Important Chemistry Questions! Answer Them As Soon As You See Them! (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
sry man i was just in a rotten mood earlier cause i was staring at my textbook for ages n couldnt figure it out.
Stop pressuring yourself. You have a great deal of time to figure everything out slowly...one by one.

At your current pace, you WILL BURN OUT and I am being deadly serious.

It's great that you ask questions around and get help from here but don't over do it. I am speaking out of my own experience for your own interest and benefit.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Stop pressuring yourself. You have a great deal of time to figure everything out slowly...one by one.

It's great that you ask questions around and get help from here but don't over do it. I am speaking out of my own experience for your own interest and benefit.
yeh thats what i was getting at

its good to see that u are aiming high, but look at me for example

i went into yr 11 having done no work on the syllabus. i learnt everything as i went along, and look where that took me...

HSC
lyounamu said:

hey since my school seems to make too easy tests n marks too leniently, should i get a tutor? i know i've asked this before but now since u know how bad my school is i think ur advice would be more accurate.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
hey since my school seems to make too easy tests n marks too leniently, should i get a tutor? i know i've asked this before but now since u know how bad my school is i think ur advice would be more accurate.
Would you like to tell me how tutors can fix that issue then?

If they make easy exams, just get the heaps of past papers through purchase and do them all. I don't see how tutors can just fix your problem.

Tutors are there to meet your own needs. If your needs are something that they cannot have control over, well...tough luck.

And also look at how much tutoring costs and everything. Getting tutoring for one or two will be fine I guess in terms of financial burden but for every subject is just too much.

And going through without tutoring is really an important experience too. That way, you self-teach yourself which is an essential skill for further studies at uni in years to come. You HAVE to know how to teach yourself. You HAVE to be independent. You HAVE to take your own responsibility. Tutoring WILL NOT fix all your problems. Tutoring WILL NOT necessarily guarantee anything.

You have to get over that notion of spoon-feeding. BUT that does NOT mean in anyway that tutoring = spoon feeding. I am just directing my post to your repetive posts in regards to tutoring.

HSC
lyounamu said:
Would you like to tell me how tutors can fix that issue then?

If they make easy exams, just get the heaps of past papers through purchase and do them all. I don't see how tutors can just fix your problem.

Tutors are there to meet your own needs. If your needs are something that they cannot have control over, well...tough luck.

And also look at how much tutoring costs and everything. Getting tutoring for one or two will be fine I guess in terms of financial burden but for every subject is just too much.

And going through without tutoring is really an important experience too. That way, you self-teach yourself which is an essential skill for further studies at uni in years to come. You HAVE to know how to teach yourself. You HAVE to be independent. You HAVE to take your own responsibility. Tutoring WILL NOT fix all your problems. Tutoring WILL NOT necessarily guarantee anything.

You have to get over that notion of spoon-feeding. BUT that does NOT mean in anyway that tutoring = spoon feeding. I am just directing my post to your repetive posts in regards to tutoring.
i was just thinking that a tutor could set harder tests for me or something.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
digimonstudent said:
i was just thinking that a tutor could set harder tests for me or something.
well, they can, if you ask them. But they prob wouldn't. They would just give you some past papers which you can easily acquire from other places.

Seriously, self-study is truly awesome. I am not a big fan of tutoring even though I did it myself long time ago (not now). All you gotta do is to learn stuff yourself and slowly go through stuff according to logic and common sense. In that process, some memorisation is required and some effort to understand is crucial.

Then get heaps of past papers or books with questions and go for them.

If you cannot handle, THEN get a tutor. I think that's pretty fair, right?

dp624

HSC
For me I think tutoring is only good if you accelerate every subject by at least a year. You can then be on top of your HSC work BEFORE it begins =P

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I think we were taught how to balance equations in Year 8 or 9 Science, and I loved it (still my favourite part of the Chemistry course), although I like anything to do with calculations.

So is this stuff taught in Year 8 or 9, or did my school teach us this even though it wasn't in the (Science) syllabus? And I wasn't in any accelerated class.

zzzz12345

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
while i like how u go beyond the syllabus, sometimes its best just to stick within it, esp when explaining stuff

lol remember what they were teaching us in year 7, that light is a wave and electrons are partciles that orbit the nucleus?

then in yr 12 physics u learn that it all changes, but then how else do they teach you the basics?

there's a time for everything, but yeh it is good (and ive done this personally) to look beyond the syllabus if interested
I've often found that going beyond the syllabus allows for a better understanding of what the syllabus actually requires. Today's Chem syllabus is probably more content than skills and sometimes knowing something extra really allows you to master what you're going to be asked and allow yourself to be prepared for any harder examples that arise. We learnt about subshells (as a side track; they seem to occur often in my class) in Year 11 and I felt that such an extension was not beyond my realm of understanding and allowed me to grasp the assessable concepts more easily. Plus I've always found Chem interesting and going beyond is fun; pure and simple.

To the OP: In regards to getting a tutor you really need to ask yourself if it would be worth it. Doing exercises in books such as Chem Contexts, Jacaranda and other good textbooks (which can be borrowed from libraries or possibly assessed from school) can generally allow for a pretty firm foundation in what you need to know. Some of the questions in Chem Contexts (well the older edition; I haven't looked at the brand new one) are pretty challenging and doing them in order allows you to focus and improve what you need to know in managable steps. You should get a tutor if you need someone to explain things to you if you're not understanding them in class or if you can't understand things the way your teacher teaches them. Tutoring is by no means a guarantee for excellent marks so consider other options before getting a tutor because tuition can become quite expensive and time consuming.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
dp624 said:
I think the concepts and all that are fine. it's just that physics has extremely vague theory with crap textbooks. So you never know what you actually need. But for chem, it's a lot better

And bio is simply concept-less imo, just pure theory and annoying ness. IMO
The reason some HSC Physics theories are so vague is because the actual theory behind them is far more complicated and mathematical to be understood by a typical HSC student.
Uni Physics is much more mathematically concentrated because you need them to derive rationalise a lot of these results (those of which are "assumed" in the HSC). Some of the classical theories in Physics use vectors and calculus like those you encounter in Extension 2 Maths.

HSC Chemistry also relies on forcing you to just accept the theory without much discussion on where it came from (though not to the same extent as Physics). You have to remember the equations rather than the mechanism behind them, not to mention the ion tests!
Uni Chemistry focuses on HOW reactions occur, which equips you with the skill of predicting products with any given set of reactants by understanding the actual mechanism (electron movements) and thermodynamics (energy levels) of the reaction.

HSC Biology is a very rote-learning type of course. Unfortunately, unless you have some good understanding of biochemistry it's just another course where you have to accept the theory without much derivation.
I'm not sure how uni Biology goes as I have not done it before, but I'm pretty sure that mathematical models are also applied to develop the theory in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)