Investment Banking Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

Rorix

HSC
You definately would want to work at a name investment bank as opposed to a retail bank. That said, on the different areas:

asset management - lower prestige in finance than banking, consulting etc. From what I've heard you don't want to go in entry-level where you'll be doing mundane admin stuff, prefer to enter later where you'll actually have some portfolio pull. Don't know anyone that works in it.

DCM - I assume you know what loan syndication is. Obviously DCM isn't great to enter now but one would think it would pick up again eventually..should get exposure to a decent range of transactions.

Credit Derivs Trading - no idea, but trading is a fundamentally different skillset to DCM and AM...

MasterPUA

HSC
Rorix said:
You definately would want to work at a name investment bank as opposed to a retail bank. That said, on the different areas:

asset management - lower prestige in finance than banking, consulting etc. From what I've heard you don't want to go in entry-level where you'll be doing mundane admin stuff, prefer to enter later where you'll actually have some portfolio pull. Don't know anyone that works in it.

DCM - I assume you know what loan syndication is. Obviously DCM isn't great to enter now but one would think it would pick up again eventually..should get exposure to a decent range of transactions.

Credit Derivs Trading - no idea, but trading is a fundamentally different skillset to DCM and AM...
nice post...pretty much exactly how I was going to respond to 3li.

3li

HSC
N/A
cheers guys
yea i knew they are all very diverse areas within finance

ill probably go to nabCapital trading because I like my maths aha.. and i like the trading floor environment

as for dcm - true its not the right time but i was just getting an idea about banking.

out of curiosity, though m/a and financing are quite diff, are the modelling skills and pitchwork and client contact similar? in that if i were to end up in dcm are my skills to my advantage in applying for m/a?

edit: my chance of going to cs hk are slim now, didnt get contacted on friday.

so fk that dilemma.. nabcapital i think ill go to..
also for asset management its cfsgam, part of cba. but ill scrap that.

Last edited:

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
MasterPUA said:
mate, this is a no brainer. Take CS all day every day.

I've seen people make the switch from banking to trading. A lot of IB analysts tend to 'see the light' and want to switch over to trading after a few months on the job. It's doable - helps if you are a rockstar in the bank.
how do you know?

MasterPUA

HSC
Omnidragon said:
how do you know?
which part of my post were you referring to?

Or are you asking 'how do you know' in an epistemological fashion? In which case, I side with Descartes and support internalism.

is a roflcopter
HSC
3li said:
my chance of going to cs hk are slim now, didnt get contacted on friday.
i think everyone here thought you already got an offer from cs......especially from the way you spoke- thinking about what offer to take, etc

this is an example of tempting fate.

you should never tempt fate.

3li

HSC
N/A
yes fk

im quite shocked but wat can u do. also upset

i feel shitted all over by them. hmm

wasted 3 weeks of my time..

yea dont count chickens b4 they hatch!

yea update: got rejected for cshk, but i asked her did i just waste all that time she said no theres higher chance for me to get summer 09

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)