I need a job. (1 Viewer)

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
Do not give your TFN out to ANYONE unless you get a job, and only then do you fill it on the form of employment where it asks for your TFN.

On your resume, have your full name, contact number, and your email. That's it.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do I just go up to them in-store and be like: "Hey need a stacker?" or something?

There's a local Coles... I suppose that'd work. And then also a Woolies as well. I heard good things about that job too.
Go up, take your resume, give it in... and if they consider you they'll ask what you prefer (this is at the interview stage).

apollo1

Banned
HSC
I mean, does the employee need it. Because maybe they just disqualify my resume because it's not listed on the resume. Damn it.
well your tax file number is needed when businesses hire you. my careers adviser gave me a tax file number form when i inquired about getting a job.

even if you had passed the interview stage i dont think they would have hired you without a tfn. make sure you get it ASAP

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go up, take your resume, give it in... and if they consider you they'll ask what you prefer (this is at the interview stage).
So let me get this straight... so I'd make a resume, go to the store, talk to the manager (I suppose?) hand the resume in and wait.

HSC
well your tax file number is needed when businesses hire you. my careers adviser gave me a tax file number form when i inquired about getting a job.

even if you had passed the interview stage i dont think they would have hired you without a tfn. make sure you get it ASAP
righto, i am like getting it tomorrow so.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A

You can get a job even if you don't have a TFN. However, if you join while having no TFN, your employer gives you the form to fill it out and asks you to get it quickly. If you don't have a TFN = No pay. They'll hold up on your pay until the next week or month until your TFN is established and you submit to company's HQ.

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
So let me get this straight... so I'd make a resume, go to the store, talk to the manager (I suppose?) hand the resume in and wait.
You seriously have never gone job hunting? Wow lol.

What you do is -

Print shitloads amount of your resume.
Go into a shopping centre/mall.
Walk into every and ANY store (trust me on this) and ask the cashier/attendant if whether they're hiring. Some will say, "uhm, I'm not sure", other's will say "yes or no". Whatever the answer, tell them that you would like them to hold onto your resume and if they could look at it. It doesn't necessarily need to be the manager. Remember to be somewhat humorous/talkative/friendly. First impressions are vital.

And no, you don't stand there and ask them to read your resume lol. You hand it in, and walk out and go to another store.

loaves

HSC
A lot of places (Woolies/Coles included) do most their recruiting online now, so I'd start there. However, they might still be happy to take resumes in person.

And in general - always try and talk to the manager. I was always finding scrunched up resumes under the registers at my work, because checkout chicks rarely remember to pass them on.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
WOW, OP is in uni and never had a job yet : 0 ...It's too late to find something good now. The only jobs left over are all the shit underpaid ones that no one wants. If I were you guys I would reconsider thinking applying for your local fast food restaurant, as it may be the difference of having a job this summer or not. The difference of having that latest item, biggest holiday, or saying to your family that you finally got a job and are not a bludger any more. (Just make sure you don't get one of those underpaying jobs held by unknown companies..they are shit as and are not worth the time).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You seriously have never gone job hunting? Wow lol.

What you do is -

Print shitloads amount of your resume.
Go into a shopping centre/mall.
Walk into every and ANY store (trust me on this) and ask the cashier/attendant if whether they're hiring. Some will say, "uhm, I'm not sure", other's will say "yes or no". Whatever the answer, tell them that you would like them to hold onto your resume and if they could look at it. It doesn't necessarily need to be the manager. Remember to be somewhat humorous/talkative/friendly. First impressions are vital.

And no, you don't stand there and ask them to read your resume lol. You hand it in, and walk out and go to another store.
Any store... except like Bras 'n Things.

A lot of places (Woolies/Coles included) do most their recruiting online now, so I'd start there. However, they might still be happy to take resumes in person.

And in general - always try and talk to the manager. I was always finding scrunched up resumes under the registers at my work, because checkout chicks rarely remember to pass them on.
I'll uhh... take a look.

WOW, OP is in uni and never had a job yet : 0 ...It's too late to find something good now. The only jobs left over are all the shit underpaid ones that no one wants. If I were you guys I would reconsider thinking applying for your local fast food restaurant, as it may be the difference of having a job this summer or not. The difference of having that latest item, biggest holiday, or saying to your family that you finally got a job and are not a bludger any more. (Just make sure you don't get one of those underpaying jobs held by unknown companies..they are shit as and are not worth the time).
Too late? Nah, that's loser talk! =P

I'm sure the academic accolades I had in the past will push me ahead of those wanker 15 or 16 year olds who just want a job because it 'looks cool'. Fags.

That said, a few friends of mine work in a few places... I might ask them.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
In a big chain like woolies etc. it's good to make yourself known to the manager, but i think a lot rides on the quality of your resume since they get so many applicants. In a small, independent retail store it is so so so important to make sure you have a proper chat with either the manager or another member of staff so that they get an idea of your personality and so that you actually get remembered. At my work when people come in asking for jobs it usually goes something like this:

Person: Hi are you hiring at the moment?
Me: Not right now but there's the possibility of a position opening up in a month or so.
Person: Ok, i'll just leave my resume *leaves resume and walks away*
Me *looks at what is usually a rubbish resume before tossing it in the bin and completely forgetting whoever that person was*

Unless it's a stellar resume we don't really consider these people because they don't seem particularly interested in getting the job and we know pretty much zilch about their personality (which is important when only 6 people work at the store)

Last edited:

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm sure the academic accolades I had in the past will push me ahead of those wanker 15 or 16 year olds who just want a job because it 'looks cool'. Fags.
Nope. It's their age that will put them MILES ahead of you for the same job.
Employers want younger workers as they get lower wages. Simple as that. Why bother getting some guy who aced his maths in the past and pay him $20 an hour, when you can hire a 15 year old high school kid and pay him $10 an hour.

M3H

B.a.n.n.e.d
HSC
i'd say mcdonalds would be quite suitable for you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
In a big chain like woolies etc. it's good to make yourself known to the manager, but i think a lot rides on the quality of your resume since they get so many applicants. In a small, independent retail store it is so so so important to make sure you have a proper chat with either the manager or another member of staff so that they get an idea of your personality and so that you actually get remembered. At my work when people come in asking for jobs it usually goes something like this:

Person: Hi are you hiring at the moment?
Me: Not right now but there's the possibility of a position opening up in a month or so.
Person: Ok, i'll just leave my resume *leaves resume and walks away*
Me *looks at what is usually a rubbish resume before tossing it in the bin and completely forgetting whoever that person was*

Unless it's a stellar resume we don't really consider these people because they don't seem particularly interested in getting the job and we know pretty much zilch about their personality (which is important when only 6 people work at the store)
Hmm, might need help making the resume too. I remember taking a class in school about it... but it was in Year 10. So what makes a resume... 'stellar'?

So I have to make a super first impression, basically. And I have to talk to the manager - which I assume can occur if I just ask to talk to them...

Nope. It's their age that will put them MILES ahead of you for the same job.
Employers want younger workers as they get lower wages. Simple as that. Why bother getting some guy who aced his maths in the past and pay him $20 an hour, when you can hire a 15 year old high school kid and pay him $10 an hour.
True... but less seriously, so I can help them with the mathematical problems the have on the job!

But I suppose you're right. Then -may-cat-'s point about having an awesome personality should tweak them.

i'd say mcdonalds would be quite suitable for you.
Because?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Any store... except like Bras 'n Things.

I'll uhh... take a look.

Too late? Nah, that's loser talk! =P

That said, a few friends of mine work in a few places... I might ask them.
Your academics will not prove as of any advantage to an industry that is completely different (retail/hospo industries) - unless you actually did those HSC subjects or are currently studying something of that level at uni...then don't expect to hear any replies coming soon.

Example: I once had a Mcdonald's interview...brought in all my awards / principle awards ...1st place awards in various subjects and still...They replied with an email saying while my application was good, they have found someone else that fits their criteria better.

Also...I have been to various technology stores applying...and since I'm 1st in three HSC computing subjects..they all go "you know retail is a very different experience" and I'm like bitch I can offer supreme advice to your customers" (lol didn't really say bitch, but I said something along that idea). Aldi want 20 yr olds apparently...Coles I farking applied for them like 2000000 times and still don't hear a reply. Woolworths site ..gosh don't even go there. their site is so shit looks predated before the 21st century. I get offers for jobs in the ACT and farking Bathurst wtf. This world has seriously lost the plot in designing these online job seekers sites. The most friendly job application site I've seen is hungry jacks or Mcdonald's for first time job seekers. I legit handed out over 25 resumes about 2 weeks ago to various stores in my area...I heard back from 2...First one I got a shit underpaid job..and the other one I went for interview and still haven't heard a reply.

I walked into Dicksmith and asked for any jobs...the guy says go online...so I go home..go online and wtf NO JOBS what so ever in NSW and then when there is a job it's something really really far west (4 hour drive anyone?) or some-shit doing night fill like wtf.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We go to school for 13 years and can't even get minimum wage paying jobs wtf is this stupid country doing. Note, GAME and Event cinemas had the same shit...and EB games told me they started hiring in September omfg. So it's really the last straw atm to get a decent paying job. (~$15 an hr).

I have work experience, but as I said it is not relevant to the industries I'm applying for...but these industries are the only industries first time job seekers can get into. I'm starting to think me displaying these previous work experiences is hindering my chance to make an entrance into the retail/hospo industries.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your academics will not prove as of any advantage to an industry that is completely different (retail/hospo industries) - unless you actually did those HSC subjects or are currently studying something of that level at uni...then don't expect to hear any replies coming soon.

Example: I once had a Mcdonald's interview...brought in all my awards / principle awards ...1st place awards in various subjects and still...They replied with an email saying while my application was good, they have found someone else that fits their criteria better.

Also...I have been to various technology stores applying...and since I'm 1st in three HSC computing subjects..they all go "you know retail is a very different experience" and I'm like bitch I can offer supreme advice to your customers" (lol didn't really say bitch, but I said something along that idea). Aldi want 20 yr olds apparently...Coles I farking applied for them like 2000000 times and still don't here a reply. Woolworths site ..gosh don't even go there. their site is so shit looks predated before the 21st century. I get offers for jobs in the ACT and farking Bathurst wtf. This world has seriously lost the plot in designing these online job seekers sites. The most friendly job application site I've seen is hungry jacks or Mcdonald's for first time job seekers. I legit handed out over 25 resumes about 2 weeks ago to various stores in my area...I heard back from 2...First one I got a shit underpaid job..and the other one I went for interview and still haven't heard a reply.

I walked into Dicksmith and asked for any jobs...the guy says go online...so I go home..go online and wtf NO JOBS what so ever in NSW and then when there is a job it's something really really far west (4 hour drive anyone?) or some-shit doing night fill like wtf.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We go to school for 13 years and can't even get minimum wage paying jobs wtf is this stupid country doing. Note, GAME and Event cinemas had the same shit...and EB games told me they started hiring in September omfg. So it's really the last straw atm to get a decent paying job. (~$15 an hr).

I have work experience, but as I said it is not relevant to the industries I'm applying for...but these industries are the only industries first time job seekers can get into. I'm starting to think me displaying these previous work experiences is hindering my chance to make an entrance into the retail/hospo industries.
Why is getting a job so hard? =(

FFFF... I might just say "Stuff it" and just go into maths tutoring or something... for like general and 2u maths. But that doesn't bode well for post-university when my only job experience is 'maths tutoring at home'.

I think I might just ask my friends who work at like KFC or something else if they have any job openings. They can put in a good word for my personality or at least who I am, which -may-cat- says is important...

HSC

Also...I have been to various technology stores applying...and since I'm 1st in three HSC computing subjects..they all go "you know retail is a very different experience" and I'm like bitch I can offer supreme advice to your customers" (lol didn't really say bitch, but I said something along that idea). Aldi want 20 yr olds apparently...Coles I farking applied for them like 2000000 times and still don't here a reply. Woolworths site ..gosh don't even go there. their site is so shit looks predated before the 21st century. I get offers for jobs in the ACT and farking Bathurst wtf. This world has seriously lost the plot in designing these online job seekers sites. The most friendly job application site I've seen is hungry jacks or Mcdonald's for first time job seekers. I legit handed out over 25 resumes about 2 weeks ago to various stores in my area...I heard back from 2...First one I got a shit underpaid job..and the other one I went for interview and still haven't heard a reply.

story of my shit life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)