• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ipt (1 Viewer)

pumpkinblueeyes

HSC
Any takers think this is a really self-taught subject? Dropping it this year..

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
To some level many of the subjects can be self-taught. It depends on how the individual self teaches him/herself.

Gigacube

HSC
In comparison to other subjects I take I guess you would consider IPT a self-taught subject. You can teach yourself but you still need a teacher to go over the concepts with you so that you know that you're understanding it.

hscishard

HSC
Most is memory, other than the skills ones like calculations and drawing DFDs. So I disagree on the need for understanding the content.
So it is very easy to self-teach

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Most is memory, other than the skills ones like calculations and drawing DFDs. So I disagree on the need for understanding the content.
So it is very easy to self-teach
Agreed.

Most is just definitions and facts.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Pretty much self-taught for me, but it depends on the way you learn.

fakermaker

HSC
Pretty much self-taught for me, but it depends on the way you learn.
My teacher is horrible, so its self-taught for me.

I also hate the type of exam. Its very easy to get the multiple choice wrong...In other exams (modern for instance), the multiple choice is based upon sources given to you. IPT is more dependent on your understanding of the course. Although this sounds easy, it can at times be very complex and annoying. For instance, when we did DBMS we didnt go into tremendous details of every little aspect. One multiple choice question asked what the different types of database displays were called, the answering being views.

If I didnt get that wrong during the practice exam, I would have no idea. I have no doubt that this years multiple choice will ask similar questions that rely on knowledge that will not be universally known.

Galvez

HSC
IPT is a self-taught subject. I find myself doing well in exams, without study.

KrystalBanner

HSC
You can read the text book all you want but you won't achieve a band 6 if that's the only knowledge you're getting from. You can teach the text to yourself, but the understanding and comprehending of the concepts should be discussed in class. i.e. Why is the answer to question 3 'a)'? It's not because the textbook says so. The exam looks out for higher-order thinking. You can't really teach yourself that kind of cognitive thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)