i need some help pleeeease! (1 Viewer)

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
alright...im doing hsc 04 and my worst subject is english adv. i really need a band 6 in it or im screwed for uai purposes. anyway..straight to the point i need some advice on short listening tasks. its our first internal assesment and i wanna know if you can prepare for it or if its just natural creative ability? PS can anyone tell me which school laz went to and what year/uai? thanks everybody!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
um im prolly not the greatest person to give advice seeing as i dont like english and dont do that great in it.. but the listening tasks are quite easy ... how many times do they play it to you? just be really focused and attentive - read over your questions first so u know wat u need to listen for and for the first listen just listen to it all the way thru .. then for each listen after jot down notes and points ! good luck

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
i htink we get 2 listens and im planning to do just that - listen first then take notes second. can someone whos got some ability in english please give me some advice on this?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Perhaps you should have thought about moving to Standard English and doing well in that course rather than going bad in Advanced. Just a thought.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
listrening tasks are nothing to get worried over
quite easy really
u get 2 listens at whatever they are giving u
i recommend writing major points the FIRST time around, usually ur allowed to see what questions they will be asking you, and at the bottom of the page there is some space to write notes or you get extra paper
if this is the case use your first listen to write down as many points as you can in relation to the questions they impose
during ur 2nd listen add anything that u missed the first time, and also attempt to find links between the material
i dont recommend listening the first time
... because then the pressure is on the 2nd time to write down alot of info and because the listening task is usually 2-3 mins in length u dont get much time
better of using ur 1st and 2nd lesson to get ur notes together
usually u'll find the last question is one that required greater skills that the other ones
with this question make sure u address the question and any qoutes or arguements strenthen ur answer not hamper it
try ur best not to contradict urself cause that loses definate marks
all in all dont worry over listening tasks, everyone always gets worked up bout em but they are rather simple, keeps ur ears open, mind open, make sure u get all the points down concerning each questions
find links and as many quotes as possible
good luck :)

Last edited:

TheKey

HSC
Ok im not the best in eng by any measure but i always killed the listening tasks because i already had a list of techniques in my head and was listening to certain sentences where the technique im looking for is present in.

hence techniques

Sibilance: you can always find this...anything with alot of consequtive "s" sounds, eg 'susie saw a snake' this alludes to...
Cacophany: (i cant spell this), harsh sounds, theres always this too.
Euphony:(cant spell this either), smooth sounds, then basically u juxtapose your point here with your cacophany point to reinforce your argument.

so in summary,

as soon as the task starts make a list of techniques with several lines in between them on scrap paper. Then listening to whatever, write down a quote which coresponds with one of the techniques you have. Use 2nd listening time to fill in gaps you may have missed, double check your quotes and simply listen to what the overall thing is about...

Then when writing starts use your quote and talk about the techinque and more importantly talk about why this technique was used. So u have the quote, how it was said, and why it was said in this way. Well thats what i always did.. and it worked for me.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeha sounds great guys thanks those are some solid tactics. im browsing over my technique notes right now!

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
i take offence at ur comment "someone who has some ability" i have ability in it -- i came 2nd but i just dont enjoy it and its not one of my best subjects!

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
well if you came 2nd (in state/internal)?? you shouldnt have said "dont do that great in it" dumbass

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by skypryn
well if you came 2nd (in state/internal)?? you shouldnt have said "dont do that great in it" dumbass
dont be mean
Originally posted by Loz#1
Perhaps you should have thought about moving to Standard English and doing well in that course rather than going bad in Advanced. Just a thought.
that isnt bad advice actually

s2ophie

HSC
I haven't read all this thread but I did italian continuers so i did a lot of listening practise. The most important things are:

1. read the questions first and have some sort of idea what they might be looking for
2. During the first reading make sure you take down a lot of the important stuff but don't stress if you miss some
3. If you hear something that sounds right DON'T STOP LISTENING. keep listening as you take notes.
4. Utilise the break in between to start formulating the answer and get as much down as you can.
5. Use the second reading to both check your answers andget the ones you missed.

I hope that helps!

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
mazza arent you just doing hsc 04? that means 2nd internally at what school? so dont be offended by my blanket statement (not focused on you). sorry if you were offended by dumbass, i wont do it again. Nah i dont think i need to change to standard. like ill still get 90+ in adv, its just not my forte. as long as i keep getting advice from language based people, i should get like 92/93 ish

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i cant be bothered reading the previous posts, but heres my advice (i got 100% for the adv. eng. speaking task 2003)
*get someone to record a few eg. radio/tv excerpts and play them back, writing everything you remember down when its done. keep repeating with various other excerpts, eventually you should get everything in the one playback (I never did this, but i was told about it by a teacher in yr 11 and i can see how it would work)
*when you are doing the task, listen for key bits of info, and remember just a word or two from it, it is usually enough to jog you're memory for the rest of it
* take advantage of the writing time in between the playings of the recording, write as much as you can on a scrap of paper during that time

i think thats prob all the preparation and everything that you can do...but in general conversations and stuff, try to be really observant to what people are saying

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Yeah alright thanx jess. presumptous AGB, or postsumptous? that is the question at hand. Nah i rekkn ill do it, after all, im aiming at 99.7+ UAI

AGB

HSC
Yeah alright thanx jess. presumptous AGB, or postsumptous? that is the question at hand. Nah i rekkn ill do it, after all, im aiming at 99.7+ UAI
good luck then :) im hoping for something along those lines as well

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
oh agb, youre an 04 student? i thought you already did hsc, or was that just economics? ps, what school?

AGB

HSC
oh agb, youre an 04 student? i thought you already did hsc, or was that just economics? ps, what school?
yeh i hav already dun ecos and business, but am still an 04 student...i pm'd my school to u (dont want to spam :p :p )

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
ok thanks yeah who cares its only a small amount of spam and this is my bitch thread with mazza anyway. what wherer those two marks? i got 93 in engineering. we should be competition buddies for this year. i relaly need an 04 buddy to motivate me. wanna go biatch?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)