I was told... (1 Viewer)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Some time ago, I was told to find the broadest thesis statement for module B and write an essay on it for my half yearlies practice. I was told that I should do my essay then submit to teacher and keep doing so until she gives me a 20/20 and then just place the rote-learnt essay in the exam. Is this the method you guys used?
Thanks

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I highly don't recommend you to use this method, it really reduces your ability to learn to adapt your knowledge to different essay questions, and it really significantly reduces your enjoyment of the module... in general, always understand, do your own personal analyses, listen in class attentively to other people's view points and learn how to use that knowledge to answer different essay question as closely as possible.

HSC
N/A
Hi hit patel,

The method of writing a broad, conceptually excellent essay and then perfecting it via intensive marking is highly successful! Many state rankers have also used this method to (evidently) great success. However, you cannot merely 'place' your rote learnt essay into the exam, but need to successfully adapt it to the given question at hand in a complex and holistic manner.

Markers have been trained to look for rote learnt responses that have not been adapted to the question and these are held in an extremely negative light in the marking centre.

Best of luck!

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I would like to ask what you would do if the question in the examination is not something you have prepared for. This is the problem with prepared responses of any sort — you get so accustomed to remembering such a response that the likelihood is, if you do receive a question that has no relevance to the thesis statement, you still will end up applying it and thus not answering the question whatsoever. It is a trap many students fall into and it was practically hammered into my head from many of my teachers that the most important thing to do in an essay is actually answer the question, no matter how simple it sounds. It is easy to get caught up with your own pre-determined ideas of what the essay question should or might have been.

Frankly, like strawberrye said, I would not recommend it whatsoever. Another problem about a broad thesis is that it does not teach you how to be specific. You need to be specific because the likelihood is, the question is going to be specific. Markers do not want to read some vague dribble that just sounds like you have regurgitated it from the classroom. Markers appreciate independent thought that has been appropriately cultivated in response to the question and backed up with relevant textual evidence. Not to mention that if you are using the broadest thesis statement, you probably will not get 20/20 in the first place, since your intention will never be clear nor confident.
Your suggestion?

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Your suggestion?
Practice writing many essays instead of one.

Give yourself a new question every week, and try answering it to the best of your ability. At the beginning you will suck harder than a recondensed singularity, but after a while you will slowly get less incompetent.

This forces you to think on the fly and come up with relevant, tailored responses to any number of different situations. The more you do this, the stronger the mental channels which govern these analytic processes (this is proven by #SCIENCE). In other words, practice makes permanent.

Think of English as a sport: you're training your muscles and building them up over time. You can't predict what your opponent will do on the day - but you can prepare your mind and body to be ready to take on most whatever they throw at you. The "and body" bit is not superfluous: handwriting stamina is one of the main killers in the exam room.

Delta Education's advice is probably well-meaning but also dangerous: the "tweaking" approach prepares you a little bit more for variations in questions and approaches, but not much. In fact it can breed a false sense of security that you're answering the question when, in fact, you're just packaging up a turd in a shiny new wrapper.

strawberrye and superesse know what they're talking about. Trust them.

britaker

HSC
Hell naw, write paragraphs on your themes and practice adapting them to questions. Memorising an essay sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)