If you're capable enough of doing advanced would it be wise to try ee1? (1 Viewer)

nkw

HSC
N/A
By capable I mean I got recommended to pick advanced, I'm really not sure how capable I will be once I start year 11 and start assessments. But I have 2 units left and was thinking picking ee1 and pe(only 1 unit subject left that I can do) instead of another 2 unit. What do yous think :)?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
My opinion: only take EE1 if you're planning to take EE2. I found EE1 to be a tremendous amount of work for a 1 unit subject, and although the content was interesting enough, the exams are very mentally and physically demanding, and there's a lot of pressure and stress (2 pieces of writing in an EE1 HSC exam as opposed to 6 pieces of writing in advanced means that stuffing up in one section will cost you a LOT). But EE2 is awesome.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My two cents, seeing as you are interested in EE1, try it in Yr 11 and see how you go. You could always drop it in Yr 12. Though if you'd like, you could do another w unit subject with ee1 the 13th unit to give you a more customisable yr 12. (I did this in yr 11 with EE1 as a thirteenth unit)

I actually found in Yr 12 for a 1 unit subject the workload to not be too bad. Especially as you sit in your module, Yr 11 was more work as we jumped topics way more lol. I spent way, way more time on Adv and EE2. EE1 has nice scaling, and I did not find the work bad for the subject. Having an hour for the creative and an hour for the essay is actually nicer than being a 40 minute jumping rabbit than in Adv.

oyuck

HSC
It really depends on whether you think you'll be interested/like the module & elective which your school picks for Extension 1 English. I personally found it had an ok workload for a 1 unit subject.

HSC
It all depends on you. As my EE1 teacher said, the course isn't for those who are GOOD at English, although it can be a reason why you would choose it ... the course is for those who WANT to do it. If you put in the right amount of work, it will ultimately pay off. Do 13 units in Year 11 and see how you go and then drop if you don't.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Don't make any decisions until you've found out from your teacher what the module will be. If you are a good English student and you like the area (or you could see yourself liking the area), you could give it a shot in Year 11 and drop it if it isn't working. It's a nice subject if you get a good module. The workload is not excessive and the scaling is decent. I found that taking EE1 forced me to improve my essay quality overall, which then also enhanced my Advanced essays, so that was a plus.

nojess

HSC
I don't do extension english but everyone I know who does it says it's easier than advanced. If you enjoy english enough to handle doing more of it, then do it! It's easy to do well in subjects that you actually enjoy and are interested in. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)