Internships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

havy

HSC
Re: internships 07

stazi said:
ive heard the hours early on suck, with heaps of people staying until 7 or so. a guy i know doing a cadetship at e&y comes in at 7am and leaves at around 6 :s
The hours EARLY on suck? do u assume that it'll get better? I doubt it though.
plus staying until 7 is actually considered quite early during "busy" seasons...unless you are refering to 9am - 7am lol.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

i think at the beginning there's so much competition for promotion that it becomes a dedication game.well it's 7pm. I guess I've just heard that marketing is usually a max of 8am-6pm during busy periods, that anything more scares me. Most people work about 45-50 hour weeks at P&G from what i understand :)

Rorix

HSC

In answer to various things spread out over the last 2 pages:

Dunno big 4 banks IB comp. I know ANZ recruited, don't know about other retail banks.

Macquarie took 40 odd interns for investment banking, 100 bankwide.

And yep stas, the banking hours suck. Plus marketing has way more cute girls;). Even if a banking girl was cute, how could she keep it up working those hours.

beverly

HSC
N/A

havy said:
well i'm doing accounting + finance, I've done most of my accounting subjects, but still need to do quite a few more finance units....I'm sorta in a dilemma of whether move into finance or stay in accounting, it has been very difficult for me to choose at this stage, especially after I got the auditing internship.
that's what happens to everyone who does acct/fins :p
I don't have that problem and glad I never will. Like stas I'm more than happy to stay in accounting or marketing and let you guys have your big pay packets earlier on (I sure like my flexibility and lifestyle and would happily earn less). Granted, I happen to also have no interest in finance/IB.

Which company are you doing your acct/audit internship?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh this is so exciting. instead of studying im reading all those cool (and not so cool) things about singapore.

every day since friday, I have been getting these fantastic rushes of euphoria and excitement. I really wanted this job for months. I would literally have a mock interview in my head every couple of nights for it, and would fantasise about working for P&G. It's so amazing that I'm actually working for them. I'm still in partial disbelief.

Rorix

HSC

Big 4 accounting doesn't really give you a lot of flexibility and lifestyle benefits considering the pay packet. Accountants are underpaid imo

stazi

Nightman
HSC

but there are so many accountants needed that it'd be unrealistic to have them all paid more than other professions.

havy

HSC

beverly said:
Which company are you doing your acct/audit internship?
@KPMG and I really like the place. Its just that I also hav interests in finance.
But once again, I wont even know wats accounting/auditing like until I finish this internship, so maybe I should concentrate on one thing at a time.

ps. exams real soon:( so I should study 1st....and do exams, then do the internship, and then figure out wats best for me base on the experiences.

Last edited:

havy

HSC

stazi said:
but there are so many accountants needed that it'd be unrealistic to have them all paid more than other professions.
Yeah its true that accountants are everywhere...but the big 4 suppose to be the best choice (at least one of the best choices) for accounting grads imo...accounting @ IB or @ large corporations can also be good.
I'm just guessing here....big 4 gives the best training, while IB accounting department provides best salary and corporations (eg. accounting @ P&G ;) ) has the most flexible hours.

pete_mate

HSC

i had a kpmg offer, really liked the place, but pwc won me over in the end.

havy, big 4 is the right way to go, it's really nice to have on your resume, ask any guy on the street whether they've heard of a big 4 company and they usually have.

Not so with most smaller internal positions.

And you should all be thinking in 3 year intervals aswell, so "what will this job look like to my future employers" i think.

Because if you go to commercial from big 4, youd end up on a much higher salalry than just straight into it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

marketing also has those slaving away periods. It's not uncommon to have a few weeks per year where an assistant brand manager would work 12 hour days

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

Just thought I'd put in my two cents in terms of big4 hours etc..

Yes its true, at times you may find yourself working long hours, Eg. until 7pm, 8pm (especially for Financial Services clients).. there's really no limit from what i've seen..

Whats important to remember is that such periods are generally very short-lived. 40% of big4 revenue come from the July->August busy season, so you can imagine how hectic things get.

So whilst people do slave away at times, you'll have many other days with simply nothing to do but catch up on the news and drink tea.

Also from my experience so far, longer hours are recognised through great appraisals and other perks that i wont go into... the support is also there in terms of free taxi rides home and dinner.

I think big4 is a flexible background... there's never a shortage of job advertisements looking for candidates who have completed or nearly completed their CA... its also quite astonishing at the sheer number of job ads that specifically mention wanting someone from a large 'chartered' background.

Naturally said I'm quite bias... I've past my probation however and havent lost heart :p

If there's one thing you can count on getting from the big4 its an enormous insight through both your clients and through the knowledge and experience of so many others working alongside you, many of whom are pursuing seemingly different paths.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

OMG! Got the letter of offer today with all the details. I'm drooling over the amount of pay and benefits. Commbank was 37500p.a.. This is way way better.

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A

stazi said:
OMG! Got the letter of offer today with all the details. I'm drooling over the amount of pay and benefits. Commbank was 37500p.a.. This is way way better.
Wow, I didn't think anyone paid below 40k anymore.

havy

HSC

stazi said:
37.5 k for cba?! thats way too low for a bank...unless they hav 50%+ bonus or something. I would expect they pay at least 45k to start up with.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

37.5k does seem quite low. Hopefully your rejection will lead them to become more competitive ;-)

stazi

Nightman
HSC

havy said:
37.5 k for cba?! thats way too low for a bank...unless they hav 50%+ bonus or something. I would expect they pay at least 45k to start up with.
lol, that's for an internship though and not grad. weren't we discussing that 37,500 isn't too bad :p

edit: as in $781.25/week for an 8-week duration

Last edited:

havy

HSC

I thought ppl get paid at higher casual rate for internships...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

what do you mean? didn't you say that you're also earning a similar amount?

havy

HSC

sorry maybe i'm confused....since the big 4 accounting firms pays at casual rate which is either same or slightly higher than full time rate. I think most big 4s would offer $25+ per hr (super inclusive).

i just remembered u said cba offers 2 wks paid break, so maybe bank interns get paid less than full time employees?

it doesn't really matter in the end, since u'll be going to singapore on the p&g cruise :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)