I really need a 99 atar (1 Viewer)

Grinder

HSC
As I have mentioned I really need a 99 atar to get into the uni that I am passionate about, I have just started year 11 and am willing to work as hard as it takes, and would like guidance on how to study, how many hours and anything that can help me get the 99 atar. I am doing eng and maths ext 1, physics, economics and business studies. I also go to a public school ranked in the 300s

Thanks in advance.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
DO what your username suggests and GRIND.

You really want 1st in Everything for 99 since in school's Ranked 300, there's probably only 1-3 people (sometimes even 0) that get a B6 per subject.

You only need to outwork second place.

Grinder

HSC
Yes that is why I chose the username, and also 1st in every subject in my cohort right?
I am planning on to move to a private school that is ranked in the 100s what about then

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Yes that is why I chose the username, and also 1st in every subject in my cohort right?
I am planning on to move to a private school that is ranked in the 100s what about then
For your first query, it really depends on how many band 6's to determine a safety rank of where you can rank for a Band 6. So you might want to check your new school on HSC Ninja and see how many B6's a past cohort gets in your subjects.

Also how many band 6s would I need?
Practically everything, I put 90 for all my subjects on HSC Ninja and got 97.65. However, you can get B5's still but that's only if you get high B6's. See @quickoats for an example of this.

YonOra

HSC
Also how many band 6s would I need?
A 99 ATAR would require all band 6's.

Achieving a 99 ATAR is no easy feat. Once you get into that territory, it's no longer about just grinding. You need to be very, very smart with your time. Even the most organised, hard working students will end up with a 97-98, because they don't fully understand how to maximise their time. You really have to figure this one out for yourself. You're at the perfect time to do this aswell.

I'll give you an example of something i do. I always stay ahead of my maths class, both Adv and Ext. I make my notes prior to class, and complete all the exercises. This is so I can sit in class and do past papers upon past papers, and challenging worksheets. I'm then able to nit pick what i hear from my teacher in terms of picking up skilful techniques or handy tips for approaching questions. This is works for me, and may not for you, so really configure your time strategically.

If you're at a school ranked 300th, i would hands down say being 1st in all your subjects is vital. I don't know of many schools at that rank that achieve more than 0-3 band 6's per subject. But what you also have to realise is your positioning comparative to the state. Your exams (may) be much easier than other schools. So, to better prepare yourself for your external examination, do other schools past papers - get used to the difficulty.

And of course, this goes without saying, work hard. Unless you're naturally intelligent, unfortunately theres no way around it. You're competing against an odd 70,000 student, and they won't let you have it easily.

Also I'd advise you to pick your battles. For example, Mathematics has always been my strong suit - and my school gets quite a lot of band 6's in it, and i know i'll be able to rank close to the top/ the top without putting in too much work. This allows me to focus on a subject like English which requires copious amounts of effort to top, let alone rank highly, when theres always some gunner who's been writing essays since Year 2. So, identify your strengths, and play to them.

Only idiots spread their time evenly across subjects.

Last edited:

YonOra

HSC
As for study techniques, this is also something you have to find out for yourself. Do some research, it really changed my grades once i flipped from that traditional way of studying. There are plenty of resources and videos out there, with sufficient scientific evidence that you'd be crazy not to integrate it into your own study habits.

Best of luck.

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
As for study techniques, this is also something you have to find out for yourself. Do some research, it really changed my grades once i flipped from that traditional way of studying. There are plenty of resources and videos out there, with sufficient scientific evidence that you'd be crazy not to integrate it into your own study habits.

Best of luck.
Quickoats: am I a joke to you?

as in the all b6

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Yeah fine but i doubt QuickOats went to a school ranked 300th. The man also got 99 and 98 for maths Ext 1 & 2. Not exactly an easy feat in its self.
Nah I’m just emphasising the “Am I a joke to you” meme

username_2

HSC
A 99 ATAR would require all band 6's.

Achieving a 99 ATAR is no easy feat. Once you get into that territory, it's no longer about just grinding. You need to be very, very smart with your time. Even the most organised, hard working students will end up with a 97-98, because they don't fully understand how to maximise their time. You really have to figure this one out for yourself. You're at the perfect time to do this aswell.

I'll give you an example of something i do. I always stay ahead of my maths class, both Adv and Ext. I make my notes prior to class, and complete all the exercises. This is so I can sit in class and do past papers upon past papers, and challenging worksheets. I'm then able to nit pick what i hear from my teacher in terms of picking up skilful techniques or handy tips for approaching questions. This is works for me, and may not for you, so really configure your time strategically.

If you're at a school ranked 300th, i would hands down say being 1st in all your subjects is vital. I don't know of many schools at that rank that achieve more than 0-3 band 6's per subject. But what you also have to realise is your positioning comparative to the state. Your exams (may) be much easier than other schools. So, to better prepare yourself for your external examination, do other schools past papers - get used to the difficulty.

And of course, this goes without saying, work hard. Unless you're naturally intelligent, unfortunately theres no way around it. You're competing against an odd 70,000 student, and they won't let you have it easily.

Also I'd advise you to pick your battles. For example, Mathematics has always been my strong suit - and my school gets quite a lot of band 6's in it, and i know i'll be able to rank close to the top/ the top without putting in too much work. This allows me to focus on a subject like English which requires copious amounts of effort to top, let alone rank highly, when theres always some gunner who's been writing essays since Year 2. So, identify your strengths, and play to them.

Only idiots spread their time evenly across subjects.

Best of luck.
This is good advice (although it may be a bit heavy in work) but I certainly don't agree with the last one. I certainly think spreading the time evenly is NOT stupid and you can certainly manage a 99+ without 6 band 6s (4 mid b6s and 2 high b5s and got a 99.25 in a ~325 ranked school). But really, a lot of what Grinder needs can only be done in his own way so... yeh. Just trying to help.

idkkdi

HSC
As I have mentioned I really need a 99 atar to get into the uni that I am passionate about, I have just started year 11 and am willing to work as hard as it takes, and would like guidance on how to study, how many hours and anything that can help me get the 99 atar. I am doing eng and maths ext 1, physics, economics and business studies. I also go to a public school ranked in the 300s

Thanks in advance.
dude 99 ATAR literally misses everything you need 99 ATAR for. LOL. what is the plan?

Yeah fine but i doubt QuickOats went to a school ranked 300th. The man also got 99 and 98 for maths Ext 1 & 2. Not exactly an easy feat in its self.
@quickoats went to the superior agricultural school :).
This is good advice (although it may be a bit heavy in work) but I certainly don't agree with the last one. I certainly think spreading the time evenly is NOT stupid and you can certainly manage a 99+ without 6 band 6s (4 mid b6s and 2 high b5s and got a 99.25 in a ~325 ranked school). But really, a lot of what Grinder needs can only be done in his own way so... yeh. Just trying to help.
m8 u took like the highest scaling subjects.

Everwinter

HSC
even in a 100s school, you probably need to be the 1st in your entire year, because schools like this does not always have 99 atar every year

black.mamba

HSC
I clearly didn’t follow this advice myself but I’d really emphasize the importance of English to getting a high ATAR.

Getting a mid/high band 6 for English gives you a great chance of 99+, whereas a mid band 5 could cripple your chances.

For a school ranked ~100, you’d want to be in the top 10% in every subject at worst (preferably rank 1).

Lastly, you don’t need all band 6s, especially considering that your subjects scale well, but you’d need some high band 6s to balance out any band 5s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)