idiot (1 Viewer)

jack white

After Hours
HSC
you are reading the post of a dickhead. i stuffed up my trial so bad today. i was sitting on a 92 average but today i just freaked and picked the wrong question.....you know how in the ancient paper you do personality, society, historical period, selected society/period. i, being a dumbass, picked another historical period rather than the society i am actually studying. and what's worse, the society question was on the Nile - an easy one! i did a question on changing religious beliefs - something i have not even studied. whilst i was writing the question i was thinking "fuck this is hard" and "why dont i know this?". idiot.

am i the only person who has ever done this? is this common? will this ruin my internal mark for ancient? and moreover, would i get any marks for my stupid attempt at a question i should not have attempted?

please try and inspire me - i feel like shit - not even vesna's whinging could cheer me up tonight! i have never felt so dumb!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The ancient exam is a challenge in itself, and why trials are done, so that you can get used to navigating them.

I wouldn't expect a flashy mark, but if it gives you some hope, the fact you answered the wrong question may or may not be apparent to the markers, since they don't know what you've studied, and if you do happen to answer decently within a different area, you can still somewhat get decent grades.

But yeah, i would be more thankful its in the trials and not the hsc if thats any consolation.

jack white

After Hours
HSC
my teacher said exactly that.......but it still sucks that i cant even read an exam paper. i particularly concentrated on studying the nile and it was there for me to answer - so i feel like a knob.

isnt it funny how something so stupid can rule out 25 marks in your exam.

i didnt do fantastically well in any of the other three sections - i did ok but not great (typical of exmas though) so do you think i can expect a 60-70? - that wouldnt affect my internal marks all that badly although my rank would drop a place or perhaps two. i dont wnat to fail, i mean, who does?

60-70 isnt all that discouraging - may even act as an impetus for me to do well in the actual hsc...

seeing that i answered the question, do i get any marks at all? or i am just building false hopes...

by the way, if different markers mark different sections how would they know if i picked the wrong one in the actual hsc? am i misinformed.

i now realise that i am a pretty good bullshitter - i did about 1000 words on a topic within a historical period we havent even studied at all. yet i still know that i am an ass.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
i nearly done that but i went to look back and re fixed everything and realise that i had no mistakes being made

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
In modern history exam today 3, (out of 18) didn't read the instructions properly and missed a question worth 10 marks out of a hundred. It happens.

I would be sucking up to the teacher majorly and act really distressed and maybe she'll be all lenient on you. Chin up old chap!

jack white

After Hours
HSC
miss_gtr said:
because its marked internally.. do u reckon your teacher would give u SOME marks for it.. i mean, 0.. thats gonna hurt, i mean its understandable cuz u did the wrong question, but feck.. the ancient papers are really hard to understand, took me a good 20 minutes to thumb through the whole thing and figure out my choices. But yeah, thank god its only the trial.. if u keep ur rank up and u be alrite for the hsc. dont worry mate if ur averaging 92.. im sure ur pretty fricken good at history!
im nothing special just solid i reckon...i dont think i have the motivation in ancient to really apply myself, i am not a "history lover", i love the english courses (*don't shoot!!!!)

my teacher is not that bad - i hope she gives me something - she has never really failed anyone. ("failed" - that word hurts).....if i managed to pull of at least a 65 in the exam that only brings my internal mark down to about an 82 average. i am happy with that seeing that ancient is not my strongest subject by any stretch of the imagination. i guess i'll just have to study my butt off and bring that up a little in the HSC as they all say. oh yeah, and learn to read the papers properly.(DICKHEAD!!!!)

5 minutes reading time wasnt enough - i need half and hour to get it all clear. its funny how one can simply forget to READ THE QUESTION under exam stress.

oh well. i guess you learn from your mistakes. and if i dont learn in the eventual HSC, i will work in a CD shop.

someone please tell me - is your actual hsc mark equal to that of your internal rank? so say i come fourth, do i get the fourth highest mark automatically? or is it the other way around?

jack white

After Hours
HSC
fleepbasding said:
In modern history exam today 3, (out of 18) didn't read the instructions properly and missed a question worth 10 marks out of a hundred. It happens.

I would be sucking up to the teacher majorly and act really distressed and maybe she'll be all lenient on you. Chin up old chap!
i already tried. i went to her straight after the exam and told her what i did wrong. she laughed her head off. she told me she knew somebody would do it, and in the heat of the stressful moment, i guess it was me. ah well, i am slowly starting to recognise how stupid it is of me to keep worrying about it. hey, i know the content, i just cant read. were you one of the kids who misread his modern exam? hope not for your sake.

jack white

After Hours
HSC
Komaticom said:
jack white, if it makes you feel less idiotic, I actually FORGOT I had a Trials exam on one particular day, until I glanced at my timetable 45 minutes into the exam and realised I was an idiot (to put it mildly).
As long as you don't fall into the idiot ditch during the HSC you'll be fine. Don't beat yourself too hard over stuffing up one question (out of many), in one Trial exam (out of many school exams and all the other Trial exams), in one subject (out of 10-12 units), out of 50% of your final mark.

In the greater scope of things, your stuffup doesn't amount to much.
Cheer up, mate.
*shakes hand.

i just felt like a tool when after the exam everyone was like "hey that nile question was soooooo easy, i reckon i got at least a 23/25 for it" and i was thinking "ahhhmmm, what nile question? i thought our religious change question was super tough - i didnt have any study notes on it, we havent even got that far yet. what's the deal?".

i should note, my ancient class is compiled of me and 15 of the most competitive women in australia. *glee burnt within their eyes*

but as Komaticom indicated, this is one exam out of 10 units, and i felt i did quite well in english and i have my three best subjects next week - legal, ee1 and society and culture - so perhaps this ancient blunder was just a learning curve.

X

xeuyrawp

jack white said:
you are reading the post of a dickhead. i stuffed up my trial so bad today. i was sitting on a 92 average but today i just freaked and picked the wrong question.....you know how in the ancient paper you do personality, society, historical period, selected society/period. i, being a dumbass, picked another historical period rather than the society i am actually studying. and what's worse, the society question was on the Nile - an easy one! i did a question on changing religious beliefs - something i have not even studied. whilst i was writing the question i was thinking "fuck this is hard" and "why dont i know this?". idiot.

am i the only person who has ever done this? is this common? will this ruin my internal mark for ancient? and moreover, would i get any marks for my stupid attempt at a question i should not have attempted?

please try and inspire me - i feel like shit - not even vesna's whinging could cheer me up tonight! i have never felt so dumb!
Ok, well don't worry.

My school does Ramesside society and Augustus and the Julio claudians period.

A girl in my year did Augustus - Tiberius society questions, so you're not alone!

Sure, it'll put a small dent in your mark, but don't worry too much, that's only one section of your trial.

Can I ask why you did the wrong question...? Did you do the wrong timeframe of the right society? Like instead of doing New Kingdom society, you did the Middle Kingdom one?

jack white

After Hours
HSC
ok well, i did the personality question, that was great. then i chose athenian society, that was ok. question three was old kingom historical period so i did that. however, i didnt read that you couldnt do another historical period question, we had to do the society question on old kingdom, but i did not find it in the booklet. was it meant to be behind the historical questions? because in the heat of the moment i just didnt look, i just went "yep, thats old kingdom there and there - they are yours, do them and do them well". its confusing just talking about it hey. this was the first proper-hsc-style paper we've ever had so i was understandably naive. can you see where i stuffed up? sheer lack of perceptive reading i think.

put simply, i did two old kingdom historical period questions when i should have done one historical question and one society question. anyone could make that mistake.

Last edited:

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
In the actual exam, i suggest taking in little coloured post-its (i did) and during reading, find ur questions and post-it them so they are easy to find, also look at the structure of some past papers and find out the basic position of ur questions so u know where to look for them,

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
jack_white said:
someone please tell me - is your actual hsc mark equal to that of your internal rank? so say i come fourth, do i get the fourth highest mark automatically? or is it the other way around?
no, thats the old HSC style. the mark you get for your external mark is "owned" by you.
don't worry doll - it's like your teacher said, someone was bound to do it. most places have someone who does it so you're not alone. and, like you said, now you have even more reason to study hard.
post-its was engel's only good suggestion duck.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
jack white said:

ta. ta. *hug*

meanwhile I dont even know which questions I'm supposed to do for my upcoming Trial. Sux really.

Skitzo

HSC
Well, out of all of my subjects, Ancient histroy seemed to be the hardest exam. I don't know why, cause all of my other subjects are supose to be - according to the scale - harder. Oh, well l was first in the class, sitting around a 96 average for Ancient history before the exam .. we'll see if l maintain that, or my average depreciates. I can deal with 90, for an average, but any less and l would completely freak.

Well advice l would offer you, would be to redeem yourself in the HSC exams, TRY your best to get 100/100, as it can be done- the possibilities are endless - study your but off, as l will start to do, hopefully, as l am a fully hardcore procrastinator. But yeah, the future doesn't look that dim, your average is excellent and hopefully you fluked it and ended up getting 80% and above! But nevertheless don't worry if its not so, focus on the latter exams, the integral exams that will determine whether your a band 4,5 or 6. Good luck!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
mmm, i agree --> ancient did seem like the hardest exam in the lead up to the HSC, though looking back i doubt it was actually my hardest. I'm sure just looking at that huge booklet of questions and knowing people do pick the wrong ones by mistake adds to the psychological stress!

Doobie

HSC
I really would't worry about it. Afterall, hey ARE trial exams, and they're just getting you ready. Make sure you don't do it in the HSC though, pretty obvious, but then you could make a thread about yourself being a dickhead. :p

Really, one of my friends was sailing nicely with 22's on every question, until she got a final question back, which was a 9/25. She just, chose the wrong option. We spent tree days prior learning about Augustus consolidating his princeps, and che did Cluadius.

All I can say is, shit happens, don't dwell on it, focus on kicking arse in the HSC :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)