Information on Accommodation (1 Viewer)

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
Iron woman said:
This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to live in Bruce on just the government payments??? (i.e. assuming one cant find a job immediatley)
I only ask because im a crappy cook!
The people that i know that are living on govt benefits alone are coping. However, they did come with a small amount of savings to cover the other expenses that inevitably come with uni. Also, finding a job in Canberra is relatively easy if you really try hard enough to get one. That being said, one of my friends who is living at bruce and survives off govt benefits alone is leaving coz he cant stand the food and on the whole it would be more affordable for him to stay at bng.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
imsooverskool said:
The people that i know that are living on govt benefits alone are coping. However, they did come with a small amount of savings to cover the other expenses that inevitably come with uni. Also, finding a job in Canberra is relatively easy if you really try hard enough to get one. That being said, one of my friends who is living at bruce and survives off govt benefits alone is leaving coz he cant stand the food and on the whole it would be more affordable for him to stay at bng.

Splendid!
On a different note, does any one know the deal with the food? i.e. is it in a big hall with everyone, or can you cart it to your room or something I wonder?

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
melbournian said:
whats wrong with a sports culture....

i wasn't into sports too much at school.......but at college, i seem to be watching everything (its easy when you don't have many hours :D)
nothing is wrong with it, i love sports... its just that at certain colleges that is the only focus and that sux for people who enjoy other stuff!

In regard to the food situation iron, you generally eat in a huge dinig hall and it is one of the best social times over the day. However, there cant be much said for mass catering as it all tastes pretty bad

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Fenner, Johns or Bruce... *scratches*

Ursies charges for internet access....BAH :rolleyes:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Fenner, Johns or Bruce... *scratches*

Ursies charges for internet access....BAH :rolleyes:
They all charge for internet access...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I've applied for ANU and have applied for the halls (1st Fenner, 2nd B&G, 3rd Bruce) however when I checked the status of my application online at the top it said Bruce.
I was wondering whether this means that I've missed out on Fenner and B&G, does anyone know?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ziff said:
They all charge for internet access...
You're kidding :( If its anything like the 7c a meg at Ursies i might as well do all my work at an internet cafe :rolleyes:.

I thought they just used ANU's network? Or do you have to pay for that :-/

Ziff

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
You're kidding :( If its anything like the 7c a meg at Ursies i might as well do all my work at an internet cafe :rolleyes:.

I thought they just used ANU's network? Or do you have to pay for that :-/
You get a quota. If you live on campus you can tap into ANU's quota, otherwise you have to use the pre-paid system. The prices are coming down though.

B & G = 7c/mb
Fenner = 15c/mb (I think, might have come down)
Johns = 4c/mb (at least it's rumoured they're heading that way)
Bruce = 12c/mb

Last edited:

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Yeah, Johns are 4c I think. I think that it's the same at all colleges - they don't charge anything for ANU sites visited.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
You're poor? I think im going to be subsisting on hand outs, and working a long week to get cash :(

btw is it just me, or do all the boarding houses look like bunkers ;)
Yeah, I'll be living on government handouts for a while too, until I can find a job or two down there.

mm87511

HSC
just a stupid question, if I applied for accomdation now, what happens if i decide not to go after UAI is released, will i be able to cancel it??

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
mm87511 said:
just a stupid question, if I applied for accomdation now, what happens if i decide not to go after UAI is released, will i be able to cancel it??

You're actually obligated to take the accomodation no matter what. Acceptance of the application is an automatic contract, viable for 3 years. Were you not to provide rent, then legal action would be inevitable with considerable fines and a possible jail sentence.
Hope this helps. :)

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Just a question...
All the current Bruceies...who are you? I am living at Bruce (or will be come Feburary) at the moment and am just wondering who you guys are and if i know you
And second question, do you think you get more intellignet replies to posts on BoS or Dragonlair

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
hahahah... they are more moronic on dragonlair, and they are more sex crazed here. take your pick ...

I used to live at Bruce for a semester.

someone asked about jobs..
since ive been here, Ive had two jobs... both crappy franchise jobs... but hey, they are out there.... jobs are easy enough to get, you just have to get off your arse and actually do stuff about it if you reallywant it.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I know this may seem like a stupid question, but in regards to bedding etc do you need to bring your own:

Pillows, mattresses, blankets etc?

Rooms have chairs and other stuff right?

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
yeah... all you need is stuff to go on the bed.. but even then I think you can get stuff from the college.. but it would be pretty basic. Just to confirm.. yes there is a bed in all rooms, yes they have a mattress on them.

Yeah, chairs, trash can, some are lucky enough to have an extra book shelf, and umm... all have desk lamps and stuff.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Bolkonski said:
hahahah... they are more moronic on dragonlair, and they are more sex crazed here. take your pick ...

I used to live at Bruce for a semester.

someone asked about jobs..
since ive been here, Ive had two jobs... both crappy franchise jobs... but hey, they are out there.... jobs are easy enough to get, you just have to get off your arse and actually do stuff about it if you reallywant it.
eh my source sucked, I asked him about it and he goes 'well there are shops there, I'm sure they have ppl in them' -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)