I like or am doing physics because...? (1 Viewer)

Lexie1001

HSC
i chose phys cos its good for doing an architecture degree. I dont really like it that much but i have a great class + funny teacher which makes it better. some bits are interesting tho...like the theory of relativity.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
although i havent been privy to VCE's physics course, i can prolly tell you from a gut feeling that benny1103 is prolly true. HSC physics is now more about "applied sciences", how it 'impacts society' or other crazy HUMANTITES-like questions. BAH its not what science should be!

but then again, that was the HSC, not uni.
Heh, actually I think for my previous comment you should probably disregard the refernece to highschool. When I did VCE physics, the course was good. I think they're now gradually turning it into HSC physics though.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Benny1103 said:
Heh, actually I think for my previous comment you should probably disregard the refernece to highschool. When I did VCE physics, the course was good. I think they're now gradually turning it into HSC physics though.
The new VCE physics course seems to be more inline with HSC physics then the old but still contains a fair bit more calculation.

It is probably closer to a mix of HSC physics and the, rarely done (just see the forum for rarity), course Engineering Studies. Particularly the materials section but also a fair bit on energy.

Uni physics has alot more calculations but also requires understandment of the concept.

Jouma47

HSC
I like physics but i dont, hard to explain what i mean, some topics i like and some other i dont, i chose it mainly becuase of scaling and becuase they didnt have any other subjects in the same line that i liked......

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I like to argue about something (though I do not always win). And by doing physics, I learn what scientists think about stuff (like space), the origin of their thinking and how stuff works. So basically, what I want to say is I want to find out if what scientists say is really true, how a simple ideas can change the world and what modification need to be done so our stuff can be much better in the future.

Honestly, in my opinion, Big Bang and macro-evolution are just a fiction story until it can be proven further. However, we learned about these in high school as those are the most logical (not necessary accurate) theories in their areas.

mckechnieerin

HSC
Physics is hard no doubt around it and students get frustrated easily for these reasons
1. Teachers stand at the board writing down notes for students to copy but how can they copy them when their sleeping because teachers make physics so damn boring
2. Physics is the study of movement but teachers dont understand that there is more to physics then just calulations get ur class up and get moving and show hand on methods
3. Teachers give formulas and set us off to work expecting we know what were doing lmao
4. Teachers assign the easy questions for assignments and put the hard questions on tests

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
I like to argue about something (though I do not always win). And by doing physics, I learn what scientists think about stuff (like space), the origin of their thinking and how stuff works. So basically, what I want to say is I want to find out if what scientists say is really true, how a simple ideas can change the world and what modification need to be done so our stuff can be much better in the future.

Honestly, in my opinion, Big Bang and macro-evolution are just a fiction story until it can be proven further. However, we learned about these in high school as those are the most logical (not necessary accurate) theories in their areas.
lol I remember people seriously doubting the Big Bang theory - and probably still doubting it now - cos of the many questions it doesn't answer. Stuff like dark energy and dark matter really puts people off...they say it's like you have this theory with lotsa holes so then you just keep making stuff up to make this theory work :p Like, 'oh, according to this theory most of the stuff in the unverse cannot be explained, but we'll stick to this theory anyway cos we can't make up another one' :p

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
My physics teacher is mad. Probably why I'm liking Physics now.
Lol! I've noticed most Physics teachers are- let's say a bit "loopy"! The crazier they are, the better the classes are, I have found though!

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Sadly my physics teacher isn't mad, but my chemistry teacher is - moving 12 test tubes with his hands in one go containing like butanoic acid, lead, I don't know, also put this big block of sodium into water to make big explosion, and put methane gas into some balloons and explode them INSIDE the classroom.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
Sadly my physics teacher isn't mad, but my chemistry teacher is - moving 12 test tubes with his hands in one go containing like butanoic acid, lead, I don't know, also put this big block of sodium into water to make big explosion, and put methane gas into some balloons and explode them INSIDE the classroom.
I had a Physics lecturer back in first year explode the lecture theatre's (empty) garbage bin inside the lecture theatre with a nitrogen bomb.

...the room had a nice fresh bin the next lecture.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I've always been interested in why things behave the way they do. I just always ended up being the person who asked "why?" So I chose Physics and Chem. Biology to me just seems to be learning craploads of facts, figures and information. I much rather science that follows principles and uses concepts.

So, I guess I chose it because of interest. Generally, I enjoy it. Sure there's the odd topic or two I really hate, but for the most part, disregarding all the "science in society" crap they make us learn, I like it. I had no idea about scaling and UAI values or anything when I chose my prelim subjects, so none of that really had an influence on my choices.

Last edited:

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
I do physics because I really enjoy learning stuff about all they physics stuff.
Like quanta and all that kind of stuff
That and I want to be a researcher at Uni

But on the drag side I have a really bad teacher, we don't even write notes we just read out of these books written by some guy (Greg Pitt) from the 2003 syllabus and she doesnt even know.
Someone asked what a positron was and I came in a few lessons later finding half the class was convinced that it wasnt even a form of anti matter.
That and she tried to pass that a positron plus an electron is a neutron

God that was bad

So If you can picture that thats my physics classes
I have to revert to doing dotpoints myself out of textbooks myself

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
webby234 said:
My main interest in Physics is Cosmology - I'm especially interested in how the universe began, how we came to be and what else there is out there (and also because I love looking at the stars).
I wish it wasn't a distinction course - I'm not one fo those smart kids who accelerate :p

williams_is

HSC
I'm doing physics because I swapped from biology due to my rediculously bad teacher, now learning some interesting and practical knowledge, but finding the maths hard so I got this tutor called Pat something, who just complains about the syllabus (why dont the english teachers complain about that syllabus?)

Gowr

HSC
Im doing physics, cause in my opinion its easy marks. For some reason I find it very, very easy. Although I absolutely despise the content... not only that society and environment crap but also the weak mathematics, the 'half-truths' (like mass-dilation) and the fact that there is no thought involved (and I'm not even getting started on the teacher, who once pronounced rarefaction 4 different ways in a single lesson) but I can ignore this due to the fact that it takes very little work on my part.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Well, i chose physics because i thought it would be interesting.

Started out as a disaster though. Yr 11, my teacher (he was a good teacher; i wasn't a smart student :p) retired near the end of the year. He was replaces by another guy, who was insanely incompetent. Actually, he was meant to be a biology teacher! Talk about screwing up out HSC!

This year we switched teachers AGAIN! But at least now this one's as good as the first. Actually, they were pretty good pals.

I has chosen chemistry for the same reason, believing it to be interesting, but i dropped it after year 11. At least I have free periods now :D

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
williams_is said:
I'm doing physics because I swapped from biology due to my rediculously bad teacher, now learning some interesting and practical knowledge, but finding the maths hard so I got this tutor called Pat something, who just complains about the syllabus (why dont the english teachers complain about that syllabus?)
My english tutor complains about the engish syllabus ALL THE TIME... well, at least every once-a-week i see him. Want his number? lol...

Laids

HSC
i dunno about everyone saying they chose it for scaling, i dont see the point in doing something u dont like, just because u have heard it scales well and asume u will gte a better uai. I chose physics becuase i actually like it, i always had since the easy physics in yr 7 and always done well in it. I think 3 of the 6 ppl in my class actually chose it cos they liked it, the other just hoping for good scaling.

Our class always has good fun in physics and makes alot of jokes about anything and everything, we are a class of 6 guys with a male teacher, all of which are a lil immature including our teacher, so we always have a good time, and most of us still doing pretty well (i.e 75%+) becuase we enjoy the class so are more willing to do the work.

I think if we all took the class more seriously and didnt have a good luagh about something every lesson, we wouldnt enjoy the class as much, and would most likely not do as well in the subject.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)