IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

Takuto

HSC
thanks for your contribution ^^ feel free to add as many questions as you want, the more the merrier

and thanks for clarifying that Sam, lol. btw, i have found your textbooks very helpful and enjoyable this year, especially for SDD. your writing style is easy to follow and simple - highly recommended!!

Last edited:

peteryang

HSC
MrKim said:
What is 'metadata'? and what does it do?
metadata is "data about data", basically data that describes other data, for example HTML documents use metadata in the form of HTML tags to describe the contents and layout of a web page.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Really it's more "Information about data", eg descriptions of fields in a data dictionary.

Seeing as no one would answer this question in the other thread properly, I'll post one I don't know :)

What is a check digit? Provide an example of one and how its used.

This question refers to the Data validation rules (Type check, list check, range check, check digit).

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
havent started looking at ipt yet until now.
cram time today.
:read:

Takuto

HSC
Makro said:
Really it's more "Information about data", eg descriptions of fields in a data dictionary.

Seeing as no one would answer this question in the other thread properly, I'll post one I don't know :)

What is a check digit? Provide an example of one and how its used.

This question refers to the Data validation rules (Type check, list check, range check, check digit).
a check digit is an extra number added to the end which is calculated by an algorithm performed on the original number

this is an extra piece of information which makes sure the entered data is the same as the received data (algorithm is performed once by the sending device, then again by the receiving device, check digits are compared to ensure no tampering or errors have occurred)

e.g. 93 is entered and a check digit is calculated to make it '93 5' 5 is check digit from sending device

receivng device with database gets the number as 91 5

it performs a calculation on 91, but ends up getting a check digit of 3, which does not equal 5. this tells us that an error has occurred

right? or completely off track?

Last edited:

crazathiest

HSC
Sounds about right.

- Define the term frame rate and describe how different frame rates affetc the processing and display of video data.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
sounds like you're talking about checksum not check digit. There's no sending or receiving of data if it's just data entry into a form/DB.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
Takuto said:
heyyy gloworm =]

how was ext. 1
hey
it was fucked.
lol.
oh well.
i dont think it will count, nor ipt.
ipt is scaled so badly and im not doing extraordinarily great at it.
may as well try =)

Takuto

HSC
SamD said:
Another question:
Consider your mobile phone as an information system. Describe the external entities and dataflows on a context diagram for this system.
hmm my mobile.. LOL.

lets see

first i know theres a circle in the middle that says mobile phone system bahaha 1 mark there

on the side, i guess an external entitiy would be the mobile user/customer and he would be inputting as well as receiving graphics/video/voice/sound (you can call this service request?) from the main process

another external entity would receive and send this data from the mobile phone information system - it would be an office or centre which is responsible for the actual deliverance of messages.

another external entity = processing firm which is also receiving/sending mobile phone account information from the main system to check if they have enough credit etc.

im just massively bullshitting

god knows whether the hsc markers take it lol

Last edited:

Takuto

HSC
Makro said:
sounds like you're talking about checksum not check digit. There's no sending or receiving of data if it's just data entry into a form/DB.
i know what checksum is, im saying the two are similar

i was thinking check digit relates to the entering of data into a form/db - BUT only if the db/form is on another device or location

u wouldnt do a check digit if its on the same comp.. that sounds too stupid to be true lol

wouldnt it be more for transmission errors

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Ohh, that makes things so much clearer. Thank you. My textbook said nothing about DB being elsewhere.

List and briefly describe the issues relating to messaging systems (Comm. systems)

crazathiest

HSC
Makro said:
Ohh, that makes things so much clearer. Thank you. My textbook said nothing about DB being elsewhere.

List and briefly describe the issues relating to messaging systems (Comm. systems)
Social Context - The message isn't as effective as persay in terms of meeting in person.

Danger of Misinterpretaion - Message could be interpreted, can't tell if people are being positive, negative, sarcastic, etc.

Unwanted Junk Mail - Annoyance of junk mail entering your inbox.

There's more, but yeah.

Takuto

HSC
Makro said:

well you have the misinterpretation of messages. an e-mail usually cant convey emotions/facial expressions as well as tone of voice and body language so the message may easily be misinterpreted. this is self explanatory; many misunderstandings will occur, time will be wasted, trouble as well as constant confusion and need to reiiterate (e.g. you were joking about me being gay? u sounded serious. SCREW U)

the equity of access. if a messaging system is available to some employees, it should be available to all - some wont have the necessary hardware or be given equal access to the messaging system and this will create inconsistencies and make the people who dont have access feel neglected and inferior. e.g. Bob and Jane communicate by email but Sam was not given a email. he feels like a loner. infact he doesnt even have a computer at home. he goes and cuts himself because of this

ill add more, later, abit busy atm lol

Last edited:

cxlxoxk

HSC
Takuto said:
hmm my mobile.. LOL.

lets see

first i know theres a circle in the middle that says mobile phone system bahaha 1 mark there

on the side, i guess an external entitiy would be the mobile user/customer and he would be inputting as well as receiving graphics/video/voice/sound (you can call this service request?) from the main process

another external entity would receive and send this data from the mobile phone information system - it would be an office or centre which is responsible for the actual deliverance of messages.

another external entity = processing firm which is also receiving/sending mobile phone account information from the main system to check if they have enough credit etc.

im just massively bullshitting

god knows whether the hsc markers take it lol
i believe there is also 1 mark allocated to having a title to the diagram.

Eg.

A Context Diagram of my Mobile Phone

my IPT teacher seems to think that anyway...

Takuto

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
i believe there is also 1 mark allocated to having a title to the diagram.

Eg.

A Context Diagram of my Mobile Phone
i dont know about this; i have past hsc success one answers which all do not have a title; they just get straight to the diagram

it would be assumed u are drawing a context diagram of a mobile phone, as the question asks it. i dont think its included as a mark

Takuto

HSC
crazathiest said:
Don't think it'd be much harm to add a title.
yeah

but i am just saying, dont expect to be getting any marks for just a title :p

id think the marking goes like ;

1 for using right symbols incl. squares for external entities, arrows for data flow

1 for having a single process in the middle describing the entire information system

the other 3 on how well you describe the information system using a context diagram <- there is of course a myriad of possible answers so they will mark accordingly.

Last edited:

crazathiest

HSC
They might be generous :p

So, how much study have people done? I've done pretty much nothing still :( feel so burned out and I haven't had an exam since yesterday.

HSC
MrKim said:
I see no one's putting up a question? so i may as well put one up.

What is 'metadata'? and what does it do?
meta data is: data that defines or describes other data, basically it is data about data

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)