Internships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Re: internships 07

thanks man. i have to do more than my best though. i have to put in an almost superhuman effort. i'm strangely confident and calm, now, though. More excited than nervous, in that I'm very happy that I even made it to the top 8 out of 1,800. I have accepted that I may not get the job, but I know that I am perfect for it, and they will see this tomorrow.

I only hope that the questions asked are good for me to answer, as I can't cover all bases with my experience.

havy

HSC

well up to this stage I assume everyone would have equal odds, hope that you'll get the lucky questions.

havy

HSC

dunno if this helps...maybe u should pretend that u already got the job and just making some routine presentations to your superiors.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

haha well they basically said that i already have the job :p but now the pressure is on not fucking up.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC

i got my hands on a summer internship at Goldman Sachs Beijing Branch over the coming holidays. How useful is that for a first year student do you guys think?

havy

HSC

assume you are already working there, if you screw up a product launch or something, then your job will be at risk anyway. just consider that u may face similar sort of pressure in the future for every presentation u make to the bosses and you will "get use" to it.

havy

HSC

dyun said:
i got my hands on a summer internship at Goldman Sachs Beijing Branch over the coming holidays. How useful is that for a first year student do you guys think?
:eek: nice nice....well i think you'll probably hav no problem getting a grad banking job at anywhere. how did u get it in ur 1st yr? and all the way in beijing?

Last edited:

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC

havy said:
:eek: nice nice....well i think you'll probably hav no problem getting a grad banking job at anywhere. how did u get it in ur 1st yr? and all the way in beijing?
I am pretty lucky because my father has a friend who has a friend in Goldman Sachs in Beijing. Has anyone here interned there or in other IBanks before? What sort of environment and work can I expect? (i.e. would I get yelled at by people to fetch MacDonalds for them? lol)

stazi

Nightman
HSC

it depends. in China you may have to do very mundane tasks, being an intern.

and yay. interview soon

stazi

Nightman
HSC

that went very well, overall. however, im nervous as hell. should find out friday

stazi

Nightman
HSC

thankyou. ill need a bit of luck on my side. ahhh so nervous.

s.m.i.t.h

HSC

good work dude
how long did the interview go for?
and who'd u interview with?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

Cheers! Went for an hour and a half (that was the max allowed, as they had people booked every 1.5 hours). Interview was with Jean (the recruitment manager), the director of marketing (who was surprisingly young) and finally, a bloke who was a group marketing manager.

I've been told that Jean is an incredibly harsh interviewer to the point where people lose their place, and start freaking out, as she will keep interrupting candidates and asking for more info, and for them to backtrack. However, she was super nice during the interview.

I asked afterwards why my experience was so different to others', and she said it's because "i actually answered in detail what they needed". She also said that I was very good, but was unwilling to disclose more. Sadly, she won't have that much input into the decision, as the functional staff interviewing me will decide.

I also asked a question which they orgasmed over. In the interest of retaining my competitive advantage, i won't reveal it until the interviews are over.

beverly

HSC
N/A

Sounds like it went well!
To be honest I don't think you have too much to worry about- nothing that you couldve done yourself since I think it'll just be a numbers game seeing as there are few spots. From the candidates that Ive ever come across none of them have ever had any hands-on marketing experience (other than uni)..and you seem to have more than that plus what it takes

When they know they have so few spots it makes you wonder why they bother putting everyone through so many rounds before even a face to face round when you could probably just group interview those who have said they have related experience- even if some have made it up it'd still leave them with more than enough candidates to choose from. They could combine the PST on the same day and consolidate the recruitment process. I say that since it seems these positions aren't like your typical internships where minimal or even zero knowledge (aside from uni) or practical experience is necessary.

Oh, and to add to that list of flaws in the recruitment..how about the fake/incorrect email I got..

stazi

Nightman
HSC

oh i know heaps with practical experience - i know that two of my direct competitors have heaps.

beverly

HSC
N/A

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant. I think by now all of you have the factors that they're looking for, just need to be within the number of positions they have!

Which is why I was musing over why they have so many initial rounds when realistically more then 3/4 of the people would immediately be unwanted in the interview stages.....

stazi

Nightman
HSC

not necessarily though. a lot of people have lots of valuable non-work related experience

lexie85

HSC

on a side note stazi, whats the p&g website ?

stazi

Nightman
HSC

www.pg.com interested in interning next year?

google would have also helped you find it :p your data finding skills are at noob level

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)