Information on Accommodation (2 Viewers)

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Crikket said:
is it hard to find a job in canberra? or will we be depending on government support? :)
Oh, depending on government support, of course! It's Canberra, the home of bureaucratic government offices! *huggles Centrelink*

But in all seriousness, there's quite a bit of retail work around, so I understand it's *reasonably* easy to find a job...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
alphatango said:
Oh, depending on government support, of course! It's Canberra, the home of bureaucratic government offices! *huggles Centrelink*

But in all seriousness, there's quite a bit of retail work around, so I understand it's *reasonably* easy to find a job...
er, I realise this sounds a little stupid, but they don't take in your race when you apply for jobs and that do you? I'm asking this because in whoop whoop it's much easier to work at azn takeaways and resturants etc than anywhere else...but the pay is shit and you have to compete with non azns to get the jobs.

bruce is the cheapest catered hall...hmm.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
depends where you want to work.

go apply at a sushi bar and find out...

specialjenny

HSC
I am thinking about changing from UNSW to ANU (since I hate UNSW) and thinking about staying at Ursula's (I am going to get bad homesicks) ...just wondering...how are the bathrooms and toilets shared? Like approximately between how many people?

Regards.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Its easy.

I lined up one before I arrived and started before I started uni.

I have since changed jobs because I was offered a position at another company. I also started a second job early in first semester.

I have been offered but declined several other jobs because of distance and time issues.

Ellyandri

HSC
specialjenny said:
I am thinking about changing from UNSW to ANU (since I hate UNSW) and thinking about staying at Ursula's (I am going to get bad homesicks) ...just wondering...how are the bathrooms and toilets shared? Like approximately between how many people?

Regards.
I lived at Ursies for a couple of years. Each floor of each block has male & female bathrooms, w/ two toilets and two showers each. With 24 students per floor, you end up sharing shower and toilet with 5-6 other people, but it's cleaned every weekday so it's not too bad. :) I got pretty homesick in my first year away from home, but I found the Ursies environment to be warm and welcoming. :) Open day for ANU should be late August I think, you should go check out all the residences before you make a decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

e11e

HSC
Does one automatically get an allowance from the government if staying in one of the halls, or is it Youth Allowance where you have to work for it beforehand?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ugh, my long reply was wiped. Bugger.

e11e said:
Does one automatically get an allowance from the government if staying in one of the halls
No you don't. You CAN apply for a bursary either from the hall you're staying at or the university. Bursaries from the halls are usually in the area of $500 and the bursaries offered by the university are (or so I've heard) a little more generous. To receive a bursary you have to demonstrate that you're going through some sort of financial hardship and you must provide a reason as to why you hadn't planned for said hardship to occur.

or is it Youth Allowance where you have to work for it beforehand?
I have to say this to everyone who asks about youth allowance... Working is only one way in which you can apply for youth allowance. The forms etc are all available on the Centrelink website and I advise that you look into them.

There are a few other ways in which people (who aren't in unique situations) can get youth allowance, particularly under the "unreasonable to live at home" clause (btw, wanting to go to university in a different state is not sufficient).

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'm not sure if this has already been answered but:

if i apply for accomodation and is successful but if i don't get into the course, what would happen to my application?

and on the accomodation booklet there's a registration fee of about $180, when do you have to pay that? If you apply for more than 1 hall, would you have to pay the registration fee of all of the halls?

thanks guys.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
On another note, what's the difference between:

Bruce Hall - Packard Wing Double
Bruce Hall - Packard Wing Single
Bruce Hall - single room catered

as in, prices/catering options/etc etc? because i'm doing the accomodation applications atm and i really don't know how to distinguish them...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Jago said:
On another note, what's the difference between:

Bruce Hall - Packard Wing Double
Bruce Hall - Packard Wing Single
Bruce Hall - single room catered

as in, prices/catering options/etc etc? because i'm doing the accomodation applications atm and i really don't know how to distinguish them...
Packard wings are larger rooms with kitchens and toilets in the new wing and are self catered. They are also only open to students who've been at Bruce Hall for 3 years or more, so don't bother applying :). Just apply for the single room.

if i apply for accomodation and is successful but if i don't get into the course, what would happen to my application?
You ring up and cancel? I only had to pay my deposit after offers were released.

and on the accomodation booklet there's a registration fee of about $180, when do you have to pay that? If you apply for more than 1 hall, would you have to pay the registration fee of all of the halls?
Only the hall that you get in to. Also, I payed my deposit after offers were released, less than a week after.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Thanks neo, appreciate it.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
neo_o said:
Packard wings are larger rooms with kitchens and toilets in the new wing and are self catered. They are also only open to students who've been at Bruce Hall for 3 years or more, so don't bother applying :). Just apply for the single room.

You ring up and cancel? I only had to pay my deposit after offers were released.

Only the hall that you get in to. Also, I payed my deposit after offers were released, less than a week after.
ah wonderful I applied for the packard wing thing. -_________-

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
You can change your application, details should have been there when you applied/you can do it by signing in and checking the status - i can't remember exactly.

foxster

HSC
Deferring and Accom?

Hey everyone,

Having just done HSC, with post-uai uni pref changes ... thinking of anu
just wondering, if i am deferring for a year (2006), do i need to apply for accomodation NOW, or later next year?

cheers,
will

Dedalia

HSC
N/A
looking for accomodation

Hello,
I applied for accomodation, actually I had some problems with creditcard payments so I couldn't apply for accomodation before and now.......everything appears fully booked!!!!!!!!!there are some places at Burgmann but nothing certain, the application dituation is: Academic offer accepted
where do you suggest me to look for accomodation???where should I rent a room?(this was supposed to be my first experience in campus.... :-( !!)

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
I don't know what everyone is talking about when they say they're ready to move in. According to the ANU"s Student Residence website:

http://accom.anu.edu.au/Accomm/Halls/Halls.php#accepted said:
When will I know if I am accepted ?

* New domestic students will be sent an offer of accommodation after they have received an academic offer to study at ANU, this will be from mid-January 2006 onwards
* New international students will be sent an offer of accommodation after they have accepted their academic offer.

This means that most international students will need to pay their course fee deposit before they can confirm their accommodation.
Accommodation offers will begin from 1 November and will be sent via email to students as they accept their academic offers.

It is very important for international students to accept their academic offers early. This usually involves paying your course fee deposit. The earlier you accept your academic offer, the earlier we can confirm your accommodation. Students who accept their academic offer late may not be guaranteed accommodation.
I suppose when it says "Academic offer accepted" it must mean they're considering your UAI and details against others.

Callistogenic

HSC
Don't forget the 1st year accommodation promise.

And comparing UAI's against you to others? Maybe for a uni place itself, but not for accommodation. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)