I need help getting into medicine! (1 Viewer)

Usian1234

Banned
HSC
Hello,

I am really interested in getting into medicine every since I was year 8, I started working hard all year and for umat I tried my best but I didn't do so well.

I hope someone understands what I am going through, I know medicine in hard and competitive, so what Should I do if I don't get a really high Atar 95-99.95. My main interest is doing medicine at UWS, or any other uni in UNSW or Queensland.

My other question: Can I do umat in my first year of University, say for example I do medical Science at UWS. Can you do Umat in your second and third year of Medical Science to get into medicine.

Thanks you so much,

Regards,
Usian1234

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Hello,

I am really interested in getting into medicine every since I was year 8, I started working hard all year and for umat I tried my best but I didn't do so well.

I hope someone understands what I am going through, I know medicine in hard and competitive, so what Should I do if I don't get a really high Atar 95-99.95. My main interest is doing medicine at UWS, or any other uni in UNSW or Queensland.

My other question: Can I do umat in my first year of University, say for example I do medical Science at UWS. Can you do Umat in your second and third year of Medical Science to get into medicine.

Thanks you so much,

Regards,
Usian1234
Yes, if you are undergraduate you do UMAT, if you are post-grad (finished your degree) you do GAMSAT

If you don't get an interview offer for any uni then it's best to do another course next year, re-sit UMAT and try again, a fair few people go via this avenue so you are not alone :) good luck!

Usian1234

Banned
HSC
Yes, if you are undergraduate you do UMAT, if you are post-grad (finished your degree) you do GAMSAT

If you don't get an interview offer for any uni then it's best to do another course next year, re-sit UMAT and try again, a fair few people go via this avenue so you are not alone :) good luck!
Thanks bro,

I don't think you answered what I said, My question was that Can you do Umat in your second and third year of Medical Science to get into medicine. I know you do it in your first year.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Thanks bro,

I don't think you answered what I said, My question was that Can you do Umat in your second and third year of Medical Science to get into medicine. I know you do it in your first year.
Until you graduate with a degree you do the undergraduate test i.e. the UMAT. So you do the UMAT no matter how many years your course is *until* you graduate :) if medical science is 3 years then yes you do it in your 2nd and 3rd year too

Usian1234

Banned
HSC
Until you graduate with a degree you do the undergraduate test i.e. the UMAT. So you do the UMAT no matter how many years your course is *until* you graduate :) if medical science is 3 years then yes you do it in your 2nd and 3rd year too
Bro, are you 100% sure you can do Umat in 2, 3 year of medical science because Uws said that you can only do Umat in your first year.

1. What does GPA of 5.5 mean, How can I get that because UWS says you need 5.5 to be considered but of courses I need to aim higher.

2. Like what marks would I need in Uni to get 5.5 GPA. Also what mark do I need to get a HD throughout the year.

3. What uni is easier to transfer that is not that competitive.

help me bro, as my only hope is to get into medicine hopefully.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Bro, are you 100% sure you can do Umat in 2, 3 year of medical science because Uws said that you can only do Umat in your first year.

1. What does GPA of 5.5 mean, How can I get that because UWS says you need 5.5 to be considered but of courses I need to aim higher.

2. Like what marks would I need in Uni to get 5.5 GPA. Also what mark do I need to get a HD throughout the year.

Please bro, help me out as my only hope if medicine.
Yes you can, what you are referring to is an Advanced Science pathway scheme UWS offers

"Applicants who complete Year 1 (full time) of either the UWS BScience (Advanced) or UWS Medical Science (Advanced) will be considered for an interview if they achieve a GPA of 5.5 or more at the end of year 1 and have a total percentile of 50 or more in UMAT."

this differs from 2nd year onwards whereby you have to get much more than that UMAT percentile of 50% and you need a threshold GPA, its the same as the ATAR system except GPA refers to your uni mark.

In terms of competitiveness etc. and what is the optimal way to go about transferring unfortunately I'm not too well-versed in those deets :/ but im sure someone else can help you there

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

help me bro, as my only hope is to get into medicine hopefully.
I'm probably going to take this pathway too.

UWS is probably the most lenient (If you live in GWS) as they don't take into account your ATAR during your undergrad degree to get into medicine.
I am 100% sure you can do UMAT every year until you graduate. You can get a GPA of 5.5 If you work hard. That's pretty much all they look at if you apply for med undergrad.

UNSW, takes into account UMAT, GPA & ATAR I think.

Another uni which is lenient is UON. Similar to UWS, but obviously if you live in Sydney it's a bit far. Nonetheless, if you want to pursue medicine, I'm pretty sure you'd go anywhere to do it.

I am not sure what kind of marks you need to get 5.5, but I am sure it is quite high. Probably 85%+

Usian1234

Banned
HSC
Say for example, I do edical Science Advanced pathway scheme UWS offers, but I don't get a good Umat in my first year, can I do Umat in the second and third year and transfer if my umat is good enough. Also what Umat Percentile would I need in my first year of uni at Uws.

Also, would I need my Atar in my first year of uni if I do medical science advanced or do I just need GPA & UMAT.

I confused please help bro.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Say for example, I do edical Science Advanced pathway scheme UWS offers, but I don't get a good Umat in my first year, can I do Umat in the second and third year and transfer if my umat is good enough. Also what Umat Percentile would I need in my first year of uni at Uws.

Also, would I need my Atar in my first year of uni if I do medical science advanced or do I just need GPA & UMAT.

I confused please help bro.
While completing your Med Sci Adv degree:
Your ATAR is not needed if you apply for undergraduate medicine at UWS ONLY GPA & UMAT.
You ATAR is needed if you apply for undergraduate medicine at UNSW + GPA + UMAT.

Umat percentile, idk, probably very high. 90th.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure that 5.5 is an averaged mark of 70 (half way between a C and a D)
However, you'd probably want at least a minimum of a D average in order to be eligible
Haha, I don't know about the marks. But in comparison to ATAR I was expecting that you need extremely high marks.

omni16

HSC
I've heard if you get an ATAR of 93+ for GWS students or 95+ for non-GWS and take the mentioned pathway into medicine then all you need to worry about is your UMAT. They check whether you've got said ATAR and if you do they look at your UMAT, regardless of GPA. If you don't they look at your GPA which must be 5.5+. Either one of the two conditions must be satisfied to be further considered.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard if you get an ATAR of 93+ for GWS students or 95+ for non-GWS and take the mentioned pathway into medicine then all you need to worry about is your UMAT. They check whether you've got said ATAR and if you do they look at your UMAT, regardless of GPA. If you don't they look at your GPA which must be 5.5+. Either one of the two conditions must be satisfied to be further considered.
That's correct and it's always been like that

bangladesh

HSC
Unless you get 99.7+ You don't have any chance for undergrad medicine this year. The pathway I'd take if i were you is to either take a gap year (if your atar is 99+) or start a preferably medicine related degree (eg med science) and resit umat and apply as a non-standard.

Goodluck

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
First year of your degree do UMAT
Second and third years do GAMSAT

problem solved

HSC
N/A
If you want help with UMAT, Pioneer tutoring are running a free, full UMAT exam within the next month. Check out my sig for details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)