IP and Drug Themes (1 Viewer)

RoryC

HSC
Ok so Im thinking about doing a monologue where a guy describes the experience he had whilst on acid, its full of black humour.

Is this a bad idea? How will the markers react to drug theme'd monologues?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
as long as you can make it realistic
go on a field trip and interview some druggies...

as long as it's mature, i dont see why theyd have a problem with it

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
RoryC said:
How will the markers react to drug theme'd monologues?
"We really enjoyed your performance, please send in the next person"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think you just have to be careful about how you go about it. It is a very easy topic to fall into stereotype. I'd probably say the opposite of katie though. Prersonally, I'd be making it as surrealist, symbolic and absurdist as I could. Really take the piece to places you wouldn't normally expect.

I would agree though that you have to be mature about it. Teen style jokes probably won't go down well with the markers.

N

Nicola1616

I think your idea sounds fantastic!! Have you read 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'? It's by, I think, Hunter S. Thompson. It's also a film with Johnny Depp. He's strung out on acid the whole time - very funny - it might feed into your idea well. Good luck

RoryC

HSC
Hmmm now Im torn between what to do!

If anyone would like to have a read of the piece I was thinking of doing just let me know, Im looking for any form of honest opinion :)

N

Nicola1616

Hey - how are you going with your ip? I heard something funny the other day, from a show or something - this guy said that the next time he smuggled drugs he would pretend to be blind and stick the drugs up his dogs bum so that if the sniffer dogs sniffed there, everyone would think they were just being friendly - I thought of your monologue!

ilovemydreads

HSC
well i wrote my ip on a teen who takes ice, but it was more about the sadness and anger and things like that, so i dont really know, i guewss it depends how you go about it. if its like YAY TAKE DRUGS KIDS or you actually 'take' the drugs onstage maybe not so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)