Iemma's dirty mouth (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Premier no. 2 -

Cameras catch Beattie swearing

Cameras catch Beattie swearing
February 12, 2006 - 11:00AM

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has become the second state leader in as many days to be caught up in a swearing gaffe.

Mr Beattie was unaware cameras were rolling when he swore while talking about his deputy Anna Bligh with other premiers at Friday's Council of Australian Governments meeting in Canberra.

Television cameras recorded Mr Beattie telling his NSW counterpart Morris Iemma: "She's deputy premier and treasurer and every other piece of s--- I don't want."

The comments followed Mr Iemma's own slip-up during the same conversation, when he described Sydney's new Cross City Tunnel chief executive as a "f---wit".

Mr Iemma has since apologised for his remark.

But Mr Beattie, who admitted he often swore in private, refused to apologise for his language, saying it was something all Australians did.

However, he refused to repeat the swear word he had used.

"I swear - everybody knows that. But I don't swear publicly," he told journalists at a media conference yesterday.

"I am an Australian like everybody else. I swear. I try not to. I have tried to lift my game."

Mr Beattie said he had telephoned Ms Bligh, who recently was promoted to treasurer on top of her trade, finance and state development portfolios, to explain the comment, which he did not think would damage their working relationship.

"I was talking about how wonderful Anna was and talking about what had happened," Mr Beattie said.

Ms Bligh, who is Mr Beattie's anointed successor, has laughed off the fuss.

"Clearly this was an informal moment and they were chatting, as people do," she told the Sunday Mail.

"They were unaware of this microphone. It (swearing) is just a great Aussie tradition."

- AAP

Beattie swears he holds deputy in highest regard

*shakes head*

The joys of living life in the spotlight... Even the most mundane of words spoken in a thankful manner can give some sort of ammution (however meaningless) to what I believe is another ineffective opposition.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
If swearing makes people take notice of the political process, then it should not be frowned upon. The prudish reactions from many in the weekend papers over the event was almost nauseating.

lol, I wonder how Iemma will explain to his kids.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Paul had a particularly cutting way with his profanities as this crappy site attests to.
Nixon was great too, but I cant find many egs

banco55

HSC
If you get a chance have a listen to the recorded mobile conversation between Kenett and Peacock about howard:

KENNETT:
Hold your flow. I said, "Tomorrow John" and he said, "I know where your sympathies lie", and I said, "I couldn't give a fuck. I have no sympathies any more. You're all a pack of shits and tomorrow I'm going berserk". Well he went off his brain and in the end I said to him, I said, "Howard. You're a cunt. You haven't got my support, you never will have and I'm not going to rubbish you or the party tomorrow but I feel a lot better having told you you're a cunt."

PEACOCK:
Oh shit!

KENNETT:
And the poor little fellow didn't know whether he was Arthur or Martha.

http://www.australianpolitics.com/sounds/1987/carphone.ram

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Fuck you Tony, you are rude as shit to Forestville/Killarney Heights residents and you can't remember his name even though you see him every Sunday at the Catholic Church in Forestville.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
at today's premier's awards, our whole row was sitting there talking about their plans to make a joke at his expense such as asking what he thinks of the cross city tunnel guy, or asking if we were allowed to speak or where there microphones around....

but then, the hon. maurie himself begins his address with "well....at least i know THIS microphone is on"

got quite a laugh and applause....at least he has a sense of humour

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
banco55 said:
If you get a chance have a listen to the recorded mobile conversation between Kenett and Peacock about howard:

KENNETT:
Hold your flow. I said, "Tomorrow John" and he said, "I know where your sympathies lie", and I said, "I couldn't give a fuck. I have no sympathies any more. You're all a pack of shits and tomorrow I'm going berserk". Well he went off his brain and in the end I said to him, I said, "Howard. You're a cunt. You haven't got my support, you never will have and I'm not going to rubbish you or the party tomorrow but I feel a lot better having told you you're a cunt."

PEACOCK:
Oh shit!

KENNETT:
And the poor little fellow didn't know whether he was Arthur or Martha.

http://www.australianpolitics.com/sounds/1987/carphone.ram
Made my day

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
I personally don't think its the fact that Iemma swore. The contraversy has more to do with the fact that he described the Tunnel CEO as that particular derogatory term. What he said may very well be true, however others in similar positions of influence face the same criticism so inevitably Iemma should be no exception; regardless as to its accuracy..

shellsbells15

HSC
There was an article in the paper with reporters interviewing the public and seeing what they thought about it all of them... including the 19 year olds were saying how discusting it was that he said it and how they would never say something like that... can i just say BULLS*** as if. its the funniest thing thats happened to politicians since the punchup in parliament,
shows that hes like the rest of us, good on him.

Collin

HSC
N/A
frog12986 said:
I personally don't think its the fact that Iemma swore. The contraversy has more to do with the fact that he described the Tunnel CEO as that particular derogatory term. What he said may very well be true, however others in similar positions of influence face the same criticism so inevitably Iemma should be no exception; regardless as to its accuracy..
I don't think what the reasons were for it being defined as controversial is really all that relevant. You mentioned a point about it very well being accurate, and that's exactly the main point to get out of this. Many ordinary people frustrated by Cross City don't have the capacity under those stressing circumstances to comprehend the difficulties Iemma faces to try and rectify the situation, so his seemingly inactive stance on the whole debacle portrayed him out to be someone who didn't give that much of a shit. His dirty mouth changed that on Friday.

So this may certainly be a controversy, but a sweet one for Iemma.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's the Labor government's fault that the contract gives so much power to the contractors anyway.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
SashatheMan said:
was this actually on tv live?
Not sure, but a news crew was filming something and Iemma was talking to his mate just off to the side and the microphone picked it up.

Iemma might be swearing about the Cross city tunnel, but he was part of Carr's government when they made the deal in the first place.

aamslfc

HSC
Premier Dilemma said something worthwhile for once...

Pity he wasn't talking about himself though. Would have adequately described him, I should think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)