Internships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: internships 07

They called me Tuesday, and have not called to reschedule, or anything. To let them know, simply call Maneesha and say that you will regretably have to decline. They won't hold it against you, as it's better than you declining at the next stage (top-15), where they'll actually remember your name (remember that the graduate recruitment officer usually changes yearly).

May I ask who you've taken an offer for? Is this also for marketing?

beverly

HSC
N/A

If only the whole process hadn't been pushed back so late, it's a great opportunity to get a taste of the marketing side (my other offer isn't in marketing) but other offers had to be solidly confirmed way before I even got a call and I got called Friday...

Come to think of it, I don't know whether it's for CMK or Brand/Marketing

beverly

HSC
N/A

On a random note, do you know what the P&G vac experience is like (from what you've heard etc.)? How much would you really get to do is what I wonder.

I ask cos' you seem quite firmly set on P&G when so far Ive not met anyone who's seemed to take P&G seriously

stazi

Nightman
HSC

beverly said:
On a random note, do you know what the P&G vac experience is like (from what you've heard etc.)? How much would you really get to do is what I wonder.

I ask cos' you seem quite firmly set on P&G when so far Ive not met anyone who's seemed to take P&G seriously
I haven't heard what an intern would do specifically, but I'm guessing that it would be similar to the graduate assistant brand manager role.

Do you know that you have to go to Singapore for the marketing internship (and grad position too)

I think getting the internship is more important for me now, than ever before. Basically i want a 'taste test' of P&G culture. If I like it, then I'll stay with them for grad, but otherwise I'll go for Unilever, as I really want to work there, after I attended a special event and spoke to the CEO, and others. Unilever seems to be more my type of culture, but I want ot be sure before committing.

beverly

HSC
N/A

Given you're set on Marketing I can see how worthwhile it can be. Particularly since I dont really see brand manageing, even CMK as a really book smart thing, I think it's going to be all about the other experiences/skills you bring which I spose can be best displayed over vac work.

Where is the info about going to Singapore? Is it the whole/part of the employment period? It'd be really great to go to Singapore actually, incidentally I have to be in Sydney for commitments on specific days so I probably wouldnt be able to go anyway..

Actually Maneesha keeps mentioning things that makes me think she thinks I'm from Melb..even though I explicitly speak of Sydney in my data sheet

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I found out that marketing is based in Singapore during our internship fair. You go for all of Jan and February. Graduate work for marketing is also entirely in Singapore.

CMK is an option of sydney or singapore, though, I think.

What kind of things does she mention? I would think she's only responsible for syd recruitment; melbourne has a separate office

beverly

HSC
N/A

hmm this is what it says on the application though

About P&G Summer Internship Program - Marketing

We offer 8 weeks paid internship based in Sydney or Singapore. As a paid intern, you will receive an allowance, staff shop allowance and superannuation. Should you need to relocate for the internship, airfare and accommodation will also be provided

Who has specified Singapore to you?

There is no vac program in Melbourne from what I understand, Ive met interstate people at P&G things (they had to fly in for PST/interviews at their expense) and it's Sydney or nothing.

In terms of what she's said, whenever she's contacted me I've had to reclarify that I'm in Sydney (eg. she'll say Melbourne or something) and like she once said "See you in Sydney"

beverly

HSC
N/A

Did you also get a generic rejection letter from P&G shortly after sending in the data sheet which upon receiving the call from HR, it seemed she'd never ever sent it and it was a mistake since they hadnt called even the successful people yet?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

beverly said:
hmm this is what it says on the application though

About P&G Summer Internship Program - Marketing

We offer 8 weeks paid internship based in Sydney or Singapore. As a paid intern, you will receive an allowance, staff shop allowance and superannuation. Should you need to relocate for the internship, airfare and accommodation will also be provided

Who has specified Singapore to you?

There is no vac program in Melbourne from what I understand, Ive met interstate people at P&G things (they had to fly in for PST/interviews at their expense) and it's Sydney or nothing.

In terms of what she's said, whenever she's contacted me I've had to reclarify that I'm in Sydney (eg. she'll say Melbourne or something) and like she once said "See you in Sydney"
That's their generic australian internship/grad program ad (the first part). The head recruitment manager indicated that I would need to go to singapore.

beverly said:
Did you also get a generic rejection letter from P&G shortly after sending in the data sheet which upon receiving the call from HR, it seemed she'd never ever sent it and it was a mistake since they hadnt called even the successful people yet?
nope, didn't get that letter. I got a congratulations email a day after completing my PST, though. I got so excited. Then i read the contents, and it said 'congratulations, pelase come in for the PST'. I then had to wait a whole week. Grrr.

How long did you have to wait after sitting your PST? Apparently last year, they got emails on the day.

beverly

HSC
N/A

Ahh generic descriptions are soo annoying! Did you ask specifically and find the singapore stuff out or they straight out told you? It seems weird to me that they wouldnt let us know..I wish I had known

I'm glad Im getting this info from you, I wouldnt have known otherwise. I may chat to Maneesha about it..

I really wish the timing with all the offers wasnt so bad, everytime I think about the sort of work that the position could entail it makes me quite excited (though, getting through the stages is quite a hurdle to begin with and the odds are against most of us) and I wish it were even possible to keep P&G a consideration where at the moment I've already signed a contract locking me in...

I got an email a few hours after my PST requesting that I complete the data sheet then a day after the data sheet deadline I got the 'fake' rejection letter...

stazi

Nightman
HSC

yeah, although maybe the recruitment chick is mistaken. although maneesha seems more out of the loop: i asked if CMK was in Singapore, and she wasn't able to give me a straight answer.

I found out that grad is in singapore from a friend, and also was told that the internship was in singapore, too, at the internship fair

beverly

HSC
N/A

I'm really keen to get 100% confirmation on this. I trust you were told that at the fair, but what I dont trust is the people giving the information, they may have wanted to make it sound more exciting?
I agree she doesn't really seem to be in the loop..who could we confirm with?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

I was told this at the fair, and then when I spoke to the head recruitment lady again on the phone later, she asked again "so you're fine with moving to Singapore for the internship?'

beverly

HSC
N/A

So I called them and cancelled my interview

I'd be interested to hear about your interview and what eventuates stazi! Good luck for Monday!

danielvh

HSC

Hey guys

I'm doing first year economics/commerce. Applied for work experience at Marsden Jacob Associates during the summer and had an interview on Thursday. It went well and they said that it's likely that I'll get it.

They're an economics consultancy. I'd be doing stuff like helping out with research and report writing. As well as going to business meetings when they bid for contracts with big companies and government agencies etc. I think it'll be a really good experience and hopefully I'll learn a lot about economics and business in general.

havy

HSC

What kind of activities are involved with economics consulting? is it like financial consulting or more like management/IT consulting?

Last edited:

havy

HSC

oh yeah its monday now...good luck with ur P&G interview TODAY, staz

stazi

Nightman
HSC

thanks man :) i should go sleep soon. have to wake up at 6:30 :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)