I want a 99+ atar (1 Viewer)

gleeek

HSC
Hey everyone, I am currently in year 10 and am stressing about year 11 and 12.

I am taking next year as a new start and want to do extremely well and I am starting to feel the pressure already.

The subjects I am taking are: Advanced English, Legal studies, Business studies, Modern history, Ancient history and General maths.

I already bought two text books for next year (for legal and biz) and am getting them tomorrow so I want to start looking through them and start making notes.

PS thanks for everyones posts on here, they have been very helpful. I love this website.

The main question is; how I do extremely well in year 11 and hen hopefully I achieve an at atar of 99+ in year 12.

ANY ADVICE?
Thank you advance BOSers.

Pfortune35

HSC
differs every year and depends on subjects but a band 6 in each one of those subject will probs get u 99+

albeitunique

HSC
It's a good idea to get into good studying habits when you are in year 11, but don't stress too much-
I've heard of people trying really hard in year 11 and just ending up burnt out for year 12.
Goodluck! :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
you aren't doing any extension subjects or high scaling subjects

To get 99 you'll probably need about 94 in each one

why do you want 99 though?

a word of advice: Do not try too hard in year 11. you will burn out

Alkanes

HSC
You stressing? I'm in year 12 atm and havn't dripped a sweat "yet" LOL

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
You stressing? I'm in year 12 atm and havn't dripped a sweat "yet" LOL
this lol. Caring that much about year 11 can only mean one thing - craziness and eventual failure

enjoy ur prelim years while they last

gleeek

HSC
you aren't doing any extension subjects or high scaling subjects

To get 99 you'll probably need about 94 in each one

why do you want 99 though?

a word of advice: Do not try too hard in year 11. you will burn out
Um... 'high scaling' subjects don't always guarantee success, you can get it with any subject choice and I know that I will have to do heaps well do get a high atar as will everyone else but I am ready to put that effort in and start early hence me asking this question.

And to answer your question, I need 99+ coz I want to do Law at university and am not going to a university like UOW or UWS I want either USYD or UNSW and am not going to settle for anything else.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Um... 'high scaling' subjects don't always guarantee success, you can get it with any subject choice and I know that I will have to do heaps well do get a high atar as will everyone else but I am ready to put that effort in and start early hence me asking this question.

And to answer your question, I need 99+ coz I want to do Law at university and am not going to a university like UOW or UWS I want either USYD or UNSW and am not going to settle for anything else.
Doesn't USYD and UNSW recommend that you do English Extension 1 in the HSC for law? Law is 99.5 I think ;D
How to get 99+ ATAR:
Ignore the SC and get a headstart ;D
Get familiar with each subject's syllabus!
Start gathering some notes from past students and past papers if possible!
Be consistent with your study!
Spend an equal amount of time on EVERY subject! To get 99+ without Extension courses will definitely require you to do VERY good in EVERY subject!
Also, you don't really need to waste your money on Prelim textbooks, just use the books that your school provides! Or borrow off someone!

I wish you the best of luck as a fellow Year 10 Student!

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
if you bothered to read my post, i never even said that. I said because you don't do high scaling subjects you would need to get even higher marks than say someone who did chemistry, physics or maths extension. So thank you for repeating what i just said. I wasnt degrading you or anything because you don't do those subjects...

Um no... it means dedication and eventual success.
come back when you've actually done year 11 and 12, and you've heard of the term 'burnout'

being to committed to year 11 when it doesn't count towards anything can be counter-productive to the actual hsc

Last edited:

zombies

HSC
Aw, don't stress! It's still only yr10, you have plenty of time to study and learn your stuff over the next two years..
Study ahead by all means (I am!) but there's no need to be stressing at this point in time.. just take it slow, study a little bit each day but still go out and enjoy life and hang out with your friends or play some video games or whatever.

PhysicsGirl

HSC
I would use EXCEL textbooks. I'm pretty sure they cover all dot points in the syllabus, as well as offering sample exam pampers, etc.

However, to give you the best advice, don't try and burn yourself out by doing this. Just sit back and enjoy Year 10 before Year 11 starts; because Year 11 is very different to junior school, and it might take you a while to adjust. And as for "burn out" - it's a very used and common word. You don't want to put in all your effort in Year 11, and then have no energy left for the real thing. Just expirement with different study techniques, and make sure you know the foundations required to be able to go into Year 12.

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
Always listen in class, always do your homework and try to keep revising. But most of all don't stress. Learn to love your subjects and just chilll brahh

HSC
In year 11, it's important to study, but DON'T overwork yourself, or I promise you that you will be burnt out in year 12. Once you're settled in year 12, go all out, but still have a abit of a social life

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC

Doing general maths guarantee's you wont get 99, i did the shit subject do 2unit or just focus on the 10 units.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Add me to the bandwagon of needing to get a very high score in general maths to get 99+-thinking at least mid 90s. Unless it doesn't end up counting.

Lina3

HSC
I am doing the same thing. At the moment, with one week until school certificate I am just revising for that (since I don't want to get a bad mark, after all). My focus for yr 11 study is Maths since I am doing extension and there is quite a lot of content. Also, out of everything I am doing Maths is probably the subject in which I have the least natural ability -_- So...just focus on the things you feel need the most work.

Also...a semi-related question (won't make a thread about it since I doubt it would need a very detailed answer): What marks do you need to be an all-rounder?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I am doing the same thing. At the moment, with one week until school certificate I am just revising for that (since I don't want to get a bad mark, after all). My focus for yr 11 study is Maths since I am doing extension and there is quite a lot of content. Also, out of everything I am doing Maths is probably the subject in which I have the least natural ability -_- So...just focus on the things you feel need the most work.

Also...a semi-related question (won't make a thread about it since I doubt it would need a very detailed answer): What marks do you need to be an all-rounder?
Like 90+ for all your subjects?

suling

HSC
B6/E4 in 10 or more units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)