If English was't compulsory....Who would SERIOUSLY pick it????????? lol (1 Viewer)

Maltesers

HSC
our of all the subjects i do, english stood out because that was the only humanity course standing alongside the math/science courses. i wouldn't have chosen it if i didn't have to. i'm sorry to all those english lovers out there, but english should just pull the trigger on itself.

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
kobz said:
yeh it is a joke to the english language...id rather learn Arabic now, we improve that is....i think all lebos like me and wogs hate HSC english bcuz it isnt their blood language and the HSC course makes them hate it even more with the bullshit they put in it lol
lol i think you hammered the nail on its head, or wateva the expression is.
honestly, am i gonna look at a poster on a wall and analyse it 4 a few minutes admiring it?

Abhorsen

HSC
N/A
I would not do English if it wasn't compulsory. I don't really see its value despite being lectured on it numerous times by teachers and tutors. I simply just do not have any interest in English and feel that you do not need it at all.

They could at least rename it Literature...

fireice

HSC
lol bags not
it actually is quite full of BS
what a dodgy subject just studying texts
as in whos ever going to be talking about journeys
or liek modules after high school?

i mean maths you prob need some in your life
chem u prob need some for like random uni courses
but like at least theyre related to courses....

i dont see how journeys or anyhting as such can help with say writing about university assigments

Tiana Martin

HSC
I say death to english!!! who cares about depth of thinking and critical analysis, im sure we could do a spelling course if we were that bad, and get help if we NEEDED to write later on in life. Its absolutely crap! i would never pick it if i had the choice! lol

mpearse

HSC
english not being required will never happen

but let's venture into the relm of the imagination for a little while....who's up for a journey? (ok sorry bout that!)

I would pick it. mainly because the course would have to change. firstly in sheer volume and also (I think and hope ) that the course would change in terms of standard...that is to say that it would increase in difficulty

sophieadele

HSC
I would definately choose english. It's boring at times and can be hard but I enjoy the challenge. Also, good english is a life skill, we all use it. The point of english is to develop our language skills and to exercise our imaginations to develop a broader understanding of life. Good spelling and grammar will be used throughout your whole life and for these skills to be well-developed is expected in most jobs.

jackal8

HSC
In hindsight it has extended my vocabulary further than it anything else would have otherwise. It made me appreciate the power of the written word and also showed me my own capabilities in making a creative writing piece (which I love doing).

I admit I hate english at times but I believe it has taught more than you guys realise. We have dabbled with some of the great works of literature in history.

I enjoy being able to watch a film now and REALLY understand how theyre doing things, the same with texts and (on occassion) poems.

Speaking of english why haven't i memorised by Modules yet. F-F-F-!!!!

ddn2004

HSC
The texts were interesting. The teacher wasn't.

So yes, if I had another teacher that did the texts I was doing at the moment. Otherwise, no.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Nullz said:
I was doing good in year 10 so yes....But most probably would have dropped it in year 11....
Holy God, I admire your commitment for those subjects.

Histories, senior science - what the hell is that?

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
The point isn't to educate you about journeys. It's to develop transferable skills like critical analysis and depth of thinking, as well as to improve your writing and speaking generally.
That's the thing. You can't expect people to analyse bs and apply those skills you've mentioned along with it. Even if it's not bs, who would seriously believe in those texts being read.
I mean what kind of a genius would truly enjoy Shakespear or some ancient novels such as Oedipus or those stupid videos we had to watch such as Lantana(some stupid Australian film) or some gay book like Going Home(abo racism).

This is the 21st century, we should be exploring more books that all of our youth would enjoy or truly believe in. I can't remember who brought the fact up regarding markers being in their mid 30s. Seriously, most of us would have seen/met/listened to one or two boring English teachers like that sometime before we finish highschool. We would all think those teacher markers are weirdos. So how can we expect them to choose some interesting book for us to study?

So the point I'm making is, if they want those highschool leavers to apply those skills well, at least choose some decent texts for them to look at.

Pezza

HSC
Abhorsen said:
They could at least rename it Literature...
I agree wholeheartedly. My issue with English being compulsory is *why* it is compulsory. My understanding is that it was made compulsory to ensure that every student who completes HSC has a thorough knowledge of the English Language and can speak and write fluently. It was made to count in the calculation of the UAI so that we don't end up with a society of doctors and lawyers from Non-English-Speaking countries that can't speak a word of English. This I think is a valid reason to make English compulsory.

HOWEVER

The English course as it stands has nothing to do with literacy. It is 100% about LITERATURE. The study of Shakespeare (whilst some of the comedies can be quite amusing) is NOT necessary for life in Australia. I have heard that in Victoria they ahve two courses and you can choose. They have a Literacy course, and a Literature course. It is then compulsory to choose one of these subjects.

But, the STUPIDEST thing about the system is that the people who can't speak English, instead of being given low marks for English, get given a seperate subject called ESL which lifts their marks. And what is worse is the fact I, who have spoken English from birth, am NOT allowed to do ESL! The horrible result of this is that people who can't speak English at a level anywhere near as high as myself are getting marks significantly higher than me, simply due to the fact I don't give a rats arse about the imaginative journey.

I think the perfect example of the tiny influence of literacy on your final mark is that in the SC I got a mark of 91 in English. In my HSC Trials I got 48%, a mark only slightly lower than my two year English average. So here I am, a student who is obviously adequately prepared to live in an English speaking country, being held back significantly in my teriary education opportunities because of a compulsory study of irrelevant literature.

I would NOT choose English in its current form if it was not compulsory. (If that wasn't already obvious!)

fleafly

HSC
english is the biggest bullshit subejct.. it does not make any relevance what so ever to our lives. The topics are pointless, like who is going to realistically study in depth a concept such as journeys or change throughout life. Are you going to read a book and at the end of it say that was a good book i enjoyed it or say well from this book i have now learnt that the journey is a powerful thing thats magically and delerious and bla bla bla. That book taught me to think like this because of its in depth exploration of change. Oh i liked that book because of its many techniques.. omg theyre traveling in a car, oh they are walking, they must be going on a journey!! OF COURSE!!! how valuable!!! I am going to go to the cinemas now, not to watch a movie, but to be analytical and pull it to pieces wondering where the journey is. is that what they expect of us. I think that maybe english was just put there so that the crap bullshitters in life would have jobs. have you ever relised that most of the composers we study, id say roughly 95% are dead??? that so they can make up whatever ther fuck they want about their texts adn not be proved wrong. AND EVERYTHING IS A TEXT.... OR A JOURNEY. ENGLISH AS WE STUDY IT IS NOT LOGICAL!!!! IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE!! WHY IS THE JOURNEY SO RELEVANT... half the stuff they "teach" us we can just pull it out of our bums... our teacher never really tought us anything, she just goes "why is it a journey", "because they walk down a road"..."yes". HOW OBVIOUS??
i would definitely not have done it on choice.
but then again it is very easy marks and will up my UAI so i probably would have done it in the end. The journey of the journey is now thankfully completed!!

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
looking back at past forums.....

If English wasn't compulsory, who would SERIOUSLY pick it?
You have to! It's because you can't spell "wasn't" correctly as seen by your thread title.

(Joking! Spelling mistakes happen all the time such as when you're fighting for time in an English exam so I'll forgive you on that)

..rewrite the question...
If English wasn't compulsory, would it even be a course?

Maybe not due to:
-low demand and low interest by students
-heavy criticism by teachers and MPs

ez18

HSC
lol no way would i pick it... wat is the point. as long as we can speak it there is no need to study a thousand texts im never going to have anything to do with in the future...
so yea id pass it up if it wasnt compulsory...
but stupid me for picking advanced ey!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)