International Movies! (1 Viewer)

missylicious

HSC
Hi
does anyone here watches SBS? i reckon they have pretty good international mvies. I really liked what they put on air last night- The Stratosphere Girl. There was also another movie i liked that they put on air last year -this French movie called 'La Petite Emily' .
Im a fan of international movies and i watch sbs when i know there's going to be a good show on because i check the tv guide when i'm not busy with school work or anything.
So is there anyone out there who is into international movies?
And also, does anyone know if there's an International Film Festival this year in Sydney?? If you know or have any information, then please reply!
thanks!

BronwynKate

HSC
Yes, I'm into international movies.

I mostly like Asian movies.

My favourite international movie is Mostly Martha and my second favourite is In the Kitchen because the two guys are silent.

The Asian movies I like best are Hero, Shaolin Soccer and anything with Jackie Chan in it. Also I very much enjoy Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring if you want to have a spiritual experience and/or understand Buddhism.

I like To Be and To Have and Amelie. French films could fill this post all on their own. Also Fucking Amal would be really good and Run Lola Run and its sequel.

We're still having our International Film Festival in Melbourne. That's in July if you'd like to catch it. Hope they still have the International Film Festival in Sydney.

Can't think of any Italian movies I like and don't know why, not even spaghetti Westerns.

rajsc

HSC
Try watching bollywood flicks..great entertainment packages!

missylicious

HSC
i havent seen much bollywood films. ive seen them randomly on sbs. always colourful and cheerful atmospheres especially when they're dancing.
i think there's an indian cinema near where i live but im not sure if they have sutitles lol

BronwynKate

HSC
The last Bollywood film I saw was Bride and Prejudice.

Loved all the singing and dancing!

And I also enjoyed Monsoon Wedding.

I want to expand my Bollywood repertoire.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Too many movies, but Shinku is one for those into psychological thrillers.

Synopsis
With a title that means "deep red" in Japanese, Shinku is certainly an appropriate name for the movie considering its bloody subject matter. Boasting a screenplay by the late novelist Nozawa Hisashi (who committed suicide in 2004) and based on his identically titled book, Shinku is a compelling drama that focuses on the strange relationship that develops between two people who find their lives irrevocably changed as a result of a horrible multiple homicide. The first person traumatized is the lone survivor of the terrible family bloodbath, a girl who grows up to be a pretty college student played by Uchiyama Rina (from the TV series "Musashi"). The second person affected by this heinous crime is the daughter of the murderer, a young girl who ends up becoming a tattooed bartender played by Mizukawa Asami (from Go and 69). A full decade after the crime, the killer is finally going to be executed, and the surviving member of the massacre decides to reach out and befriend the murderer's daughter. A tentative, odd sort of friendship blossoms between these two people, both of whom seem to have little in common personally, and every reason in the world for not wanting to meet. Yet they do, but not without reservations. And really, is this friendship quite what it seems? Or is it all part of some twisted plan for vengeance? As the dramatic tone of the film soon transforms from social drama into pure terror and blood-splattering horror, audiences are taken on a whirlwind ride to a dark destination they could not have expected. With a unbelievable climax, Shinku is a terrifying, atmospheric, and eerily realistic tale of psychological terror that will leave audiences breathless!

h2cker

HSC
International film helps us understand another culture and also different techniques of flim. Generic Hollywood films are alright, but it is those gems from other places around the world that really capture and hold real emotions, stories, film techniques and others. International film breaks boundaries and can leave us speechless with the content and quality that we don't ever get to see on T.V but SBS.

Some of my favourite International movies are:

Summer,spring,fall,winter,summer
Hero
Oldboy
Nine Souls
Nobody knows
Fallen Angels
Infernal Affairs
Monsieur Ibraham
Amelie

Independent film also shown on SBS gives us films that have broken conventions in Hollywood Story telling and technique, and gives a more intelligent and somewhat sophisticated sense to film. You can really feel ingrossed in such films as Requiem for a dream. Australian Films that have come out have also been good but have been lacked in box office sales such as : Wolf Creek, Look Both Ways, Summersault.

Hollywood films that have also broken conventions because of the power the directors have had over those conventions are:

American History X
Fight Club
Magnolia
The Big Lebowski (kind of inde)
Fargo
Tarintino's Films
A clockwork orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
Leon the professional
Broken Flowers
Coffee and Cigarettes
Lolita

I recommend that anyone who truly enjoys film watch these titles, as they truly capture the meaning of what a film can really hold. SBS shows many of these films, and if you are lucky enough to have World movies, all of these would be shown. If not go hunting for them! I’ve always found a flim that I have been loathing about by looking online and checking all shops around the city, and other places to find the flim I want.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
rofl,

Kubrik, Hitchcock, Tarantino

h2cker

HSC
Yep the directors that challaned holywood style and brought a new way to direct film. Oh, and how could i forget Donnie Darko. A flim with multiple interpretations that challanged your thinking. Anyone looking forward to Richard Kellys new film Southlans Tales? I heard that the actor choice was poor.

HSC
N/A
I love SBS movies!! Well, most of them anyway. Especially the German ones. Anyone seen Mutanten? Thats a really weird but sweet movie. Makes me want to travel. I miss Germany/Austria so much right now, just thinking about it.

p.s. LOL Bride and Prejudice is so funny!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
In general, good movies can be filmed anywhere, but having to read subtitles can detract from the visual experience of cinema.

Having said that, foreign languages (such as French) in films can sound quite exotic. :)

missylicious

HSC
yeh NOW I WANT WORLD MOVIES!! boohoo!
well my sis researched and found out that u would have to get optus or foxtel in order to get the world movies channel! damn it! the standard package is still expensive tho!
does anyone know where i can rent out international movies with english subtitles?
yeh sbs has kool movies.. sometimes i watch them randomly without knowing its title.
those movies that you guys suggested sound very interesting!i should check em out after exams aye?? especially that movie Shinku? is that based on a tru story?
some asian movies are pretty good too. especially korean dramas .. makes me cry lol .. in particular the series, 'what happened in bali'/'hearts in bali'/'bali loves story' its funny how many ways one title gets translated in diffrent languages. u can get heaps of korean movies in the city.. in chinatown and market city.
heyy ! who watches that series 'dangerous liasons' on sbs? it used to be on but not anymore =/
its similar to cruel intentions where cruel seduction involves innocent victims.
lol my frend watches sbs as well and she tells me of the sex scenes in french movies where women dont shave their armpits =/ gross!

HSC
N/A
i should check em out after exams aye??
Lolz, I used to watch SBS movies all through HSC to avoid work/procrastinate. It was quite stress relieving really, especially at the stage where I gave up cramming completely and decided SBS was more educational.

missylicious

HSC
LOL
damn it ive just got 2 exams to go >.< yes tv is very distracting especially wen u've got exams >.<
ahahah now im lookin foward to be watching more sbs
sbs film marathon *woot!*
does anyone watches old movies?the classic hollywood ones?i like 'my fair lady' and 'a ladies man' .
where can i get old movies from?

HSC
N/A
I've seen My Fair Lady :D I'm sure u can buy the DVDs in the classics section of most shops.

missylicious

HSC
the dont have much at video rental places do they? even if they do .. are they DVDs or only videos?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
whoever said mostly martha is a good film is right, that was a heaps cool movie. i actually really like foreign films, not just because they offer a good procrastination excuse either... stratasphere girl from last night was good too...there was this korean one on a little while ago about a woman who has an affair with a teenage boy...the good lawyers wife or something. theres heaps...this may sound weird but i have to say theres a couple of languages i hate watching movies in...im a very aural sort of person and the sounds of some languages just grate on my nerves, like chinese and italian, ack! but that doesnt stop me from watching them though :D i just turn down the sound. oh and did anyone see that movie, it was on a while ago now, but it was a japanese one about these two wannabe actresses who are living together or staying together or something and they end up killing each other. it was soo good and i know its horrible but the very end is so funny, just the way they kill each other, so simple, yet throughout the movie theyd been electrocuting each other and stuff.

missylicious

HSC
lmao i didnt watch 'japanese one about these two wannabe actresses who are living together or staying together or something and they end up killing each other' that movie (sorry i duno how to use quote =S) but my frend told me abt it .. lol she sed the ending was lame or something .. i wouldnt know i havent seen it, but i would love to.
ever tried requesting the television station to repeat a cerain show? i havent but i would wanna ..just that i dont have the guts lol .. incase they reject the request and makes me feel rejected myself lol ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)