Argghh, now we need to have a really high critical understanding of the prescribed text.

I know some of the classes in my school didn't even read the text at all but just watched productions of it. lol

Last edited:

*Baby-K*

HSC
A focus on ‘readings’ of a text without a student’s personal engagement
with and understanding of the text does not constitute a critical study of text, as required by this module
."
So if you look at that- a focus on 'readings' of a text WITHOUT a student's personal engagement etc

Consequently it means- if you do the readings alone, you're not fulfilling the requirements
BUT
If you do 1. Your personal interpretation/understanding, 2. 2 other interpretations in which you can still reflect on your personal interpretation

then you should be fine.
Also don't forget to include at least two themes​

erm

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
A focus on ‘readings’ of a text without a student’s personal engagement
."
So if you look at that- a focus on 'readings' of a text WITHOUT a student's personal engagement etc

Consequently it means- if you do the readings alone, you're not fulfilling the requirements
BUT
If you do 1. Your personal interpretation/understanding, 2. 2 other interpretations in which you can still reflect on your personal interpretation

then you should be fine.
Also don't forget to include at least two themes​
Yes that seems correct.

I mentioned that a few posts back:

erm said:
Ok i think it's safe to say that you need to focus on the original text, form your own opinion, then compare that to other perspectives which "should enhance rather than overshadow a student’s personal engagement with and close analysis of the prescribed text."

*Baby-K*

HSC
erm said:
Yes that seems correct.

I mentioned that a few posts back:
Yah well that's how I understood it lol.
You should always stick with what you already know- in my trials I had a pre-prepared essay and it didn't fit the question which focused on characters so I wrote a new one- which was not a good idea.

So yah guys don't throw those readings out just yet- if they support your personal interpretation- use them

erm

HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Just another thing with your "personal interpretation"........are you allowed to use first person?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)