Influences by Students In My Class (1 Viewer)

suwag

HSC
Hello Bored of Studies,

I am starting the preliminary HSC course next term, which would be around October. My subjects are Extension 1 Maths (Planning to pick up 4u in year 12), 2 Unit Maths, Advanced English, Chemistry, Physics and PDHPE. I'm most worried about PDHPE as I study at a non-selective high school and about a quarter to half of the PDHPE class are dropkicks who have chosen PDHPE not for the interest of studying Health but for the 'bludge' and connotations that PDHPE is an easy subject. I'm worried that these people who will distract the class and bring the exam average down will affect my studying mentality. What should i do? Should I keep PDHPE and study by myself, or should I drop PDHPE for another subject in which students are willing to learn and positively influence my study mentality. How have you guys managed to avoid distractions in your class?

suwag

HSC
Why should I drop PDHPE, is it because 4u maths would be a time consuming subject? Im thinking of keeping all these subjects with the addition of 4U, the more units of study i do, the better ATAR i would get as they count my best 10 units.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Average rank in 4u or top 1st PDHPE, it's the only way you can save yourself from being dragged down

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
If you're committed enough and ignore all the other people, you should be fine if you want to keep PDHPE. TBH they'll only affect your mentality if you let it to.

suwag

HSC
Would swapping PDH for history be a good idea, it can help me with my essay writing and English skills - my English is not too great.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Its a good practice for life.

You should be able to ignore the people then they will not bring you down.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Manage distractions by competing against yourself. Choose the subject you think you will excel in, not necessarily the subject that is the highest scaling.

apletikosa

HSC
If your pe class is drop kick like mine, then you have to stay away from the drop kicks, so sit closer to the front. Either way the teachers still going to teach the class. Its easier to be ranked 1st in that type of class so just do pe. If you're getting good marks and coming 1st, you won't be affected. It's a good course tbh, first topics a little boring but the second topic is great. And don't believe teachers when they say its got no prac (it actually does).

Machiavelli1

HSC
OMG YOU HAVE THE SAME SUBJECTS AS ME :D :D :D

Sorry haha. No one has the same subjects as me :( because apparently it goes against the rules to do sciences and then pdhpe :p
But at the end of year 11 I was making the exact same decision– whether to keep pd or to pick up 4u maths, and in the end I chose pdhpe. I'd say definitely consider some of these things:

- The variations in difficulty between the subjects: its pretty obvious that 4u will be much much harder, and subsequently also much more time consuming. Honestly if you're even vaguely decent at being a professional bullshitter (my personal preferred approach to the subject) i.e. you can write somewhat decently and think fast after combining in knowledge of what you already know, then pdhpe is like free marks to your atar. I've gone through half yearlies and trials without memorising much except for a few statistics and I think I've done pretty well. If you keep pdhpe you will need to refine your writing skills and make notes and keep on top of doing papers/questions (Outcomes Textbook <3 ), then you can be pretty damn good at it. For maths, its obviously going to take time to grasp the concepts and practice (because there's no use just knowing how to do maths without practicing), and more time will need to be devoted. Definitely consider the rest of your workload (seeing as you have phys and chem, workload isn't much at all) when deciding. There's easily enough time to devote to another subject

- Scaling/Aligning/whateveritisLOL: Depends on what atar you're aiming for, but if its 99+ I'd say go for 4u if you can. The thing is, getting below 90 is pdhpe will bring you down, and unless you get a top mark (95+), gg atar. Right now at times I seriously regret not doing 4u because I know I must get 97+ in pdhpe (almost a state rank lol) to achieve my atar goal of 99.5... so this does come into play

- Peers: I don't think this should be a worry. I know pdhpe is a bludgey subject but from my experience, most people who realised that it did take some degree of effort dropped it by the end of year 11. Don't worry about the 'top selective school' thing, I do attend a selective school and I assure you that whilst this is a bit of a benefit for subjects like maths phys and chem, I don't think it makes much of a difference for pd. An example is that the average for our pdhpe trial was only 82% (believe me, they didn't mark hard) and half yearly only 84%, with a really vast range from the 60s to 97 so that clearly shows school makes no impact. Do it if you like it lol

- interest: personally, maths is a chore and pdhpe is interesting, so I chose it. plus, I really want to do medicine and I thought it would be more human-based than biology. Likewise, you should probably consider what you're more interested in, and if you think you can sustain motivation in each subject

Basically, pick what you think will be the best for you. Don't worry about your class, as long as you know that you're someone who's pretty oblivious to what others do and are self-motivated. On the other hand, if you know that majority of your motivation comes from extrinsic factors, you might be better off doing a subject that your cohort will be better as, so that you can sustain competition. Though pdhpe is not a hard subject (year 11 kinda was though, so much content), I agree its easy to lose focus when others aren't motivated and so in order to not be negatively affected by selecting the subject, really do aim for 1st/2nd place throughout the year (if you do pick it). And the atar thing is pretty important too, just depends on your goals lol :) Good luck!
+1 Do it because you want to do it don't let others' actions decide your choices :). Also if you're going to do 4U then stick to 10-12 units as 4U will take a lot of your time, and sometimes concepts are harder to grasp thus requiring more practice.

suwag

HSC
Thanks guys, I'm accelerated in extension maths so I think doing 4u would be better, I have more time to spend on it and less subjects to worry about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)