I got 97 for my economics exam, the next highest mark was 78. Will I get scaled down? (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
The average was 67%....
thanks in advance
im really worried!

lucifersguard

HSC
Re: I got 97 for my economics exam, the next highest mark was 78. Will I get scaled d

If your first, no.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: I got 97 for my economics exam, the next highest mark was 78. Will I get scaled d

If you maintain a rank of 1st, you won't.

NINJA-EDIT: beaten by 2 seconds lol D:

enoilgam

HSC

Stay on top internally and externall and your cohort will have zero effect on you.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A

even if we get like say 50% and we are first, we wnt get scaled down right?

deswa1

HSC

No. Having said this, if you consistently score 50's, I wouldn't be expecting a very high mark unless your school is EXTREMELY ruthless in marking.

enoilgam

HSC

even if we get like say 50% and we are first, we wnt get scaled down right?
If you do well on the external then probably not.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A

ahaha I don't think anyone get 50 and come first :p lol
But does your marks matter or just the ranking?
No. Having said this, if you consistently score 50's, I wouldn't be expecting a very high mark unless your school is EXTREMELY ruthless in marking.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A

so ur marks doesn't matter, all we need is the rank (1st) right??
So say this guy got 94% and I beat him by 2%....I have the rank 1 and he will not affect me?
no, its all about ranks for internals.

will_

HSC
Uni Grad

so ur marks doesn't matter, all we need is the rank (1st) right??
So say this guy got 94% and I beat him by 2%....I have the rank 1 and he will not affect me?
yes that is correct. but it in your case, you have a good buffer ahead of the next exam.

ncoul

HSC

Ok, sorry to bring out 'cohort inhibiting marks' discussion, but if there is a group of 3 at the top, say with mark 97 94 92, and i'm the 92, then the next mark is 78, how much will i be affected?

D94

HSC
N/A

Ok, sorry to bring out 'cohort inhibiting marks' discussion, but if there is a group of 3 at the top, say with mark 97 94 92, and i'm the 92, then the next mark is 78, how much will i be affected?
It will depend on the range of HSC exam marks; it's very hard to tell at the moment, but I highly doubt you'd be affected much if you perform as well as the top 2. And these are raw marks so until you sit the HSC, there's no telling how difficult your assessments were, or if they even reflect HSC type questions. There is every chance that those ranked below you will out-perform you in the HSC.

Anonym0us

HSC

Stay on top internally and externall and your cohort will have zero effect on you.
I'm coming 2nd at the moment... and my cohort is doing pretty bad
Will this affect my external mark ?

enoilgam

HSC

I'm coming 2nd at the moment... and my cohort is doing pretty bad
Will this affect my external mark ?
Not if you and number one are outliers on the external exams.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Outliers are people who perform 'outside' the schools assessment marks.

So a school that has three in the 90s and then the next highest in the 60s doesn't have any 'outliers' if those three all end up still with a 30 mark buffer.

But if the school sent everyone in in the 60s and then someone ends up in the 90s, while everyone else is in the 60s - they are an 'outlier' as they are outside the range that the school expected.

It also works in reverse - where the school sends in a student with a big gap - up or down - and that student comes in much closer to the pack they are treated as an outlier as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)