In a bit of a pickle.... (1 Viewer)

AliDee

HSC
I want to drop a subject as I have 13 units atm but the problem is.. If I drop a category A subject then I am no longer going to be able to go for an ATAR due to having a category B subject which means I will only have 9 units. Here is where the problem lies though, my category B subject is the best that I am doing in (coming 1st) and hence why I don't want to drop it.

What can I do? Is it worth getting an ATAR or not?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought you're allowed to do only one category B subject (construction, hospitality etc.). Keep thirteen units as Category B subjects scale abysmally unless it's Accounting.

kyokaku92

HSC
Do you want to go to uni? If so, then you have no choice but to stick with them but you shouldn't have got urself into this situation. There's only 9 months of HSC left so make the most of it

AliDee

HSC
I am doing one category B subject but because it doesn't count towards ATAR, I am technically only doing 11 units (ATAR) and if I was to drop the subject I wanted, I would only be doing 9 units which doesn't allow me to go for an ATAR.

arjungamer123

HSC
I though you're allowed to include one Cat. B suybject for you ATAR.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I am doing one category B subject but because it doesn't count towards ATAR, I am technically only doing 11 units (ATAR) and if I was to drop the subject I wanted, I would only be doing 9 units which doesn't allow me to go for an ATAR.
It can count towards your ATAR.

Board of Studies said:
Q What are the UAI requirements?
A School principals have received interim advice from the Universities Admissions Centre about UAI eligibility requirements and calculation of the UAI.
To be eligible for a UAI a student must complete at least ten units of Board Developed Courses including at least two units of English. The Board Developed Courses must include at least three courses of two units or greater, and at least four subjects.
The UAI will be based on an aggregate of scaled marks in ten units of Board Developed Courses comprising:

• the best two units of English; and
  • the best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included.

Klutsov

HSC
If you want to drop, do it.

since you are first in the cat b subject, and if you go well, scaling wont affect you

AliDee

HSC
Do you know if it counts 100% because it is the only B category subject that I am doing and not too sure how to go about dropping a subject cause I want an ATAR.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Do you know if it counts 100% because it is the only B category subject that I am doing and not too sure how to go about dropping a subject cause I want an ATAR.
Yes, but only if you elect to sit the optional HSC exam for the category B subject. This is a tad risky though as your mark is based 100% on your exam.

arjungamer123

HSC
Yes, but only if you elect to sit the optional HSC exam for the category B subject. This is a tad risky though as your mark is based 100% on your exam.
Nah it's not. It's different for every course, but it's 50% like everything else.

That one Cat. B subject can count towards your ATAR. Don't drop it.

AliDee

HSC
Been thinking it all through.. Figured I'd put the hard yards in and not drop anything just to get an ATAR.

Dark Invoker

HSC
Ask your careers teacher or whoever if the Catagory B subject counts towards your ATAR. I was doing Accounting (which counted towards my ATAR) but dropped it because I didn't like it. However not all Catagory B subjects count towards your ATAR...it's subject specific so you need to find out before you make a decision.

If it does count, drop whichever subject you please and you'll be left with 11 units.
If it doesn't count and you intent to get an ATAR, either drop the Catagory B subject or drop nothing.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Nah it's not. It's different for every course, but it's 50% like everything else.

That one Cat. B subject can count towards your ATAR. Don't drop it.
Are you sure? For things like hospitality and BSA it's 100% from my memory :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)