Investment Banking Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

3li

HSC
N/A
2tangy said:
That sounds good! I applied for equities, for the banks... so that means I have a chance still!
yea mate i appliued for equities as well but i highly doubt thats the case

i think all wuldve been sent at the one time

o well

2tangy

HSC
Yeah I think so too.. I dont think we have a real chance anymore. Likre surely they woudl of rang the other divisions as well right?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Go easy on your self mate, if you miss out this time there is always the big 4 accounting firms (who have corporate finance depts), and also remember there is also economic factors in play too and that in a normal year you probably would have gotten a few interviews.

2tangy

HSC
Yeah mate. Yeah, to be honest I want to find out for certain if thats the case. If anyone has had interviews, which is NOT IBD.. ? Anyone?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Who is ready for the MAC Bank interview and 3.5 hour test? I wonder what could possibly take 3.5 hours to test?

ttiGeR

HSC
N/A
Do investment banks ask you to provide your HSC transcripts during the application process/interviews ? I have a high GPA but lowish UAI...:(

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
Ralph said:
Who is ready for the MAC Bank interview and 3.5 hour test? I wonder what could possibly take 3.5 hours to test?
Hey Ralph,
I got mine on wednesday. problem for me is that my interview finishes about the same time as the psych test starting, so it might be 4.5 hours straight for me >.<

good luck to everyone going through the rounds at the other banks!

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
ttiger: Join the club,.Mac doesn't ask (my mate got the internship lastyear).

Peanutbolt: at least someone is switched on around here,i left the booking till lateand have to wait around 3hours after my interview-thank g-d i have friends that live nearby!

leoyh

mic`
HSC
hey how many do the big investment banks usually take as interns? So like deutsche bank, morgan stanley and jpmorgan.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
peanutbolt said:
Hey Ralph,
I got mine on wednesday. problem for me is that my interview finishes about the same time as the psych test starting, so it might be 4.5 hours straight for me >.<

good luck to everyone going through the rounds at the other banks!

peanutbolt:
if you dont mind, can u share with us your wam? it's nice to know that a 3rd yr can get an interview :uhhuh:

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
leoyh said:
hey how many do the big investment banks usually take as interns? So like deutsche bank, morgan stanley and jpmorgan.

I know for a fact the db takes 15-20 between melbourne and sydney.Mac last year took 37. not sure about morganstanley and jpmorgan, but from what i gather from ppl i know that interned there, its not too many.

NickLG

HSC
Hey guys, currently in year 12 and have signed with PwC for a cadetship. This thread caught my eye because in the long run I think I would be interested in IB.

So the internship stage, it's over the summer holidays right? What is the reason you guys are doing these internships? Is it because after you do an internship (say with Mac bank) it makes it easier for you to find employment with them in IB after you graduate because you've already done some work for them?

I'm planning to complete my cadetship with PwC, get my CA while still there and then possibly look to transfer to IB with one of these banks. My second question is, for post graduate recruitment (I think they call it "professional" recruitment), do any of you know what the process would be for me once I reach that stage after having my BComm, CA and having worked for PwC for a number of years?

Nick

HSC
NickLeG said:
Hey guys, currently in year 12 and have signed with PwC for a cadetship. This thread caught my eye because in the long run I think I would be interested in IB.

So the internship stage, it's over the summer holidays right? What is the reason you guys are doing these internships? Is it because after you do an internship (say with Mac bank) it makes it easier for you to find employment with them in IB after you graduate because you've already done some work for them?

I'm planning to complete my cadetship with PwC, get my CA while still there and then possibly look to transfer to IB with one of these banks. My second question is, for post graduate recruitment (I think they call it "professional" recruitment), do any of you know what the process would be for me once I reach that stage after having my BComm, CA and having worked for PwC for a number of years?

Nick
do you even know what ib involves or are you simply interested in doing it because it apparently pays well?

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
Ralph:
3 hours aint so bad! you can go out and grab a bite to eat :p
I'm nervous about the test though, its right after lunch and that's when i have my naptime :(

Mitsui:
It really isn't dependent on your wam too much (Im currently on 80), and don't be too harsh on yourself, macq bank really cracked down on non-penultimates this year cos they tend to intern elsewhere or never come back. atleast now you know what the process is like!

cheers.

NickLG

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
do you even know what ib involves or are you simply interested in doing it because it apparently pays well?
I applied for UBS for a cadetship and got an offer but I didn't think I was ready to head into the finance industry just yet, PwC was definately the better offer anyway. Since there was only 2 people offered spots from how ever many hundreds of applicants there were (I think though they reassigned my position when I told them I'd accepted another offer so 3 offers I supoose). You would think I'd have to know a bit about what IB is about to get accepted then wouldn't you agree? Also ifsonotso I'm not looking to be flamed here I just asked a simple question if that's alright with you mate. If you don't know the answer that's fine don't worry about it just leave someone else to do the talking.

Nick

HSC
NickLeG said:
I applied for UBS for a cadetship and got an offer but I didn't think I was ready to head into the finance industry just yet, PwC was definately the better offer anyway. Since there was only 2 people offered spots from how ever many hundreds of applicants there were (I think though they reassigned my position when I told them I'd accepted another offer so 3 offers I supoose). You would think I'd have to know a bit about what IB is about to get accepted then wouldn't you agree? Also ifsonotso I'm not looking to be flamed here I just asked a simple question if that's alright with you mate. If you don't know the answer that's fine don't worry about it just leave someone else to do the talking.

Nick
I wasn't trying to flame you- there's a big difference between operations which I believe the cadetship was in and ib not sure if you knew this or not and from the post above it seems like you didn't. Mac Bank etc is considered an IB but not all divsions within Mac Bank are IBD.

I cannot comment on how difficult it is to get into an Investment Bank and specifically IBD since I'll admit I don't know anyone personally who's done that as an experienced hire coming from a big 4 environment. I know people working in IBs for quite some time now but they didn't go big 4 path initially to get in- I don't think there'd be many people on the forums who'd be able to give you a guaranteed answer and advise you how attractive the experience/CA will be(I guess it comes down to the industry group, clients you have worked on etc). I'd imagine it'd be useful and experience at a big 4 would be valued but how much so I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
Ralph said:
I know for a fact the db takes 15-20 between melbourne and sydney.Mac last year took 37. not sure about morganstanley and jpmorgan, but from what i gather from ppl i know that interned there, its not too many.
Adding to this Mac last year took 72, Morgan Stanley took 5. JPMorgan I think was 8.

NickLG

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
I wasn't trying to flame you- there's a big difference between operations which I believe the cadetship was in and ib not sure if you knew this or not and from the post above it seems like you didn't.

Mac Bank etc is considered an IB but not all divsions within Mac Bank are IBD.
Sorry mate I thought you were having a go at me.

Yea well I know that I'm going to be working in Financial Services next year in Assurance at PwC, so I suppose I would be doing some work on companies that are in the IB industry. I've heard that the CA is regarded highly in most places in the business world. Also Nicholas Moore current CEO of Mac Bank started at PwC and has his CA...........

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
NickLeG said:

Nick
Fromwhat i understand,what you described above is pretty commonly done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)