I need some motivation (1 Viewer)

HSC
k i just got my SC back n my marks were way below my expectations. i want a UAI above 99 n im doing all the hard subjects next year. if any of u have stories of people who didnt do great in the SC but ended up blitzing the hsc then i'd be pleased to hear them.

Preliminary 2009

Advanced English
Mathematics
Mathematics - Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Legal Studies
Arabic Beginners

Last edited:

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
wow, ur doing lots of units

but theres many stories of people doing well in the hsc, but didn't do well in the sc...
I didn't do too well in the sc but i'm pretty sure i'm going to do well in the hsc, but no guarantees yet, theres still a long way to go, i've definitely been working harder than before so just try your best!!

chamelia

HSC
I don't have specific stories for you.

But I can truthfully say that in my grade, year 10, there were some mediocre students who wanted to go on to year 12 - that were told it wouldn't be a smart move.However, once they got there, they urge to achieve and to learn just kicked in and they did well.

Year 11 - 12 is a very different atmosphere to your other schooling experiences. Action mode kicks in and you either sink or swim. Natural instinct tells you to swim.

You have very high UAI expectations so you better start swimming now and stop doubting yourself.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
k i just got my SC back n my marks were way below my expectations. i want a UAI above 99 n im doing all the hard subjects next year. if any of u have stories of people who didnt do great in the hsc but ended up blitzing the hsc then i'd be pleased to hear them.

Preliminary 2009

Advanced English
Mathematics
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Legal Studies
Arabic Beginners

"Hard subjects"? They are hardly hard at all.

That view you hold is very subjective. High scaling =/= hard subjects. And if you go into your Preliminary with the perception that you will find them difficult, you will struggle. And don't let yourself down. School Certificate is barely relevant to HSC. I myself got mediocre results in few subjects and I am not happy to reveal here. However, I somehow ended up with good HSC results in my accelerated courses.

You will soon see that HSC is all about effort, little bit of natural talent and a bit of luck. If you are willin got put effort in (I am sure you are), you will jump and fly across the obstacles like a feather.

Here are my advices:
  1. be consistent in your learning. I am not asking you to study 10+ hours a day. I am telling you to be consistent. Study a certain amount everyday and lift it up little by little if you can. I started with an hour a day from last year and now I am donig far much more. Shamefully, I didn't carry that consistent studying everyday but on most days, I did. So I am very proud of myself in that regards.
  2. take learning as your own responsibility. HSC is YOUR learning. You shouldn't rely on others to make it easier for you. Therefore, I am asking you to get rid of that idea that tutors = good results (I am alluding to your previous posts about tutoring). You don't need tutors, or some others to guide through this hard time. You are your own motivation. I mean, you SHOULD be your own motivation. Forget all that, you MUST be. I don't deny that tutoring can help. But relying on tutors is just stupid. If you do have tutoring, make most of it. Do your homework, listen and take notes. Do more than what tutors ask you to and embrace that moment.
  3. study SMART! HSC is all about strategies too. Studying effectively for an hour is better than studying just for 2 hours. My tip in regards to this, um well...it really depends on the subject. But for your subjects, making good notes and doing lots of past papers will surely help. As I said, take some consistent studying. Within that, make some notes, some good notes. Use a variety of sources of information. I myself have 4 textbooks for a certain subject. I use them all to make notes. That sure helps. But 2-3 should be really sufficient. And remember: past papers is the key to success. The more you do, the better. Past papers are just better than anything (even textbooks) when it comes to revision.
  4. prioritise!, yes, prioritise. Know what you are going to do. Plan your day. Or at least, know what you are going to do on certain day. Don't waste your time.
  5. Have some phun time! Yes, it's necessary. During your HSC, certain level of moderation is necessary. Some members around here have suggested that already (e.g. Jules). I personally take around few hours to exercise and BOS around here. I even take some time to talk on MSN but I try not to overdo it (that way, it becomes procrastination). As long as you don't make it a habit (by that, I mean, keep doing it until it spends your own studying time), it's good.
  6. Take advantage of the scaling system. By looking at the scaling reports, you can see where you need to work harder. In some subjects, dropping 1 mark can hurt more than dropping one mark in other subjects. For example, for English (Advanced) dropping few marks can damange your UAI more than dropping few marks in subject, say Mathematics Extension 2. Some people have taken this system to their advantage by putting some effort into English. I will take dp624 (member around here who got 100 UAI) as an example. He utilised this scaling system to his own advatange by studying a litttle bit more for his English. That way, he managed a very good mark in English that hardly affected his total UAI aggregate. Hm...I think I am getting too technical and using too much unnecessary jargons but basically, what I am saying here is: study subjects that will potentially drag your UAI down most. Usually those subjects are those with lower scaling.
Here are the advices that I can really give. I can squeeze extras in but meh, you are only in yr 10 (yr 11 next year) and I dont' want to bombard you with unnecessary yr 12 information and scare you off. So basically, for yr 11, study consistenyl and have phun. Nothing in yr 11 counts towards HSC. But it is during that time that you really need to get the focus back and try to form your own study plan that you can utilise for your HSC time. And get all the necessary feedbacks from your teachers. IMPROVE on them. If you become mindless about valuable advices that teachers give you, there isn't much point in yr 11.

Cheers.

shell.q

HSC
dude i didnt even sit the sc, mnd u my marks would of been crap if i did.
and i have to say i am actually about top 40-30 in the yr with our prelim, so going good.
I figured if you have a desire to be something and do something huge, you will get it. If you lose the desire you lose the want and need for the mark and get lazy, hense go crap.

thts my theory anyway

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
I will take dp624 (member around here who got 100 UAI) as an example. He utilised this scaling system to his own advatange by studying a litttle bit more for his English. That way, he managed a very good mark in English that hardly affected his total UAI aggregate.

Cheers.
I heartily agree with Namu's advice, it's really good and well thought out. However the reason I worked hard on English was to maximise my aggregate. My other subjects were hanging about the 98~ mark, which means any gains I had there would not have translated to a significantly higher mark. However, my english of ~93 still had a lot to offer. 93 Scales to about 91, while a 96 stays even. Now, because I worked to improve 3 marks in english, my aggregate went up 5 points. If i had improved 3 marks in chemistry (ok, i can't get 101), it would have only gone up about 3 points.

If you need motivation, you need to find it within yourself. Somehow convince yourself that anything less than 99.5 and you'll jump of a cliff or something. Aim really really high. Hang about really high achievers. You'll want to become like them to not be ashamed =P.

HSC
sry guys it seems i wrote HSC instead of SC in my main message. i've edited it now.

VanDAmme

HSC
N/A
why are you doing so many units? seriously at a quick glance you had about 18

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
digimonstudent said:
k i just got my SC back n my marks were way below my expectations. i want a UAI above 99 n im doing all the hard subjects next year. if any of u have stories of people who didnt do great in the SC but ended up blitzing the hsc then i'd be pleased to hear them.

Preliminary 2009

Advanced English
Mathematics
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Legal Studies
Arabic Beginners
Loads of units and good scaling subjects does not mean you will get a great uai.
I suggest that you drop one of your 2 unit subjects already, if you become overwhelmed in Prelim then your grounding for the HSC will be shaky and lead a significant decrease in your marks if you do not understand the groundings of some of your subjects.

Aim high but you need to be realistic about what you can achieve, good luck :)

arjungamer123

HSC
I got all band 5s in the SC, but I was a high achiever in my preliminary year. DW. SC counts for nothing.

HSC
dp624 said:
I don't understand arabic beginners, it looks really out of place lawl.
its not really arabic beginners its just something i learn after school cause i wanna.

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
digimonstudent said:
its not really arabic beginners its just something i learn after school cause i wanna.
= Doesnt that mean it doesnt count towards a unit? o_O

dp624

HSC
chichichip said:
= Doesnt that mean it doesnt count towards a unit? o_O
Nah it counts, its called distance ed or community school or something like that

but interanlly i don think it counts

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Work hard. Play hard. Make your spare time count and don't forget about your friends.

emzynr

HSC
mate.. just try your best do your assignments and never get panicked about past results.. its over with.. ull do well.. keep maintaining a good rank..

Iain Hewitson

HSC
lyounamu said:
"Hard subjects"? They are hardly hard at all.

That view you hold is very subjective. High scaling =/= hard subjects. And if you go into your Preliminary with the perception that you will find them difficult, you will struggle. And don't let yourself down. School Certificate is barely relevant to HSC. I myself got mediocre results in few subjects and I am not happy to reveal here. However, I somehow ended up with good HSC results in my accelerated courses.

You will soon see that HSC is all about effort, little bit of natural talent and a bit of luck. If you are willin got put effort in (I am sure you are), you will jump and fly across the obstacles like a feather.

Here are my advices:
  1. be consistent in your learning. I am not asking you to study 10+ hours a day. I am telling you to be consistent. Study a certain amount everyday and lift it up little by little if you can. I started with an hour a day from last year and now I am donig far much more. Shamefully, I didn't carry that consistent studying everyday but on most days, I did. So I am very proud of myself in that regards.
  2. take learning as your own responsibility. HSC is YOUR learning. You shouldn't rely on others to make it easier for you. Therefore, I am asking you to get rid of that idea that tutors = good results (I am alluding to your previous posts about tutoring). You don't need tutors, or some others to guide through this hard time. You are your own motivation. I mean, you SHOULD be your own motivation. Forget all that, you MUST be. I don't deny that tutoring can help. But relying on tutors is just stupid. If you do have tutoring, make most of it. Do your homework, listen and take notes. Do more than what tutors ask you to and embrace that moment.
  3. study SMART! HSC is all about strategies too. Studying effectively for an hour is better than studying just for 2 hours. My tip in regards to this, um well...it really depends on the subject. But for your subjects, making good notes and doing lots of past papers will surely help. As I said, take some consistent studying. Within that, make some notes, some good notes. Use a variety of sources of information. I myself have 4 textbooks for a certain subject. I use them all to make notes. That sure helps. But 2-3 should be really sufficient. And remember: past papers is the key to success. The more you do, the better. Past papers are just better than anything (even textbooks) when it comes to revision.
  4. prioritise!, yes, prioritise. Know what you are going to do. Plan your day. Or at least, know what you are going to do on certain day. Don't waste your time.
  5. Have some phun time! Yes, it's necessary. During your HSC, certain level of moderation is necessary. Some members around here have suggested that already (e.g. Jules). I personally take around few hours to exercise and BOS around here. I even take some time to talk on MSN but I try not to overdo it (that way, it becomes procrastination). As long as you don't make it a habit (by that, I mean, keep doing it until it spends your own studying time), it's good.
  6. Take advantage of the scaling system. By looking at the scaling reports, you can see where you need to work harder. In some subjects, dropping 1 mark can hurt more than dropping one mark in other subjects. For example, for English (Advanced) dropping few marks can damange your UAI more than dropping few marks in subject, say Mathematics Extension 2. Some people have taken this system to their advantage by putting some effort into English. I will take dp624 (member around here who got 100 UAI) as an example. He utilised this scaling system to his own advatange by studying a litttle bit more for his English. That way, he managed a very good mark in English that hardly affected his total UAI aggregate. Hm...I think I am getting too technical and using too much unnecessary jargons but basically, what I am saying here is: study subjects that will potentially drag your UAI down most. Usually those subjects are those with lower scaling.
Here are the advices that I can really give. I can squeeze extras in but meh, you are only in yr 10 (yr 11 next year) and I dont' want to bombard you with unnecessary yr 12 information and scare you off. So basically, for yr 11, study consistenyl and have phun. Nothing in yr 11 counts towards HSC. But it is during that time that you really need to get the focus back and try to form your own study plan that you can utilise for your HSC time. And get all the necessary feedbacks from your teachers. IMPROVE on them. If you become mindless about valuable advices that teachers give you, there isn't much point in yr 11.

Cheers.
Thanks, lyounamu, for such advantageous advice.

What I want to ask is; how do you suppose students go about getting 'necessary feedback' from their teachers?

sirfeathers

HSC
dude... SC is mostly multiple choice. HSC you actually need to put in consistent effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)