I have my Journal-to-be. Now what? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I got myself a Visual Arts Diary because that's what my teacher recommended to use as the journal (I think). So I have it, and my little notepad for ensuring that epiphanies on the train or realisations of great ideas in the middle of the night can be recorded as well.

I went to the EX2 conference thing at Darling Harbour on Monday I think it was decent, unfortunately the guy skipped through tons of slides.

So what exactly do I put in my Journal? I'm thinking paste individual sheets from my notebook to show my ideas and comment on them - and to write in it every week or so about what books I'm reading, or what books I plan to read, or muse on how the story is going or show evidence of research complete with URLs or maybe even print-outs.

Is that basically it? And how often should I write in my journal?

jmakowiak

HSC
I share the same problem - right now, i've only had three or four lessons, and am dumbfounded as to what i'm supposed to put in this journal of mine. It would seem we are in the same boat.

I'm thinking maybe just research on the form you've chosen (in my case, short fiction) plus some examples of said form.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It's highly unlikely that the external markers will ever look at your journal anyway...

I literally vomited out anything I had in my mind that was to do with ext 2. At the beginning it was notes from books, photocopies, bits of writing i liked, words, pictures, brainstorms, mind maps, reflections etc. Then as the process continued it turned more into drafting, re-drafting, re-re-drafting and so on.

Honestly, there's no 'proper' way to 'do' a journal. It's like your own Ext 2 diary. Maybe start off with reflecting on why you chose the course, or your preliminary ideas. Also, search this board...I'm certain someone's asked this question before you. Just search 'journal' in the search bar.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)