Internships 2008/09 (2 Viewers)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
How did you get booked onto economy in the first place?

Huy

HSC
N/A
KPMG internship 08/09 just ended yesterday.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Re: internships 07

someone told me macq was hiring a huge amount this year ie: 100+ across divs, 50+ ibd

anyone confirm?

i know that ubs, db, amro, lazard, jp and macq are past first rounds already
best of luck people
Was reviewing this thread to double check when the interns dates are... (relieved to see July)...

Saw this post...

Just had to quote it.

I mean damn. Echoes of brighter days or what?

paperpromises

HSC

Was reviewing this thread to double check when the interns dates are... (relieved to see July)...

Saw this post...

Just had to quote it.

I mean damn. Echoes of brighter days or what?
Tell me about it. I don't think a day at uni passes without someone commenting about how tough it is this year...

On another note, depending on which firm(s) you're interested in applying for, some of the bigger ones have already begun recruiting for their summer vacation/intern programs. Most of these recruit in July and March, but from what I've heard, if positions fill up in March for the popular services lines then July applicants will miss out... or something like that.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Im applying for Credit Suisse at the moment. They are asking for your High School grades? Did people list individual subjects or just your UAI and leave the 'subject' section blank?

Furthermore did you just upload a transcript or upload it and input the marks also?

Huy

HSC
N/A
I did individual subjects. Had to dig them up.

I uploaded a transcript as well as individual marks inputted.

ArdiG

HSC
Can anyone tell me if it is worth my applying for vacation work (with the big 4) even though I am not in my penultimate year of study?

I have completed a Bachelor of Commerce at Melb Uni but I'm now studying law. I took up law for three reasons, 1) because I have always had a passion/interest in it 2) because I was worried I would struggle to get a job that I'd be interested in keeping given we are in a recession and 3) because studying Commerce made me realise just how relevant a law degree actually is.

I'm not sure that I want to work in Law. My interest and brain seems to be more centred on Commerce, particularly Finance. Although I'm considering M&A, I wouldn't mind getting some experience at KPMG in say, Government Advisory or Corporate Advisory or even Tax. But, given I'm not strictly penultimate this year, would it be pointless in applying to these firms for vac work?

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
In Order, how do employers regard: work experience, grades and extracurricular for internship selections?

Do you need a lot of relevant work experience or just some minor work experience, great grades and good extracurricular would be sufficient?

Foodie

HSC
N/A
In Order, how do employers regard: work experience, grades and extracurricular for internship selections?

Do you need a lot of relevant work experience or just some minor work experience, great grades and good extracurricular would be sufficient?
I can't speak for the last two, but I can say with a fair degree of certainty that work experience is close to irrelevant when applying for internships or grad positions, unless of course, it came down to the bottle and the work experience thing may be seen to be an indicator of your 'bad ass' time management skills, or a mitigating factor in conjunction w/ weak(er) grades.

They don't expect you to have work experience as you are after all, full time students. They do, however, highly regard a strong academic record and high involvement in extracurricular activities. You will stand out if you're an executive in some kind of college society.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
Yeah i know most applicants wont really have any "relevant" work experience but Im wondering if someone with some work experience (retail/low end) will be favored much more than an identical applicant without any work experience.

trvxo

HSC

lets do a forecast:wave:

assume you earn $800 a wk during your internship, so thats $1600 per fortnight.
at the same time your income bank increases $200 per fortnight, therefore the net change to the income bank balance is $1400 debit per fortnight.
you'll start with $6000 in the beginning,
and by the end of wk2 u'll hav $4600 offsets left
between wk2 and 3 is xmas holidays - no salary and net gain of $200 offsets for the fortnite: $4800
end of wk4 $3400
end of wk6 $2000
end of wk8 $600
end of wk10, offset reduces to zero, will miss next fortnight centrelink payment if you earn more than $460

in that case you will only miss allowance for one fortnite, u'll start getting allowance again once you finish work.
this mf predickted fortnite :punch::thrust:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)