If we bludged in Prelim: Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Society and Culture (1 Viewer)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
If we bludged in prelim: physics, chem, economics, S&C. Would it affect the respective HSC course heavily or would it not be a problem to study HSC content without a strong background in prelim content?

I know that prelim content for the most part isn't tested in most subjects for the HSC but what effect might it have if we had bludged prelim?

Thoughts.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Prelim is only used for background knowledge in most subjects, aside from maths, the moles topic in chem and projectiles in physics (if that's in prelim; can't remember).

I bludged prelim and i'm fine.

dux&src

HSC
Prelim is only used for background knowledge in most subjects, aside from maths, the moles topic in chem and projectiles in physics (if that's in prelim; can't remember).

I bludged prelim and i'm fine.
Moles topic in chem great, i didn't really pay much attention aside from n=m/M that's about it :(
Projectiles? I think we are doing it now in module 1: space for HSC ??
hehe u probably bludged a lil only :) did you find yourself working really hard for the HSC in term 1 of the HSC course (term 4 2008).

Who else bludged prelim and is fine?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Moles topic in chem great, i didn't really pay much attention aside from n=m/M that's about it :(
Projectiles? I think we are doing it now in module 1: space for HSC ??
hehe u probably bludged a lil only :) did you find yourself working really hard for the HSC in term 1 of the HSC course (term 4 2008).

Who else bludged prelim and is fine?
Yeah, projectiles is in space. It's the whole Vy = Uy + at and other formulas :)
Hehe, moles is the one topic you should pay attention to in prelim chem ;)

I didn't do much in HSC term 1, except for maths and whatever assignments were due XD

Although you don't have to do hardcore work per se, i suggest you find a good study routine that suits you. You don't want to be working that out just before year 1/2 yearlies ><"

dux&src

HSC
Yeah, projectiles is in space. It's the whole Vy = Uy + at and other formulas :)
Hehe, moles is the one topic you should pay attention to in prelim chem ;)

I didn't do much in HSC term 1, except for maths and whatever assignments were due XD

Although you don't have to do hardcore work per se, i suggest you find a good study routine that suits you. You don't want to be working that out just before year 1/2 yearlies ><"
Vy=Uy +at
Moles hehe i guess i can cover that over the weekends.

yeap, i think i'll be working mostly on maths too this term and assessment tasks :)
The 6 week holidays would be a good opportunity for me to go ahead in maths :) then when i get back to school for 2010 i can focus more and spend time on other subjects after building confidence with maths and familiarity with concepts in maths :)

What do you suggest i should do for advanced english now and in the summer holidays?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
wouldnt going ahead in maths be hard ? i think its more possible in a subject like economics, or maybe in phyiscs (thats if you have good textbook)

jessica.anne

HSC
N/A
Eng Adv: write a Belonging creative. I kept the same one the whole year and worked on it til it was polished. Also, read Hamlet.

Society: you kind of need to know the fundamental concepts and research methodologies from prelim, but you pretty much go over all that again. START YOUR PIP NOW. Please! 10 months may seem like a long time, but it really isn't.

0bs3n3

HSC
Eng Adv: write a Belonging creative. I kept the same one the whole year and worked on it til it was polished. Also, read Hamlet.
Epic idea.

In regards to bludging (afaik):

Eco: Doesn't matter really, though good to have the concepts down pat.
Physics: Again, just the concepts.
Chem: Lol
S&C: No idea

speedofsound

HSC
ehh, pay attention in prelim s&c, many of the concepts you learn in prelim will arise again in HSC.

LordPc

HSC
If we bludged in prelim: physics, chem, economics, S&C. Would it affect the respective HSC course heavily or would it not be a problem to study HSC content without a strong background in prelim content?

I know that prelim content for the most part isn't tested in most subjects for the HSC but what effect might it have if we had bludged prelim?

Thoughts.
chem: as already said, gotta know moles. its kind of hard but a few things in hsc course rely on it. if you dedicate some serious study time to it, you could get it done yourself, or perhaps get a good tutor to explain it to you

economics: you have to know demand and supply. i found that a lot of what was taught in the hsc eco course was almost a direct repeat of the prelim course with a bit added on. so having done well in prelim will make hsc easier, but you can still come back.

if your really serious, you can take a whole weekend and become an expert on moles and D&S and your hsc will be fine

martinc

HSC
I do chemistry, and the teacher suggests all that are struggling must move to senior science. I think this is not due to the knowledge, but the skills you obtain answering chemistry questions is pivotal to the HSC and the HSC school assessments. You can always catch up, but you'd have to work a mighty hard out. Who knows though, you might end up lucky, and have already developed the skills despite bludging. Just see how it goes.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
With maths, see if you can teach yourself and get ahead for the next few topics during the holidays. Other than that, enjoy them :)

Sociasci010

HSC
Society & Culture i wouldnt necessarily have bludged through Year 11. I've just started the HSC Course for S&C and we are already working on developing the basis for our PIP and where we are going with it. You do review a lot of the Prelim content, methodologies etc.

As for the rest of your subs, well i don't do them, but know well enough you should at least have a solid foundation of knowledge of the basics in especially your two sciences.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)