Indigenous Suicide (1 Viewer)

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
They just can't handle modern society. My mum attempted to train an aboriginal lady in doing simple office work but she just wasn't capable of it. I honestly think that their brains are not as evolved as other races of people.

I
I think this is the type of thinking that contributes to these kinds of problems. How can they feel equal or capable they grow up with the perception that their brains are not as evolved.

I know plenty of indigenous people who are much smarter than the average person by the way.

Annihilist

HSC
I think this is the type of thinking that contributes to these kinds of problems. How can they feel equal or capable they grow up with the perception that their brains are not as evolved.

I know plenty of indigenous people who are much smarter than the average person by the way.
It's not about intelligence. It's about what sort of society they are accustomed to. You can't expect people from Aboriginal communities to integrate with our society because they are not used to our way of life. It's like trying to live in fucking Sweden without learning a word in Swedish. It's got nothing to do with your intelligence, and everything to do with your education in the society.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There are a few that are successful. Those few have probably never lived in remote Australia (and if they did, only until they secured a scholarship to a private boarding school).

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
It's not about intelligence. It's about what sort of society they are accustomed to. You can't expect people from Aboriginal communities to integrate with our society because they are not used to our way of life. It's like trying to live in fucking Sweden without learning a word in Swedish. It's got nothing to do with your intelligence, and everything to do with your education in the society.
I completely agree, nuture over nature. If children grow up in environments where no one values education, where there is inadaquate access to health services, where they are expected to fail, where their home lives are disjointed and messy of course you will end up in this mess. It's a vicous cycle and I'm not going to pretend to know how to fix it. At what age does someone stop being a victim of circumstance and become expected to 'help themselves' and go get a job and get over the vast inequalities they have lived with all their lives? How do you get a job when you did not attend school? I know that there is a lot of bitterness that Aboriginals get jobs and scholarships - but those programs exist for a very good reason!! It disgusts me that government housing gets trashed and money is spend of alcohol over food or children get bashed - obviously there is a level of responsibility and accountability that they should be held to. However I think they are incredibly misunderstood and need a helping hand. Society should be judged by how they treat their most vulnerable members!!!

na110793

HSC
It would be harder than for most people I imagine. If I was hiring people it is unlikely i would hire someone who is Indigenous unless they were exceptional and tertiary educated OR we needed to hire someone Indigenous to meet a work force target (i.e. in government).

This is the problem. The so called 'stolen generation' did not go far enough and simialr polices should be applied today. i am not saying that children should be taken from their parents although that more support should be provided to the families and the families forced to leave woop-woop rural Australia where services and jobs are non existent.

Welfare destruction such as this must be made a serious crime. You can't cut off these peoples benefits as then they would starve/break and enter/rob, although you can send them to jail.

Are you, by any chance, right-wing? Serious question....

Annihilist

HSC
No. Wrong-wing.

Seriously though, right-wing doesn't mean anything in terms of inherent qualities. Solo has some good points. Labelling things as "right-wing' and "left-wing" is an incredibly closed-minded way of analysing political ideas and opinions.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say I am 'right wing' or 'left wing'. The left side of politics is correct on some issues while the right side of politics is correct on some issues. Both have failings. I am probably slightly more socially inclined to the left and economically inclined to the right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)