I am confused (1 Viewer)

gotrice?

HSC
Guys, who cares what' my teechaaa at my skewwll' said..

They ALL have DIFFERING opinions about Lear and all other critical study of texts.
The most important thing for you to do is make up your OWN mind what the texts are about, and choose other readings if you WANT to either agree OR disagree with what your saying.
Its both ok to disagree and agree with other peoples responses, but dont for one minute do what your teacher tells you, they all have different opinions as we have learnt.

jenecis

HSC
A personal voice just has to give a sense that this is what you really think and believe in. Obviously if you start spinning stuff on feminism and Marxism and using critical language that doesn't sound like your own, the markers won't believe that you thought about that yourself (unless you really are a feminist and Maxist, which, for a seventeen/eighteen year old, is hard to believe).

Just come up with some stuff of your own and don't copy slabs off other people.

jenecis

HSC
Also I think that the people who are still going on about other interpretations are in self-denial.

The program's changed. My teacher marked Module B for last year's King Lear and she keeps on stressing that you don't need any other perspectives APART from your own.

People who say different haven't been keeping up to date. Or refuse to change coz it's harder this way.

tau281290

HSC
How do you should the marker that your ideas and of your own? What language technique would show them that?

I heard that descriptive language would do it as the deputy principal told us that in school. Anything else?

Ivich

HSC
Anyone doing Citizen Kane?
If so, how are you structuring your response?

Ivich

HSC
inter108 said:
Powerplay is gay!

>.> Hardest module by far.
YES! completely agree on that. unlike the other modules, this one is so random and u never know which question they will throw at you when it comes to power, because to me, its so broad.

HSC
you need to just focus on ONE reading - your own. if you've learnt other readings, you can say stuff about how they've shaped your reading, but DONT spend the whole essay saying "a feminist reading would view it as meaning this..."
depends on the question, but you shouldnt really need to write about more than one.
the way you present your points shows your reading, you dont need to say - "as a feminist i believe this"

danz90

HSC
I'm now officially screwed for this module - most of the teaching program of this module concentrated on two productions of King Lear by other directors. We did obviously read the shakespeare text and analysed it. But this thing about "personal reading" wasn't highly emphasised.

If anyone is willing to help me out... post in this thread or PM me.. so we can discuss over msn.

This is so unfair.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
danz90 said:
I'm now officially screwed for this module - most of the teaching program of this module concentrated on two productions of King Lear by other directors. We did obviously read the shakespeare text and analysed it. But this thing about "personal reading" wasn't highly emphasised.

If anyone is willing to help me out... post in this thread or PM me.. so we can discuss over msn.

This is so unfair.
i totally agree, it was said but not emphasised enough. Our school concentrated on only 2 readings. Me and my class are all stuffed up. Our teacher stuffed us up.

How was i suppose to know they wanted our own personal interpretation, whilst the readings are only optional thing to include. I'm relieved I know this before I did exams, but very stressed :(

Last edited:

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Shadose said:
i totally agree, it was said but not emphasised enough. Our school concentrated on only 2 readings. Me and my class are all stuffed up. Our teacher stuffed us up.
Funnily enough my teacher mentioned NOTHING about the readings because it was his first time of teaching Gwen Harwood. An advantage I guess.

tau281290

HSC
Shadose said:

How was i suppose to know they wanted our own personal interpretation, whilst the readings are only optional thing to include. I'm relieved I know this before I did exams, but very stressed :(
I am in the same boat, but I don't feel any stress. Is there something wrong with me lol?

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
So how are you going to go about it? Neglect the other's interpretations and say they were yours all along ?:p

danz90

HSC
Shadose said:
So how are you going to go about it? Neglect the other's interpretations and say they were yours all along ?:p
I'm definitely calling up hsc advice line for the 234824546th time to clarify all this crap. i guess ill take out the focus of the readings from my topic sentences and closing sentences... make sure my analysis of the king lear quotes then goes on to say what it revealed to ME. Then will refer to the readings to say how they supported and enhanced my personal representation.

But that will really screw me up, coz like i assigned 2 body paragraphs anyway JUST on describing the social contexts of each reading, and how they influenced each reading. Now I guess I'll just replace them with one whole paragraph on Shakespeare's social context and how it shaped his text... and then another talking about how Eyre and Brook's readings had enhanced my personal engagement with the play.

This has obviously screwed me... I think my teacher hasn't realised they've taken emphasis off the readings of KL. She still insists it is these modern READINGS such as the family psychological reading of Eyre and Theatre of Absurd reading of Brook that allows for King lear to endure the ages etc.

I dunnnnnnoooooo what im going to do..

meh if i end up confused and not knowing how to adapt this NEW, to me, approach.. then ill just write my response the way ive been doing it this whole year for assessments, and how i've been directed to. (and scoring good in them.. even though they wud give me a 12/20 at max in hsc - now i realise lol)

This is the bluddy structure of KL responses we've been taught to adapt to each question:

Intro - introduce the readings you have studied and how they enhance different aspects of king lear. etc etc

body paragraph 1 - introduce social context of FIRST READING. eg. definition of family psychological context... etc also establish some themes.

body paragraph 2 - basically have ur topic sentence etc, and then choose a quote from the text, analyse shakespeare's language... talk about what it reveals. then talk about how the director reinforced their reading, in their production, and how this enhanced your perceptions. plus obviously, textual integrity and audience response

body paragraph 3 - define the social context of the SECOND reading yous tudied.

body paragrah 4 - basically follows body paragraph 2, but for another reading.

body paragaphs 5 and 6 follow the structures of 2 and 4.

conclusion

gosh, this would get me like a 10-12/20 max right? since im focusing mainly on the readings of others. but what if i tweaked my stupid structure, talked about MY interpretation, and then said that eyre and brook simply ENHANCED my interperation... that would boost my mark up right?

ahh F*$^ this shit!

Kalashnikov47

HSC
LOL~~~I also rang up the advise line the other day~~~The guy picked up the phone reassured me the Yeats question wont be bizzare and weird as it usually gets because they dont want people to write to the newspaper complaining about the queerness of the paper.

hopefully they will cross out Yeats in the new syllabus~~~

porki1

HSC
try doing speechess!!
when u dnt know which of the 12 they will throw at you
its bs

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
danz90 said:
I'm definitely calling up hsc advice line for the 234824546th time to clarify all this crap. i guess ill take out the focus of the readings from my topic sentences and closing sentences... make sure my analysis of the king lear quotes then goes on to say what it revealed to ME. Then will refer to the readings to say how they supported and enhanced my personal representation.

But that will really screw me up, coz like i assigned 2 body paragraphs anyway JUST on describing the social contexts of each reading, and how they influenced each reading. Now I guess I'll just replace them with one whole paragraph on Shakespeare's social context and how it shaped his text... and then another talking about how Eyre and Brook's readings had enhanced my personal engagement with the play.

This has obviously screwed me... I think my teacher hasn't realised they've taken emphasis off the readings of KL. She still insists it is these modern READINGS such as the family psychological reading of Eyre and Theatre of Absurd reading of Brook that allows for King lear to endure the ages etc.

I dunnnnnnoooooo what im going to do..

meh if i end up confused and not knowing how to adapt this NEW, to me, approach.. then ill just write my response the way ive been doing it this whole year for assessments, and how i've been directed to. (and scoring good in them.. even though they wud give me a 12/20 at max in hsc - now i realise lol)

This is the bluddy structure of KL responses we've been taught to adapt to each question:

Intro - introduce the readings you have studied and how they enhance different aspects of king lear. etc etc

body paragraph 1 - introduce social context of FIRST READING. eg. definition of family psychological context... etc also establish some themes.

body paragraph 2 - basically have ur topic sentence etc, and then choose a quote from the text, analyse shakespeare's language... talk about what it reveals. then talk about how the director reinforced their reading, in their production, and how this enhanced your perceptions. plus obviously, textual integrity and audience response

body paragraph 3 - define the social context of the SECOND reading yous tudied.

body paragrah 4 - basically follows body paragraph 2, but for another reading.

body paragaphs 5 and 6 follow the structures of 2 and 4.

conclusion

gosh, this would get me like a 10-12/20 max right? since im focusing mainly on the readings of others. but what if i tweaked my stupid structure, talked about MY interpretation, and then said that eyre and brook simply ENHANCED my interperation... that would boost my mark up right?

ahh F*$^ this shit!
No shit thats the exact similar structure for wuthering heights
Definition of Marxist
Imagery: Wuthering heights vs Thrushcross Grange
Character: Heathcliff
Nelly
Your ideas of the interpretations.

Then Definition of Feminist ... so on

===---
Hey for the people who did it, can you guys share a basic structure that we could work on?

danz90

HSC
Shadose said:
No shit thats the exact similar structure for wuthering heights
Definition of Marxist
Imagery: Wuthering heights vs Thrushcross Grange
Character: Heathcliff
Nelly
Your ideas of the interpretations.

Then Definition of Feminist ... so on

===---
Hey for the people who did it, can you guys share a basic structure that we could work on?
lol what do u suggest we do now?

*Baby-K*

HSC
Module B: Critical Study of Texts
[FONT=CHLLI P+ Helvetica,Helvetica]This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.
Each elective in this module requires close study of a single text to be chosen from a list of prescribed texts.
Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.
Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

Where does it actually say- no readings?
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)