Immortality? (1 Viewer)

MJ-47

HSC
As a species we are taught from the word go that nothing lasts forever. with much emphasis being placed on our demise to which is routed in as a certainty. However if one was to look at humanitys development over the past couple hundred years, one would find that life expectency has increased and is continuing to increase at a positive rate.

with this notion of life extension in mind as well as the fact of technological innovation and financial devotion to this subject. I ponder this question and hense would like to open up for opinions of others.

So I ask you BOS, on your opinions on humanities strive for Immortality
(please disregard any grammatical errors)

I would also like to stay within a social/philosophical and scientific standpoint thank you :D

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Interesting point. We may achieve immortality through evolution if we don't destroy ourselves first, that is...

MJ-47

HSC
indeed human evolution would definatly be a natural/interesting way to achieve this goal.

kfnmpah

HSC
Immortality is physcially impossible due to the physiological nature of our bodies and the environment.

If life expectancy increases, this places greater strain on resources which would be a 'limiting factor' on our population and life expectancies.
Also, oxygen and ozone are powerful oxidising agents (obviously) which cause cell damage and aging which is why we age. So unless we become dependant on another gas and oxygen disappears, immortality is impossible.

We can always try, but it'd be a big time waster.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
to be remembered is to become immortal, when our views and ideas stay on long after our death.

:something philosophical and deep:

MJ-47

HSC
and yet we as a society cling to this notion of medically "pushing the envolope" so to speak

there are multi billion dollar industries that base their marketing on making ppl youthfull and trying to forestall death. even though that there are many who accept that death is certain

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Why would you want to be immortal? What possible benefits could it have?
I think humans trying to attain immortality is a means to feed our ego.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't you read Harry Potter? Seeking immortality is dangerous.

fliick

HSC
N/A
I think I'd be able to will all my electrons to stop vibrating before we achieve immortality.

But I'm not saying it's impossible to isolate and perhaps manipulate the characteristic(s) in cells that make them die. It's just slightly less possible a god exists.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Wouldn't you hate it if they miraculously discovered the secret of immortality when you were like... 80 years old?

That would suck.

fliick

HSC
N/A
Wouldn't you hate it if they miraculously discovered the secret of immortality when you were like... 80 years old?

That would suck.
Why does everyone dread being old? (apart from close death and frailty) It is awesome. You get away with anything. I can't wait to say the hip language of 2009 to the 2050 kids and watch them squirm.

But yeah if this happened I would demand them build me a robot body.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Why does everyone dread being old? (apart from close death and frailty) It is awesome. You get away with anything. I can't wait to say the hip language of 2009 to the 2050 kids and watch them squirm.

But yeah if this happened I would demand them build me a robot body.
you must have seen jackass where johnny knoxville is made into an old man who goes shoplifting

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
awkward prepubescent magical wizards who ride broom sticks and touch themselves at night

never i guess

MJ-47

HSC
back to the topic at hand perhaps?

before someone said that immortality might be achievable through technological means common example said was a robot body this in itself is a very interesting concept.

xceL

HSC
Nope. I'd like to see this as an exponential graph.
Where if any of you remember maths (and don't fking correct me..), the line gets closer and closer to the 0 on the X axis but never touches it.

I'd say we've roughly reached our little limit of extending our life span, I mean we've gone from an average age life expectancy of the 30s to the late 70s or early 80s in a reasonably short period of time. Perhaps in the next thousand years we will gain another 10 years MAX, then another million years we'll gain another 3-4 years.

If you see where I'm going with this.. We will always raise the life expectancy but we will only be raising it so high to the point where after a long period of time we will only be increasing it by minutes, not years.

Immortality will NEVER be achieved.

Last edited:

fliick

HSC
N/A
Immortality will NEVER be achieved.
Life isn't like maths. I understand what you're saying, but not everything accommodates to suit the parabola.
Humans don't understand shit all at the moment. Prepare to eat your words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)