If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

*emi*

HSC
thats interesting, so take both history ext and maths ext 2, so i'll be doing 12 units, and then i can drop whichever i dont enjoy. The good thing about 4u maths is that it is all one subject so in a way it makes it easier rather than doing lots of 2u subjects.

-em xx

H

housemouse

Anyone who is recommended by their teachers to do 4 unit should give it a go because it is worth the amount of you work you put it due its scaling and it is a 2 unit subjects

Raginsheep

HSC
No, the 4u HSC paper is easy compared to the maths in actuarial.

*emi*

HSC
well.. rethinking doing actuarial studies now... especially considering that i cant even pronounce it HAHAHAHA

-em xx

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
do you guys(uni people) know exactly what kind of maths is involved in actuarial ? Is there alot of combinatorics and probability kind of stuff?

hyparzero

BOS Male Prostitute
HSC
STx said:
do you guys(uni people) know exactly what kind of maths is involved in actuarial ? Is there alot of combinatorics and probability kind of stuff?
yes

Raginsheep

HSC
Probability? Yes. Combinatorics, not so much so far.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Raginsheep said:
No, the 4u HSC paper is easy compared to the maths in actuarial.
Maths in actuarial is stats. Stats isn't maths.

Raginsheep

HSC
Its not always a good thing. If you belong to a strong chort, and have a decent ranking, then at least 50% of your final mark will be decent if u don't do so well in the actual HSC.

LottoX said:
Hey Ragin, I just realised you graduated from the same high school I'm going to. what did you end up choosing in uni?
Actu+Maths @ UNSW

P

pLuvia

Raginsheep said:
Its not always a good thing. If you belong to a strong chort, and have a decent ranking, then at least 50% of your final mark will be decent if u don't do so well in the actual HSC.

Actu+Maths @ UNSW
Did you make it into the Co-op scholarship?
Your course is exactly what I want to do ;)

Raginsheep

HSC
No.....i probably didn't do enough extra-curricular stuff to be considered unless those ahead of me experienced numerous "accidents". Besides, Co-op doesn't allow for a double degree only double majors.

Sleeek

HSC
um... at my school we have roughly 120 guys doing 4U. Last year anyone could do it but they changed it just in time for the class of '07. :(

imprsiv

HSC
lol hey is IT a good subject to keep as a bakup if u go crappy in other subjects UAI / scaling wise?

zeek

HSC
No... if you wish to take on 4 unit mathematics you cannot treat it as a back up. If you want to do 4 unit mathematics then you have to do it because you want to do it, not because of the scaling, because by the time you get back ur first assessment and you feel like shit for failing, you'll probably give up.

It is a beautiful subject though and it really does open your mind so i suggest you aim for it and concentrate on it.

mugz

HSC
i'm currently tossing between ext 2 maths or ext 2 english. my maths atm is not too bad; i pick up stuff really quickly, i just forget it easily and so i always need to practise to keep it up =l looking to do optom @unsw or monash. any advice on how good/bad ext2 maths is?

- mugz (=

Raginsheep

HSC
mugz said:
i'm currently tossing between ext 2 maths or ext 2 english. my maths atm is not too bad; i pick up stuff really quickly, i just forget it easily and so i always need to practise to keep it up =l looking to do optom @unsw or monash. any advice on how good/bad ext2 maths is?

- mugz (=
Pick which ever one will get you more marks. If you're going for a high UAI subject like optom, you need all the help you can get. Ext 2 maths might be more useful for all the maths and physics subjects you study at uni though.

mugz

HSC
yeh thats what i think too, but with maths if i workd really hard i'd do alright, but i might end up hating it or finding it too hard. AND i might not even get into optom since you need UMAT from next year onwards >=(

but with english i'd probably enjoy it (and i wouldnt have to do 2U english which i've heard is really bad), except that i might not get the marks because you never know with english like whether or not you're putting in enough time/effort and whether you get the marks.

and i definately cant do both thats nuts!! i admire people who do both its crazy x). i dont have the time management skills to do both.

so basically its either choose something a bit more stable/challenging/practical with less risk, or choose something i'd enjoy more but more risky coz you dont know if you get out what you put in.
aaaaaaah cant decide!

- mugz

p.s. next year i'll be doing 3/4u maths 3/4u eng, physics + chemistry

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)