IP's that have recieved Band 6 (1 Viewer)

DramaBoy06

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm doing my HSC performacne this year. I was originally going to write one myself about a mental patient. I've been told that many people do these sorts of monologues.....True??

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
DramaBoy06 said:
Hey guys,

I'm doing my HSC performacne this year. I was originally going to write one myself about a mental patient. I've been told that many people do these sorts of monologues.....True??
Yes, a lot of people do choose to do monologues about mental patients/mad people/mental disorders and the like. That doesn't mean you can't do one which is still entertaining and holds meaning, but you if you're self devising you really need to be careful to avoid "self devised psychodrama" which is frankly crap, 99% of the time. Avoid making it too...gah, how do i say this...too darkly serious, because although it seems all dramatic and good on paper, in performance it can often just be boring. It's fine to deal with a serious issue though, as long as it's still accessible to the audience. Tell us more about your idea...character details, etc. What style were you planning on making this perfromance? dont be discouraged by people telling you that "everybody" does this type of monologue but do realise that it can sometimes be hard to be original, which is what the markers want. good luck with it though.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
DramaBoy06 said:
Hey guys,

in the words of the great mel brooks

"keep it funny, keep it sunny, keep it gay."

truer words were never sung. dont do it.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I got 95. avoid internet crap. adapting from other mediums is good, but preferably not films, and only do it if your good and love the piece. however, a play is probably the best and easiest sourse. avoid mental patient/asylum... the markers will destroy you. work hard and don't leave it to the last- if you think you can, then your not really aware of the standard expected. Some can pull off a rushed job, but most can't.

Skillo is the best and correct on almost everything.

scram_toots

HSC
Im doing my HSC Ind. Performance this year and i have NFI what im gnna do really. orginally i was going to adaptthis massive interview - one of marilyn monroe's last - into a monologue and i feel that it would work really well but unfortunately im too scared to do the accent. i do want to try it someday but i feel like my hsc is a damn risky time to try andget that polished. Im a girl and im into comic roles, I can play eccentric characters really well, but im just having so much trouble. I've already read through this post and im going to look at bombshells as suggested by alleyCat(thanks heaps) but does anyone have any personal favourites they seen under that kind of criteria.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
scram_toots said:
I can play eccentric characters really well, but im just having so much trouble. I've already read through this post and im going to look at bombshells as suggested by alleyCat(thanks heaps) but does anyone have any personal favourites they seen under that kind of criteria.
yes yes yes do bombshells!

my personal favourite (aside from the mary o'donnell one i did) is the mother, but that takes a lot of practice to pull it off. all of them are fantastic though, any one of then would work, except for zoe struthers which is a little too technical. if you can do the eccentric meek/wild housewife then do the cactus one, that'd be original and fun.

let me know if you need any help. bombshells is the best.

sometimes adaptations from books can work, but get guidance from your teacher as to what would transfer well to the stage.

scram_toots

HSC
AlleyCat said:
yes yes yes do bombshells!

...but get guidance from your teacher as to what would transfer well to the stage.
thanks heaps for your suggestions and all haha.

my problem is that my teacher is absolutely shocking so im really trying to do this on my own but both my brother and sister did reallly well in hsc drama so ill ask them for their help but im pretty much doing this course on my own, because im telling my drama teacher is a F***WIT! sigh...our whole class has tried to get her overthrown but our school is wanky.

lou22

HSC
hey everyone - seems like there is quite a wide source of knowledge here.. maybe you can help me out.
its just an idea, nothing concrete of course, but has anyone out there ever performed a mime for the hsc or know of anyone that has? would the judges have different marking criteria?
or if that falls through.. what are your thoughts on incorporating mime into a monologue?
thanks

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
lou22 said:
hey everyone - seems like there is quite a wide source of knowledge here.. maybe you can help me out.
its just an idea, nothing concrete of course, but has anyone out there ever performed a mime for the hsc or know of anyone that has? would the judges have different marking criteria?
or if that falls through.. what are your thoughts on incorporating mime into a monologue?
thanks
ahhh... in our class this year, we had 1 student attempt a non-spoken, mime sort of preformance IP... It never quite worked out and it was an up-hill battle. She could move well and dance (Irish dancing), but, well she just wasn't quite clever enough to make funny jokes and a story that made sense. Maybe if she had worked off a mime "script" (I'm sure they exist) instead of self-devising she would've faired better. However, it can be done, althjough because 1 of the marking criteria is voice, I'd be wanting to make some sorts of sounds too (even if they are just ooohs and laughing etc).

What sort of mime are you thinking of? Like, really old-school mime with the white gloves and make up? Or something else? Have you got any story ideas?

lou22

HSC
thanks for the quick reply.
well as i said its not set in concrete - i still need to research a lot and watch mimes etc but yeh i was thinking old school. i was chosen to perform a mime with about 6 other people (it was only a small thing though) late last year so i know a few tricks already, and id probably try and find a 'mime script' and adapt it..
but yeh its still pretty up in the air - thanks for the input though its helping!

melaniemelanie

HSC
lou22 said:
thanks
If you're thinking about doing mime and going to watch OnStage this year you're in luck. A boy from a school in dubbo, performed an absolutely BRILLIANT performance which was all mime/movement..except for the minor times when he spoke it was in gibberish (but mainly just expressionistic sounds)...it was so professional and by far the best on the program that we saw (program A by the way).

I think the inspiration from the piece was that it was amazing to see someone actually attempt mime for their hsc and pull it off...he actually had every single person in the theatre captivated by his piece. It was such a simple storyline about making everything so perfect for a picnic in the park for a rendesvous (can't spell that - and dont feel like trekking to dictionary.com :)) yet it worked so classically. In the end the person didnt show up...the "ohhhhhhh" coming from the 1000 people in the theatre was amazing. Just shere brilliance.

lou22

HSC
omg that is amazing! i am seeing onstage on friday night actually so i am wishing and hoping so badly that it is program A. ill try and look now if there is an onstage website and i might be able to find out about the programs
thanks again!

k_1989

Blondi
HSC
Hey melanie, I saw Onstage today aswell, and was lucky enough to see Program A, and could not agree with you more. Joseph Simons piece was absolutely a-ma-zing, definitely the standout performance of the day. I also liked Elise Fabris' monologue, "Doing it for the penguins", which, for the most part, was performed on a stationary bike, and the standout group performance for me was the group of boys from Knox doing "a very mellow drama". But, you cant go past Josephs monologue, "Cest La Vie", which had everyone in the audience so captivated. His movement was perfect and to see how he established a story with the use of nothing but a bit of gibberish was really eye-opening. Everyone in the audience loved him and he received a standing ovation (well deserved). Another great ip that I saw (and not just coz hes a good friend of mine) was Andrew Mcklennans Video Drama "Life". If anyones lucky enough to go see onstage, look out for it, it has some really great people from Mater Maria in it :)

I also just wanted to ask about what people thought of music/sound effects in their monologues, I know its common in group performances and it was used often in Onstage today, and I want to use it, but some people have advised against it. Also about costume and props, like, how much is too much? this is probably all in some manual that I havent bothered to read, but Im just curious...thanks :)

lou22

HSC
wow im really glad i have booked to see onstage on friday! do you have any idea if it will be program A on friday night? im really hoping it is
thanks

melaniemelanie

HSC
lou22 said:
wow im really glad i have booked to see onstage on friday! do you have any idea if it will be program A on friday night? im really hoping it is
thanks
Whenever I've been at night its been Program B, and during the day Program A. But I would assume they'd change it around. (So the actors get night/day performances etc.) You should ask your teacher, he/she should probably know. Hopefully it'll be your lucky day on the night!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
um i saw program A on tuesday night, and from what i've been told they swap around from night to day, so using that logic you will be seeing program A if you go for the matinee performance, and it'll be B at night. i think. dont quote me on that though.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
fleepbasding said:
Skillo is the best and correct on almost everything.
SO SIGGED!

Lol.

Hey guys, I know above I said that I would help out ppl who need it...just letting you know that I'm now not responding to any PMs or emails from ppl requiring full monologues. I will still answer questions ONLY though. The response was overwhelming and I'm really sorry to those ppl I didn't get to write back to...However on Monday I commence my course at uni - VCA (and move to melbourne in the process!) and want to concentrate on that and leave Yr 12 behind (finally!).

If you do need help, I'll still read the PMs and emails I get...I really can't say I'll respond to them. One thing for sure is I'm no longer handing out monologues to ppl, despite my fast typing speed, it was really time consuming and tough work on my part. I will give advice and responses to questions that won't take me more than 15mins to respond to.

I'll still be round the forums tho...can't get rid of me. :p

GuestNicholas

HSC
Hey Everyone.
I just want to say that Bombshells is an incredible source for monologues. I think the ones in Bombshells are BRILLIANT and i wish to find something as good as those. Does anyone know of any monologue books for guys that are just like this???

Thanks!!!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
GuestNicholas said:
Hey Everyone.
I just want to say that Bombshells is an incredible source for monologues. I think the ones in Bombshells are BRILLIANT and i wish to find something as good as those. Does anyone know of any monologue books for guys that are just like this???

Thanks!!!
yes yes yes agreeeeeeed!

i dont know about guys short plays. im sure there are some around though, maybe not in the same form but all the same... i saw a piece called "dwarf spotting" at last years short and sweet festival which was very good, and i would have done if i were a more convincing man (and i hadnt found BOMBSHELLS...) and there are also good crime pieces with male characters.

a friend of mine did "fear and loathing in las vegas" which was very effective. i think he got full marks. just look around, youll find your perfect piece eventually. i had sooo many seemingly "perfect" parts that i wanted to do, but as soon as i read bombshells mary odonnell, i was absolutely sold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)