Ideal phone for university students (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Can anyone suggest a good phone for me?

I mainly want to use a phone for:
- SMS
- Phone calls
- MSN perhaps
- mp3
- Camera

Price range: anything below $1000. Thanks

P.S. I just checked out this phone callled Nokia N900...it looks so impressive! Does anyone know about this phone?

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
There would be an ideal phone particular for a university student? I'm sure everyone's to their own in features and what not. I would look for the best rates/plan.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Wow Namu, I just checked out the Nokia N900 and I already want one (even though it's not out yet)... Looks like it'll be expensive though...

I generally haven't been a fan of most touchscreen phones because of the lack of a keyboard. I can't stand 'typing' on a screen - it's not even something I want to try and get used to. But that phone looks awesome!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Wow Namu, I just checked out the Nokia N900 and I already want one (even though it's not out yet)... Looks like it'll be expensive though...

I generally haven't been a fan of most touchscreen phones because of the lack of a keyboard. I can't stand 'typing' on a screen - it's not even something I want to try and get used to. But this phone looks awesome!
Ye!! That's soo true!!!

I want to buy that @_@

It's apparently 500 pounds or euros or something...so I guess the Aus price woule hover around a grand? If it's that...I am so buying it!

But I still accept other options (if they are better than Nokia N900) xD

HSC
from what i've seen so far, the N900 is actually pretty good + it received good ratings from GSM Arena.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I have a sony ericsson k800i.

Good for txting
Good for calling
I dont msn on it
I dont mp3 on it
3.2MP camera, pretty good quality pics:
Notes written in my exercise book.
Picture of my laptop screen.
My laptop hooked up to a projector in a classroom at uni.
Pretty good camera, and i actually use it often in the above 3 instances, quick way of copying large amounts of notes etc.

oi, is it good for taking clear quality pics of john's thermodynamics lectures on the blackboard?
even though you showed the moody diagrams from fluids.

and does it give off a significant click, inciting an undesirable reaction from him?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a huge Nokia fan. Not sure how the new direction of Nokia products is going. I personally use all their business phones (currently using an E71 and E51). Only downside is camera sucks on business phones as you'd expect but the E71 has a beautiful keyboard to use and it works great with email.

Based on your needs I don't know if E71 really suits you. It's great for MSN and stuff on the go because unlike a touchscreen, they keyboard is actually really good... so maybe consider an N97 or the upcoming N97 mini (I think that's what it's called). My friend has one and it seems alright, albeit a bit showy.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
The reviews I've been reading place the N900 in about the same boat as the N97.

My friend has an N97 and I have a iPhone 32GB 3Gs

Pros N97
Good battery life with interchangeable spare batteries
You can have live Widgets
Can add storage with the Micro SD card

Cons N97
The keyboard is a little annoying to use
Big and clunky
Apps and particularly Music player are kinda crap
Pressure touch screen, which requires force and is slightly unresponsive
Slightly expensive

Pros iPhone 3GS
Fast
Heaps of Apps and the music player is of course good (particularly with a good set of headphones
Really responsive touch screen (conductive)

Cons
Battery life only last 1 day with heavy use (we're talking using Apps all day... so 2 or 3 usually)
Only 3 megapixel camera (which is still pretty fair though)

I've found the iPhone great for Uni stuff. The apps (including timetabling, Public Transport timetables, homework reminders and a great internet interface) are great.

3 and Optus have the best plans. (It's about $1000 to buy outright)

I'm on Optus' $59 cap which gets me $330 worth of Calls to anyone, $350 calls to Optus, 700MB Data and unlimited text messages... with a $14 a month handset repayment. So over 2 years you're looking at like $1700.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
The reviews I've been reading place the N900 in about the same boat as the N97.

My friend has an N97 and I have a iPhone 32GB 3Gs

Pros N97
Good battery life with interchangeable spare batteries
You can have live Widgets
Can add storage with the Micro SD card

Cons N97
The keyboard is a little annoying to use
Big and clunky
Apps and particularly Music player are kinda crap
Pressure touch screen, which requires force and is slightly unresponsive
Slightly expensive

Pros iPhone 3GS
Fast
Heaps of Apps and the music player is of course good (particularly with a good set of headphones
Really responsive touch screen (conductive)

Cons
Battery life only last 1 day with heavy use (we're talking using Apps all day... so 2 or 3 usually)
Only 3 megapixel camera (which is still pretty fair though)

I've found the iPhone great for Uni stuff. The apps (including timetabling, Public Transport timetables, homework reminders and a great internet interface) are great.

3 and Optus have the best plans. (It's about $1000 to buy outright)

I'm on Optus' $59 cap which gets me $330 worth of Calls to anyone, $350 calls to Optus, 700MB Data and unlimited text messages... with a $14 a month handset repayment. So over 2 years you're looking at like $1700.
Omg....that's bloody amazing!!!

I really appreciate it xD

Oh btw, do I get to keep the phone when the plan finishes?

Predator78

HSC
I have a sony ericsson k800i.

Good for txting
Good for calling
I dont msn on it
I dont mp3 on it
3.2MP camera, pretty good quality pics:
Notes written in my exercise book.
Picture of my laptop screen.
My laptop hooked up to a projector in a classroom at uni.
Pretty good camera, and i actually use it often in the above 3 instances, quick way of copying large amounts of notes etc.
Another K800i fan here. Had mine for almost two years and can't fault it. Good camera, easy to text, good sound for music and calling. Etc etc.
The music player on it is basically a walkman one just without all the branding.

Although if your budget is around $1000 I would check out:
Sony Ericsson Xperia X2
Nokia N97
Nokia N900
iPhone 3GS

It's best to go around all stores and ask for demonstrations and find a plan that suits you, such as you may need internet usage or you might just need one to text and call.

Just my two cents :)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
oi, is it good for taking clear quality pics of john's thermodynamics lectures on the blackboard?
even though you showed the moody diagrams from fluids.

and does it give off a significant click, inciting an undesirable reaction from him?
not from where i usually sit (the back), need to be a bit more forward to get a good pic, but i reckon from halfway up the front half of the lecture theatre should be ok.

and yes it does give off a click, i'll show u at uni, but if ppl are talking then u cant hear it, its not that loud.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)