Insane work load (1 Viewer)

layzeehbum

HSC
yea i reckon there's a lot of shit workload 2 do for business =_=
but i guess its simply bcoz im not used 2 studying or reading so much in my entire life. and heck.. i dont summarise and i dun usually do that many exercises...

when i think about it... year 12 was such a bludge...

patty4848

HSC
You are a fucking moron if you think that. Law students have about 8 or 9 contact hours a week and have probably a few thousand words of reading.

Engineering students have 30+ contact hours a week and have to do 3+ hours extra for each of those hours just to keep your head above the water. Keep telling yourself that reading words and learning a bit of latin is harder than statics, or mathematics, or electical engineering, advanced calculus advanced multivariate calculus, etc.

EDIT: yeah and you have open fucking book exams. Are you joking, 08er?
You can keep arguing about engineering having a bigger workload, but you aren't talking to an 08er its just a mates account i was bored so i browsed. Firstly i graduated from an engineering/science double degree about 5 years ago or so and then undertook a graduate law degree and am now doing my masters, so no offence but i have a better idea than you do if you want to compare engineering and law. I'm not saying that engineering is easy because that would make me a 'fucking moron' and yes advanced subjects as well as electromagnetics and statics and the like are hard, and even though you have 15 hours or so extra of classes each week, law still has a bigger workload, especially in subjects like property law and constitutional law (sooo bad). these were worse than any other subjects ive done in engineering and science. And on the whole, i spent more time doing work in my law degree than i did in engineering and science.

By the way, don't think that open book exams make law a piss easy degree... if anything they make it harder. Considering the time you have in each exam and what needs to be done, you REALLY need to know your stuff, there's no time to sift through textbooks and the majority of students don't finish their exams.

Also i find it very ironic that you dismiss what i say about engineering so easily yet you think that law is nothing more than 'reading words and learning a bit of latin'...

And more than likely you will come back to this and post up something in reply to again try and prove that your degree is 'the' hardest or something similar or try and come back with something else to defend engineering... i look forward to again proving you wrong

zer.0.ne

HSC
yea i reckon there's a lot of shit workload 2 do for business =_=
but i guess its simply bcoz im not used 2 studying or reading so much in my entire life. and heck.. i dont summarise and i dun usually do that many exercises...

when i think about it... year 12 was such a bludge...
haha lol yeah yr 12 was a bludge... i hate the readings for MPO.. they make yr12 seem like a walk in the park (cuz i didn't have to read much :).. hence a band 4 in english).. BUT really as long as you can cram a shitload before exams you should be fine... stop stressing out guys its only the first week :/

shakky15

HSC
Is it just me or does it seem as if Business and Law students are expected to read way too much? Since our first lectures this week (for first years), all we've been given are assessment tasks and pages and pages of the textbook that are supposed to be read, understood, summarised and remembered, in addition to the fact that most of us are doing four subjects.

...the amount of work is terrifyingly scary.

What about the rest of you guys?
dude im working full time and will be doing 3 subjects this semester (technically a full time load). Stop crying. You were obviously one of those people who did well in the HSC because your teacher gave you everything on a platter and you just memorised/rote learnt. A lot of those who did very well tend to crash and burn in uni i've been told.

nimrod_dookie

Tryhard Geek
HSC
You can keep arguing about engineering having a bigger workload, but you aren't talking to an 08er its just a mates account i was bored so i browsed. Firstly i graduated from an engineering/science double degree about 5 years ago or so and then undertook a graduate law degree and am now doing my masters, so no offence but i have a better idea than you do if you want to compare engineering and law. I'm not saying that engineering is easy because that would make me a 'fucking moron' and yes advanced subjects as well as electromagnetics and statics and the like are hard, and even though you have 15 hours or so extra of classes each week, law still has a bigger workload, especially in subjects like property law and constitutional law (sooo bad). these were worse than any other subjects ive done in engineering and science. And on the whole, i spent more time doing work in my law degree than i did in engineering and science.

By the way, don't think that open book exams make law a piss easy degree... if anything they make it harder. Considering the time you have in each exam and what needs to be done, you REALLY need to know your stuff, there's no time to sift through textbooks and the majority of students don't finish their exams.

Also i find it very ironic that you dismiss what i say about engineering so easily yet you think that law is nothing more than 'reading words and learning a bit of latin'...

And more than likely you will come back to this and post up something in reply to again try and prove that your degree is 'the' hardest or something similar or try and come back with something else to defend engineering... i look forward to again proving you wrong
Law may have a bigger workload but although law content is difficult, it is probably easier to grasp for the average student than any engineering subject.

KGB!

HSC
dude im working full time and will be doing 3 subjects this semester (technically a full time load). Stop crying. You were obviously one of those people who did well in the HSC because your teacher gave you everything on a platter and you just memorised/rote learnt. A lot of those who did very well tend to crash and burn in uni i've been told.

It's your decision that you decided to work during uni so it doesn't affect anything related to this topic. Lots of people are also doing 4 subjects this semester. And yes, I did do well in my HSC and got 98% for my UAI but I find you insulting when you said that I was provided everything for by my teacher and that I memorised my way through the exams. What a big lie. I studied according to the syllabus and didn't memorise any essays so stop assuming that just because you might've done that, everyone else does. Since you stated that you got quite well for your UAI in your signature, does that mean what you said about people doing well in the HSC will "tend to crash and burn in uni" apply to you as well?

KGB!

HSC
Law may have a bigger workload but although law content is difficult, it is probably easier to grasp for the average student than any engineering subject.
There is a reason why Law degrees require such as high UAI. Although you may argue with the 'demand' for the course, it's not just that. Law is an extremely mentally challenging degree and if you don't have the capacity to get into it in the first place (through hard work throughout your entire schooling life), you'll die with the workload required.

Affinity

HSC
Nothing in the first 2 years is that difficult really. If you think they are you are not spending enough time.

spence

HSC
haha lol yeah yr 12 was a bludge... i hate the readings for MPO.. they make yr12 seem like a walk in the park (cuz i didn't have to read much :).. hence a band 4 in english).. BUT really as long as you can cram a shitload before exams you should be fine... stop stressing out guys its only the first week :/
Dude MPO is the biggest joke of a subject, I don't think anyone did any reading after the first week. And most people finished the final exam in about 15 minutes

shakky15

HSC
It's your decision that you decided to work during uni so it doesn't affect anything related to this topic. Lots of people are also doing 4 subjects this semester. And yes, I did do well in my HSC and got 98% for my UAI but I find you insulting when you said that I was provided everything for by my teacher and that I memorised my way through the exams. What a big lie. I studied according to the syllabus and didn't memorise any essays so stop assuming that just because you might've done that, everyone else does. Since you stated that you got quite well for your UAI in your signature, does that mean what you said about people doing well in the HSC will "tend to crash and burn in uni" apply to you as well?
and it was your decision to do 4 subjects... and I didnt memorise anything either. also, in no way did i say that all people who get high UAIs rote learn. But those who find the workload in uni very heavy often do so because they think they have to commit it all to memory (as in the HSC). Hence it is these people who tend to 'crash and burn'.

and the UAI is not a percentage. you do not get 98% as a UAI.

KGB!

HSC
and it was your decision to do 4 subjects... and I didnt memorise anything either. also, in no way did i say that all people who get high UAIs rote learn. But those who find the workload in uni very heavy often do so because they think they have to commit it all to memory (as in the HSC). Hence it is these people who tend to 'crash and burn'.

and the UAI is not a percentage. you do not get 98% as a UAI.
Whatever. I don't now why you're practically dissing people who think that uni is alot of work. It's quite common for people who've just come out from high school so I don't know what land you're in. It's something called finding yourself in a different environment and doing work that's completely different from what you're used to. "Crashing and burning" happens to people who don't give a crap about their education and don't study at all and then find themselves cramming right before exams. Do you seriously think that people who worry about their work and are hoping to be able to cope with it all because it's a different experience fit the category of people like that? I don't think so.

Are you delirious or something? Our mark for our UAI is a percentage.

shakky15

HSC
Whatever. I don't now why you're practically dissing people who think that uni is alot of work. It's quite common for people who've just come out from high school so I don't know what land you're in. It's something called finding yourself in a different environment and doing work that's completely different from what you're used to. "Crashing and burning" happens to people who don't give a crap about their education and don't study at all and then find themselves cramming right before exams. Do you seriously think that people who worry about their work and are hoping to be able to cope with it all because it's a different experience fit the category of people like that? I don't think so.

Are you delirious or something? Our mark for our UAI is a percentage.
im sure its very normal for people to find the workload much increased and a bit to get used to.. but your OP made it sound like you were ready to cave in or something.

your definition of crashing and burning does not have to be the same as mine. I think those that get into the first week and struggle to the point of staying up late at night and failing anyway is crashing and burning.

and the UAI is not a percentage! I thought we had enough talks/seminars/surfing BoS to understand that at least!

KGB!

HSC
im sure its very normal for people to find the workload much increased and a bit to get used to.. but your OP made it sound like you were ready to cave in or something.

your definition of crashing and burning does not have to be the same as mine. I think those that get into the first week and struggle to the point of staying up late at night and failing anyway is crashing and burning.

and the UAI is not a percentage! I thought we had enough talks/seminars/surfing BoS to understand that at least!

Oh well, at least it shows that we're dedicated with our studies LOL. I see your point but let's not make this into an argument. Agree?

By the way, which degree are you doing?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
There is a reason why Law degrees require such as high UAI. Although you may argue with the 'demand' for the course, it's not just that. Law is an extremely mentally challenging degree and if you don't have the capacity to get into it in the first place (through hard work throughout your entire schooling life), you'll die with the workload required.
It may not be just demand, but demand does play a big part. If all of a sudden the legal industry was not such an illustrious field, that sucker would drop way down the charts. Law = money, people like money. Look at business. I studied one week out of fourteen for, say, accounting, never turned up to the tutorials or lectures and still got a credit, yet the UAI requirement was something like 90 when I enroled. I spent a good few hours a week trying to perfect my Information Systems bullshit and received a very similar mark to that of accounting (IT has/had an 80 UAI requirement). I'm not saying law is not hard, just that UAI is never a good indicator of difficulty.

shakky15

HSC
Oh well, at least it shows that we're dedicated with our studies LOL. I see your point but let's not make this into an argument. Agree?

By the way, which degree are you doing?
lol ok .. it was a very trivial matter anyway..

um im doing the bcomm/ eco at UNSW part time (hence why im doing 3 subjects instead of two.. dont want to spend 8 years at uni). so you're doing law then?

KGB!

HSC
lol ok .. it was a very trivial matter anyway..

um im doing the bcomm/ eco at UNSW part time (hence why im doing 3 subjects instead of two.. dont want to spend 8 years at uni). so you're doing law then?
Oh okay. How's commerce faring? I heard that it involves alot of Maths (quantitative or qualititative subjects) that's why I didn't want to do choose it.

Yeah, I'm doing Bachelor of Business and Law at UTS. I might transfer to USYD or UNSW because I have to admit that the reputation of UTS isn't as good as other unis around the area.

KGB!

HSC
It may not be just demand, but demand does play a big part. If all of a sudden the legal industry was not such an illustrious field, that sucker would drop way down the charts. Law = money, people like money. Look at business. I studied one week out of fourteen for, say, accounting, never turned up to the tutorials or lectures and still got a credit, yet the UAI requirement was something like 90 when I enroled. I spent a good few hours a week trying to perfect my Information Systems bullshit and received a very similar mark to that of accounting (IT has/had an 80 UAI requirement). I'm not saying law is not hard, just that UAI is never a good indicator of difficulty.

Wow, you must be a natural accounting student to get credit without attending alot of classes.

shakky15

HSC
Oh okay. How's commerce faring? I heard that it involves alot of Maths (quantitative or qualititative subjects) that's why I didn't want to do choose it.

Yeah, I'm doing Bachelor of Business and Law at UTS. I might transfer to USYD or UNSW because I have to admit that the reputation of UTS isn't as good as other unis around the area.
well actually i start on 9th march. UNSW seems to have retarded semesters.

yes theres two whole subjects called 'quantitative methods' (1A and 1B)... ill do one in each semester this year. but commerce and business are essentially the same, exxcept that at UTS its a little less maths-oriented.

HSC
Dude MPO is the biggest joke of a subject, I don't think anyone did any reading after the first week. And most people finished the final exam in about 15 minutes
bullshit, its a joke of a subject, but don't exaggerate that most people finished it in 15.
@OP- if you are finding first year hard when it isn't news flash maybe uni isn't right for you and you will seriously have to look at changing the way you are studying.

Business subjects are easy, and give you more than adequate opp to study and work, if you are only doing the former and still struggling then you must be really dopey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)