Investment Banking (1 Viewer)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
The chances of that are a fraction above zero.

In regards to "being rich", you are not going to make big amounts working for someone. Not saying working for someone is a bad thing, but as long as you are an employee, you can't earn nearly as much as the business owner.

It is estimated that the employer will generate 4 times the amount income of your earnings. So if you salary is 100K, the business will earn 400K from your work. (Keep in mind that not all of it is profit but a lot of it will be.)

In the end, the economy is business driven and when you are an employee you are just a cog for the company you work for to generate lots of profit.
Doesn't mean you can just start up shop and expect the money to come. Companies go to firms like UBS, JPM, etc. because of the reputation that they have built up over decades (centuries even, for some). That's something you don't get if you create your own company. If working for a large firm, in return for getting less of the profits you generate yourself you're getting guaranteed work. If you work for yourself, you get all the profits for yourself but getting work is no longer definite.

Also you said "you can't earn nearly as much as the business owner". That's what shares are for ;) So if you work for a company, and own shares, you not only get definite work (and salary) but you also own parts of businesses which earns you more money.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
And Lloyd Blankfein CEO and chairman of GS has a net worth of over $1B.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
From his own investments. His salary as CEO is 22 million, 2 million in base salary. Justin Bieber makes 4 times what he makes.
Source? i'm almost 100% JB doesnt earn more then $22 million a year, and nowhere near 88 million a year mate.(apart from maybe one year when he was at his peak, and thats a one off)

You won't be anywhere close to either cause you'll think singers will make times x amount whatever you make in your life and you'll hate every job you do.

Also trhe amount of JBs that music will create is much less then the millionaires that finance create in any given time which overtake JBs total net worth, choose your luck.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
http://www.forbes.com/profile/justin-bieber/
Don't know how reliable that is, but it says that in 2012 JB made 80 mil + idk if thats his peak

At any rate, I would think that his window for earning capacity would be fairly limited compared to a corporate who's portfolio would be probably 40 odd years in the making

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Justin Bieber has been making 50-70 million per year since 2012 and it's only going up. Hell, even Miley Cyrus makes three times what Blankflein makes in a year. Sorry, guys but you've been wasting your time pursuing investment banking. The entertainment industry is where it's at. /s

@chrono: google 'justin bieber salary'
lol this guy

Chronost

HSC
Justin Bieber has been making 50-70 million per year since 2012 and it's only going up. Hell, even Miley Cyrus makes three times what Blankflein makes in a year. Sorry, guys but you've been wasting your time pursuing investment banking. The entertainment industry is where it's at. /s

@chrono: google 'justin bieber salary'
One source from Heavy.com mate, most legit site I've heard for telling how much celebraties earn per year right? If i look further sources are telling me hes earning more in the $15 million range

2012 was his peak , he fell pretty hard since 2014 I'm quite sure he isn't earning anywhere what he earned back then.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
One source from Heavy.com mate, most legit site I've heard for telling how much celebraties earn per year right? If i look further sources are telling me hes earning more in the $15 million range

2012 was his peak , he fell pretty hard since 2014 I'm quite sure he isn't earning anywhere what he earned back then.
He's been peaking in popularity lately though with his latest material...

Also, I'm pretty sure being a full time big shot celebrity/entertainer is far more stressful than investment banking lol

Chronost

HSC
He's been peaking in popularity lately though with his latest material...

Also, I'm pretty sure being a full time big shot celebrity/entertainer is far more stressful than investment banking lol
Yeah I understand he's growing in popularity but I think there's definitely a difference between him now and 2012 where it was literally peak because of all the girls,concerts,news etcc...

etxpy

HSC
N/A
From his own investments. His salary as CEO is 22 million, 2 million in base salary. Justin Bieber makes 4 times what he makes.
If you think Lloyd Blankfein make $1B from his own private investments, you are a delusional moron. Do you not understand that Goldman even as a listed enterprise still has a partnership? His stock options within his time as CEO is what made him this figure.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/g...eo-lloyd-blankfein-net-worth-2015-7?r=UK&IR=T

His current net worth is 1.1 billion, 500 million in GS stocks, 600 million in his real estate and investment portfolio. His new worth in 2015 was 450 million. Goldman sachs was worth 180 in 2015, now it's worth 150. You do the maths and tell me who's the delusional moron.
Well you still are.

Quote: According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, the massive surge in his wealth is due to him being the largest individual shareholder in investment banking giant Goldman Sachs, which manages nearly $US911.5 billion (£583 billion) in assets.

Goldman Sachs’ share price has quadrupled since it went public in 1999. Blankfein has a $US500 million (£320 million) stake in the group. His ownership of 2.24 million shares makes him the bank’s largest stockholder.

That and his 200-300M salary figures over time clearly doesn't justify your belief that he relies on his '$2m base salary'. If you and your second year finance knowledge enables you to enlighten everyone else regarding this industry, why don't you reply to my hedge fund post? This is the second time I've used your own argument against you. Seriously, drop out of USyd. You really are a disgrace.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No need to get heated with insults

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
You asked a pretty broad question. What prop shop? Let's take FM as an example. You can make a lot. It's pretty easy to figure out just looking at their FUM, staff numbers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)