Impact of DET laptops (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
laptops were used in my school for year 9 and 10 to play games especially halo altogether lol

now everyone only uses them for school work but there's that odd kid that plays games
Andy?

Even though mine is dying piece by piece, i find it great seeing as it's my only personal computer. I don't have to fight with my family to do hw or assignments etc.

Rawf

HSC
Don't you get to keep these when you finish school?
Yeah you get to keep them but mines a loan so I don't get to. I guess I could ask for my broken laptop back but na lmao.

Ryan_T90

HSC
They've been rubbish and to be honest, if I continued to use the laptop in both Year 11 and 12 my level of motivation would have dropped. There are too many distractions on the laptop which would've caused my studies to break down as was the case in 2010 when I did nothing in class but watch movies and play games, my results reflected my lack of attention.

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah we have MacBooks and I have done absolutely no work on them... I dare say the same for everyone else in my cohort.

Dash8

HSC
They were the most annoying laptops....did annyone else's keep opening blocked web pages randomly? Mine did and I could hardly use it. It was way too restrictive to do work on. I liked using YouTube to get help with maths, but of course that was blocked. So I just got an iPad instead with a keyboard and it's like a million times better.

omgiloverice

HSC
Am I the only one here who actively uses these laptops? *loads gun*
but seriously I find these laptops actually useful for carring my illegal and legal textbooks, esp when I have to walk 3.5 km to school.

choiyokbao

HSC
Most useful for having notes and textbooks on the laptops instead of having to carrying them to school, but that was after aloooooot of games in class during yr10-11

So-joo

HSC
I used them to store most of my notes because I couldn't be bothered buying books and writing on them.
As well as typing out notes in class/procrastination in general

I wish they bought sturdier ones though, I had to keep sending my laptop to the tech people because the edges kept coming off.

HSC
Uni Grad
I had those laptops for a while. so fucking laggy and inefficient. Not worthwhile having them imo.

mickstarify

HSC
I found the stock locked down windows with the completely restrictive firewall to be utterly useless.

However I'm a bit of a computer nerd and about a year ago I decided to reinstall the operating system on here & right now im running linux which is great, as it performs quite nicely and I dont have to worry about blocked/unblocked sites when I'm at home. The linux setup with a bit of config could also connect to nswdet at school & I found openoffice to be an alright substitute for microsoft office, and i actually used it more when it was linux than windows while at school because I didnt have to worry about the shitty artificial limitations

So yeah once these babies get unlocked for you guys I'm sure they will become more useful

ismeta

HSC
I admittedly got quite distracted while using them in year 11, but in year 12 I focused on school more, thankfully. After they were unlocked I dual-booted it with Ubuntu and is all good, faster. Although I played with Windows a bit, is a fair bit faster than it was before.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Why can't you just 'unlock' it yourself?

simplyinsanity

HSC
Nowadays, i just use mine to store music. For the purpose of actually studying, I think the laptops were a very poorly thought out idea.

WeaselPowa

HSC
How would he find out?
I'm not completely sure exactly how, but apparently since we are all linked as a school and he's an administrator, he can see if we are no longer a 'user' of the system.

HSC
I believe the ATAR average will drop because I don't believe computers are a good learning device as the information doesn't sink in (And you can play games xD) and only should be used for researching things in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)