iPod generation going DEAF!! (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
THE day the music died may already be dawning for the iPod generation. New research shows more than two-thirds of young Australians may have suffered some degree of hearing loss from listening to loud music, The Australian reports.

Despite warnings of the danger that MP3 players, including iPods, pose to hearing, 60 per cent of Australians who use them have the volume up sufficiently high to damage their ears.

the rest:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23838300-5014108,00.html
Who's going deaf?

HSC
I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of people listen to their music ridiculously loud.

I blame our noisy public transport!

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I don't need a degree to tell you that playing loud music close to the ear drum with little external 'channel' is damaging.

I also don't need a degree to know that by the time my hearing is diminished from repeated iPod abuse they will have created some cure! :D

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
i have permanent tinnitus
wow thats gotta suck

i dont have an eyepod but i will probably suffer some hearing loss because of how loud the music is in clubs and i go there often.

JonnoisBored

HSC
Exphate said:
Pretty sure the user manuals come with a warning about this shit.
mcdonalds puts the nutritional content of their food in their restraunts, yet they are being sued for making people obese and unhappy.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
JonnoisBored said:
now your trying to trick me?, your moving your mouth but nothing is coming out except these little dots... :(
Well then I guess this place is for you. But you're ability to actually imagine me saying an ellipsis while still not being able to hear it is a tad worrying.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
don't have your music up too loud, simple. they say you should be able to hear someone a metre away talking any louder and it is too loud and is causing damage.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
lol at teh comments
It's not so much that portable music players damage hearing. For mainstream pop culture and the mentioned age group it seems to be important to not only listen to crap music, but to make sure people around you know what crap music you listen to, so the right people can think you're cool. Be it hoons crusing through the city with doof doof audible from down the street, or that fat white guy on the bus listening to rap 'music' on his ipod, that makes you cringe from 5 seats away. I would agree that concerts and nightclubs tend to have a volume significantly higher than necessary. Most venues now sell ear plugs (at inflated prices, much like water and soft drinks etc), however these tend to deaden the experience, and simply turning the volume down 20% would be a much more beneficial solution for everyone. Then again, perhaps these venues are catering to the crowd who are already partially deaf from years of too loud music. If it's too loud, you're not too old, you're too young!

JonnoisBored

HSC
Schroedinger said:
In

ear

ear
buds

noise
cancelling
ear
buds

hey what are you doing using an mp3 player those are based on science which contradicts the bible YOU SINNER!
in ear damages your hearing just as much, the sound is trapped inside your ear thats how it seems louder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)