Ideas on Study Groups anyone? (1 Viewer)

AlexMD

HSC
Hey Guys and Gals,

So the half yearlies just went by for nearly everyone who's in year 11, and there's always that feeling that you didn't do as well as you think you could have? Anyway, just thought I'd ask around about study groups? if anyone's in one, or would might just like to get one going? At the moment the main subject I'm kinda going for is Maths (3U + 2U) as thats the most standardized one across all schools.

So if you're interested or are already part of one, let me know :)

For anyone who still hasn't finished their half yearlies, Good Luck

Take Care,

Alex

K

khorne

Organise your own study group in school. Get a few people to spend an afternoon or some free periods together and actually study. This is where the problem lies, make sure these people are like minded, and have similar or higher ability, otherwise you will get no where. But apart from that, keep the group small, and it will be pretty beneficial.

AlexMD

HSC
Thanks Khorne but that's all a little textbook don't you think? I mean, don't get me wrong, people pay good money to get that kind of advice from study seminars but I'm looking for something a little different.

People who meet in school, sure you know each other and I'm sure it'd work really well. But you have to consider that when you do your HSC you're not just putting yourself up against your school friends, but against the whole state (...I know, I'm being a little textbook there too)

So anyway, back to my original question, if there's anyone who thinks it wouldn't be a bad idea for somedifferent people to get together and study up either post up here or feel free to message me.

Brontecat

HSC
i think thats a pretty good idea to give you a greater perspective and just a group of people who may be less distractable than your friends

AlexMD

HSC
hey bronte, that's exactly what I mean - nice to know I'm not the only one.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
It's a bit hard to form an out of school study group IMO, because different schools will be learning different topics at different stages. Also, different schools have different difficulty levels in assessment tasks.

AlexMD

HSC
It's a bit hard to form an out of school study group IMO, because different schools will be learning different topics at different stages. Also, different schools have different difficulty levels in assessment tasks.
Sure, it's not the easiest thing in the world and with less 'standardized' subjects its hard to get together with people who study the same topics etc. But if you think about it, tutoring uses the same principle of getting people from different places together and going through different topics with them.

I guess what i mean is, if the group is a good one with people who, for the most part, know what theyre doing then it doesn't matter where everyone's up to because you can help each other other on different topics that you've done and they havent or vice versa.
I guess it does get harder as you include more and more people but for now I'm just lookin to see if anyone thinks the idea is a goer?

Trying to keep my msgs short as always,:)

Alex

pillar

HSC
yeah sweet

just talk on msn lol, not really a 'study group' per se but it's probably better as you can just ask for help whenever

AlexMD

HSC
well that's a pretty fair idea pillar, maybe even skype if you want to go a step further...the plans really haven't been set yet - just tryin gto get an idea of whether there are enough people willing to give it a shot

Brontecat

HSC
yeah sweet

just talk on msn lol, not really a 'study group' per se but it's probably better as you can just ask for help whenever
that's a pretty good idea cause i can help you to broaden your horizons even more, i know other people on the bored have tried this (-not sure if its worked though)

AlexMD

HSC
that's a pretty good idea cause i can help you to broaden your horizons even more, i know other people on the bored have tried this (-not sure if its worked though)
well with a few people like yourself brontecat we might get it moving along pretty well: msn, skype, yahoo whatever way makes it easier for everyone...

AlexMD

HSC
well me too...guess that's a tad obvious though right

Brontecat

HSC
perhaps if it was more convenient it could even be on bored - we could make a group and use the discussions or something

K

khorne

If you want to "broaden" your hozions, why not join subject specific forums? Like art of problem solving for Math, or the physics forum for Physics, etc...They have a lot of very intelligent people on there, and you are certain to learn a few things from them.

AlexMD

HSC
Well if you'll look to your left you'll see the shiny new member tag over there...i didn't know about any groups/ forums that were around dealing specifically with things...i thought this was all BoS had to offer?

and besides that, simply put, posting on a forum all day isn't really as interactive as instant messaging, talking etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)