Independent vs. CSSA (1 Viewer)

clry

HSC
Which one do you guys think is best in terms of preparing students for the HSC/being an accurate representation of the real test? I know this differs per subject, and people's perception on each is different - just curious on what the general view is :)

zxreth

HSC
independent - much better in terms of prep especially with physics/chem

enoilgam

HSC
CSSA is more like the HSC in terms of the style of questions but CSSA papers are usually a bit easier then the actual HSC. The independant papers are usually harder than the HSC but its different in terms of the style of questions, as the independant paper contains more specific and detailed questions whist the HSC questions tends to be a bit more broad and general. So overall I'd say CSSA.

zxreth

HSC
CSSA is more like the HSC in terms of the style of questions but CSSA papers are usually a bit easier then the actual HSC. The independant papers are usually harder than the HSC but its different in terms of the style of questions, as the independant paper contains more specific and detailed questions whist the HSC questions tends to be a bit more broad and general. So overall I'd say CSSA.
but OP wants to know which one "best prepares" people, if independent asks more specific/detailed questions and you study for exams for those type of questions then wouldn't you be better off in the long haul? i.e. the hsc?

enoilgam

HSC
but OP wants to know which one "best prepares" people, if independent asks more specific/detailed questions and you study for exams for those type of questions then wouldn't you be better off in the long haul? i.e. the hsc?
In my opinion, its better to use a past paper which more accurately mirrors the HSC. The aim of doing past papers is to familiarise yourself with the features and style of a test, in addition to testing your knowledge. Ofr this purpose I think CSSA is better. However, in saying that, independant papers are still good to use for HSC practice.

yew

HSC
independent is good prep for your physics and chem, for ancient i prefer cssa

clry

HSC
So generally: The CSSA is simpler and broader, and mirrors the HSC exam more, whereas the Independent tends to have specifics which require more detail than what would be required in the HSC?

zxreth

HSC
So generally: The CSSA is simpler and broader, and mirrors the HSC exam more, whereas the Independent tends to have specifics which require more detail than what would be required in the HSC?
put simply, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)